Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 11:52 AM

699 posts, read 1,017,496 times

Advertisements

I am bidding on Priceline for a hotel for a one week trip in July. DH and I want to get a feel for the area and are considering it for a retirement destination. We want to stay in a safe, pleasant area. Here are the choices Priceline lists for possible areas:
Alb. airport
Alb. East
Alb North
Alb West
Bernalillo
Downtown Alb.
Midtown -Uptown
Rio Rancho
Santa Ana Pueblo

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 12:01 PM

1,323 posts, read 2,040,583 times
Midtown, North, and Downtown.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:18 PM

741 posts, read 2,925,898 times
Strictly on an accommodation level, the Hyatt Tamaya resort blows the others away (this is the only property available in the Santa Ana Pueblo area). However, it is definitely not convenient to the main ABQ area. I've secured Priceline reservations there anywhere between $65-$100/nt.

Alternatively, you can commonly get Priceline reservations at the Hyatt or Doubletree downtown for $45-$65/nt (plus parking). Staying downtown will give you better, quicker access to virtually any part of town.

If you need any pointers in Priceline bidding methodology, I suggest checking out BetterBidding.com.

Chap

Last edited by Chaparral; 07-01-2010 at 01:25 PM..

Old 07-01-2010, 12:57 PM

If we stayed downtown, would we need a rental car? Is there a decent public transportation system?

Old 07-01-2010, 01:15 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,104,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus
... downtown, ... public transportation system?
It's as good as it gets in Albuquerque, but only for getting around for the
locals, not so much for tourists. You can get to Santa Fe from there, but
you can't really get to the Tram, the foothills, East Mountains, etc.

You can get to Old Town, Uptown, Nob Hill, UNM area from there.

There are lots of other places you can go, but I'm not sure why
a tourist would want to go there unless, I guess, you were just
going to walk around neighborhoods to check them out.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:27 PM

366 posts, read 1,249,046 times
Personally, I'd stay downtown. You have easy access to pretty much everything. But you do need a car. Public transportation here is not great.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:22 PM

5,061 posts, read 7,464,211 times
I'd go for Hotel Albuquerque in Old Town. Easy walk to Old Town, which is a must-see, but I'd drive everywhere else unless you're really a bus fanatic.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:23 PM

923 posts, read 2,423,457 times
Here is a list of the priceline hotels for Albuquerque (as per the betterbidding.com website) based on star ratings.
This list is NOT a complete list of all hotels that Priceline offers in this area, it is ONLY a compilation of hotels that have already been reported on this forum.
In light of the above, you MAY get a hotel that is NOT on this list, or get a hotel on this list but at a star level you didn't expect (if the star rating has changed).

Albuquerque (Airport ABQ)
3* Grand Airport Hotel Wyndham (to become Sheraton Airport ~Aug '09)
3* Hyatt Place
2.5* Country Inn And Suites
2* Comfort Inn
1* Extended StayAmerica Economy Airport

Albuquerque (Downtown)
3* DoubleTree Hotel
3* Embassy Suites Hotel and Spa
3* Hyatt Regency (previously 3.5*)
2.5* Plaza Inn

Albuquerque (East)
2* Sandia Courtyard

Albuquerque (Midtown - Uptown)
3* Sheraton Uptown (previously 3.5*)
3* Radisson Park Plaza Inn REVIEW
2.5* Clubhouse Inn
2* Candlewood Suites
2* La Quinta

Albuquerque (North)
2.5* Clarion (7620 Pan American Fwy NE)
2* La Quinta Inn Baymont Inn and Suites

Albuquerque (Santa Ana Pueblo)
4* Resort Hyatt Tamaya

Albuquerque (West)
3* Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town

Based on the list and to be centrally located, I'd go with a 3* downtown or the Hotel Albuquerque (It's listed as a "west" but I think it should be in the "downtown" category.

The only other one I'd shoot for would be the Sheraton Uptown (Midtown/Uptown area). The only problem with bidding in that area for a 3* is that you may end up with the Radisson which is now a waterpark hotel, but as a priceline winner, you would not get passes to the waterpark. What you would get is a VERY LOUD hotel with kids running up and down the corridors late into the evening, and maybe even a cockroach or two (I stayed there a few months ago, so this info is based on my experience). You could use other areas that don't have a 3* for free rebids, but the only area I know for sure that would be safe to bid on that doesn't have a 3* is Santa Ana. Even though an area shows it doesn't have a 3*, the list above may not be current.

If you are being more budget conscious, then go for the Clarion (Alb. North area) which is 2.5*. It's right off of 1-25 so easy access to get around, but not if you are going to be on foot or taking public transportation.

I also recommend getting a rental car. I have gotten local rentals on priceline anywhere from $16 to $22 per day. Seems like the earlier I bid, the cheaper I'm able to secure a car. Check the rental prices for your dates on hotwire first, and then start bidding a a few bucks lower on priceline.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:40 AM

Your kindness makes me want to move re-locate there. Really appreciate all of you who made suggestions, thanks.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:55 PM

184 posts, read 806,490 times
When we were first interviewing and apartment hunting, we enjoyed staying in Albuquerque "UPTOWN" area.. Close enough to downtown, the interchanges, and right there with lot's of restaurants and shopping! I'm a MAC person.. and the Apple Store is right there! I also loved that Trader Joe's moved into UPTOWN!

We stayed at Homewood Suites Uptown. I can't talk about pricing comparisions... because I frankly don't remember, but the hotel had a decent comp breakfast and the lobby/breakfast area was comfortable.

Good luck! Njoy your ABQ experience!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque