Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,170 times

Advertisements

Give it to me straight, what is the commute time from Clifton Park (say, the mall) to GE Research? I understand traffic can back up on the Rexford bridge, but we're talking 4 miles--is it gridlock for ten minutes or gridlock for 30 minutes? What about traveling south on 87 and coming in via Rte 7? Longer distance but less time?

One thing to keep in mind, I have an elementary age child and am trying to decide if I can leave at a reasonable time or need to adjust. Or I could make plans to live in Nisky but I really don't want to do that.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 05:40 PM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyQuilts View Post
Give it to me straight, what is the commute time from Clifton Park (say, the mall) to GE Research? I understand traffic can back up on the Rexford bridge, but we're talking 4 miles--is it gridlock for ten minutes or gridlock for 30 minutes? What about traveling south on 87 and coming in via Rte 7? Longer distance but less time?

One thing to keep in mind, I have an elementary age child and am trying to decide if I can leave at a reasonable time or need to adjust. Or I could make plans to live in Nisky but I really don't want to do that.

Thanks!
What about living in the Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake school district, which is closer and you would probably have less traffic to deal with? It is a very good school district as well. Latham(North Colonie SD) might be another option to consider as well.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:53 PM

585 posts, read 2,223,905 times
A couple of years ago I had to commute from Clifton Park across the Rexford Bridge. I didn't work at GE but in an area further west along the Mohawk...about the same distance. I had to be at work by 730 and a drive that should take less than 20 minutes took at least 30 minutes. The first half was a breeze but once I hit Balltown Road it usually took 10 minutes to get across that stupid bridge. I've seen traffic backed up for a mile. The light at Aqueduct and Balltown seemed to be the culprit and I heard they were thinking about putting in a round-about. Taking Nott to Riverview instead of 146 from Clifton Park seemed to shave off a couple of minutes.

I heard the route from 7 can get bad too and I doubt it would save you any time.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:25 AM

237 posts, read 1,059,851 times
From the YMCA/Hannaford end of the mall, it's about 12-15minutes to GE R&D without traffic. About 25-30 minutes during traffic. This is going down Moe Rd, then Grooms RD. Definitely, do not take 87 & Rt 7. Lots of traffic and traffic lights.

Shen campus elementary schools start at 8:05, but depending on where you live, the bus may pick up anywhere from 7:15-7:45am. The satelite schools(Okte & Chango) start an hour later.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,170 times
Cigarboo: Thanks for the detailed info without exaggeration. I can make an informed decision and am I am comfortable with. We can't have everything, and we live in upstate NY not DC so I can handle a 15 minute wait at the bridge to have the convenience of walking to the Y and grocery when I get home.
ckh: Burnt Hills was a serious option but no apartment complexes in the district that I could find. Finding anything to rent is an issue and house might be more than I want.
Rmbl: Thanks for the numbers. I can live with 30-minutes, maybe even 40 if I am prepared for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area