Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:46 PM

7 posts, read 18,606 times

Advertisements

I have a couple of questions for everybody. I am driving from Nashville TN to Albuquerque this Saturday with my pops who is helping me move. The trip will be straight down I-40 for 18 hours or so. My dad is into good BBQ retaurants so one of my questions is does anyone have any suggestions for good BBq Restaurants along I-40 excluding Memphis and a good BBQ restaurant or two located in ABQ? Or any restaurant that is a must while my dad is in town helping me get settled?

I am relocating for a new job that I start on June 30th and it is located on 5XXX Menaul Blvd NE, so I am looking for a studio within 3ish miles that is decent and preferrably less than $500 a month until I find where I want to be and get the budget down. I have looked online but am unsure about some places that have caught my eye. Virginian Apts, Pinewood Estates, Home @ Uptown, and the Arbors, are any of these places recommended or do you have any recommendations about places that might be better? I do not mind staying in an extended stay for a bit but would prefer to find a place in the two days I have before I start work. I am 25 so I dont mind a bit of noise or college scene, but would prefer to avoid sketchy places as I would like to ride my bikes to work and would prefer to not have a high chance of my truck being broke into.

I have yet to visit here but have heard alot of great things about this place and I am very excited to relocate here. I have lingered on this bored for a few weeks and have searched but have not found alot of info on this. Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 01:45 PM

5,047 posts, read 7,432,031 times
I am not a big BBQ fan but there is a TX-OK-NM chain called Rudy's (ABQ location is on Carlisle just south of I-40), and there is a place closer to downtown called The Cube (1520 Central Ave. SE) which claims to be Memphis-style.

Good luck with your move!

Old 06-21-2010, 02:08 PM

741 posts, read 2,924,239 times
BBQ:
Mr. Powdrell's, 5209 4th Street NW
Johndi's 3851 Rio Grande Blvd. NW

"Must See" in ABQ:
Frontier Restaurant (on Central across from UNM)
Sadie's 6230 4th NW (New Mexican)
El Pinto 10500 4th NW (New Mexican), food is over-priced/so-so but they have arguably the best outdoor dining setting in the area.

Chap

Old 06-21-2010, 02:20 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,806,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattire85 View Post
a good BBQ restaurant or two located in ABQ? Or any restaurant that is a must while my dad is in town helping me get settled?
Good food and fantastic view of ABQ:
County Line BBQ
www.countyline.com
9600 Tramway Boulevard Northeast
Albuquerque, NM 87122-2245
(505) 856-7477
And this thread has a big list://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...estaurant.html

Rich

Old 06-21-2010, 03:34 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,090,141 times
I remember driving along I-40 Eastbound where we stopped at
a "cowboy" restaurant just after we crossed into OK. It was
EXTREMELY GOOD and I still remember the beans, potato salad,
etc. I can't remember the name, but it wasn't a chain and I think
it had a large cowboy statue outside - visible from the freeway.

I don't know if that helps, but if you start thinking about eating
after you pass OK City, waiting till you see that is worth it.

I'll post again if I can somehow google it and remember the name.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:42 PM

4,875 posts, read 4,817,581 times
Powdrell's is my favorite in town. My experiences with County Line has been spotty, sometimes very good, sometimes not so (but the view is a treat).

I make the I40 drive to/from TN at least once a year. You'll see plenty of signs for the Big Texan in Amarillo. I don't recommend it as there is nothing special about the food (unless you want to see if you can eat the 72 oz steak, which looks like a pot roast). There's a Rudy's in Amarillo, but I like Big Daddy's or Famous Dave's much better. You'l have to Google their locations.

I suggest the Mean Pig in Cabot AR (few miles NE of Little Rock). It's a dive, but good food (and watch the real hot sauce). I also like Eischens in Okarche OK (about 15-20 miles NW of OKC). It's not BBQ, but their fried chicken is about the best I've ever eaten (don't tell my relatives). It's also a dive.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:54 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,452,683 times
I think Mort is referring to the Big Texan in Amarillo.

Just off I-40, in Adrian, TX is a converted garage that is now a pretty decent bbq place. It's called the Antique Ranch.

Coming from TN, you are likely to be disappointed in the BBQ west of you. Famous Dave's and Rudy's are good, but they are both chains and probably nothing like the little hole in the wall places you may be used to.

As far as BBQ in the ABQ area, we're pretty stuck on Sugar's right now ( San Pedro near the fairgrounds ) although Powdrell's and Rudy's will do in a pinch. Worst was Dickey's which, mercifully, has closed.

You'd be much better served by treating your dad to some good New Mexican food while in town.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:15 PM

7 posts, read 18,606 times
Thanks for all the responses. I now have a good list of some restaurants to check out along I-40 both BBQ and other tasty stops.
I am really excited to get a hold of some tasty Mexican food and even more excited to get settled in beautiful Albuquerque. I feel like I am going to be as happy as a pig in mud with all the outdoor sports and scenery that the area has to offer. I am super excited to get some good mountain biking in also.
This site has been great and has helped me out a lot. Thanks for all the valuable members and the great contributions you all make to the site!

Last edited by fattire85; 06-22-2010 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 06-22-2010, 09:35 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,806,646 times
You mean tasty New Mexican food...

Old 06-23-2010, 05:04 AM

1,567 posts, read 4,427,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattire85 View Post
I am really excited to get a hold of some tasty Mexican food and even more excited to get settled in beautiful Albuquerque.
You're in for a double treat: Restaurants in this area offer both Mexican and New Mexican food.

Since my 'media naranja' is of Mexican heritage, she prefers she prefers menudo, tacos al carbón, huevos a la mexicana, and the like. I'm a big fan of green chile stew, breakfast burritos, and chicken enchiladas covered with green chile sauce.

I've found that NM dishes are a bit spicier, partially because of the red/green chile factor.

Whatever your choice, you'll find it here in abundance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque