Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 10:53 AM

17,914 posts, read 24,522,117 times

Advertisements

That is not such a bad place except that it is slightly hemmed by that fast corner on Coal. I certainly wouldn't say that it is a rough neighborhood. It has the benefit of being a block from a high concentration of restaurants and the advantages whole UNM area. Nob Hill is about 3-5 minutes from there by bicycle. Supermarket and laundromat are walking distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 11:29 AM

5 posts, read 7,054 times
Unless you like that inner-city, multi-cultural street scene, DO NOT move to the Southeast, Southwest or near Northwest quadrants of the city as your first Albuquerque address. I would avoid downtown unless you can afford a higher-dollar secure building. I recommend you stay to the West-Side north of Montano along the Coors corridor, and visit before you rent, or the areas north of Montgomery along the Juan Tabo-to-Tramway corridor. There are other areas that aren't bad, actually and some are very nice, but you need more experience with the city demographics to determine for yourself what suits you.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:24 PM

508 posts, read 1,091,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudHead View Post
Unless you like that inner-city, multi-cultural street scene, DO NOT move to the Southeast, Southwest or near Northwest quadrants of the city as your first Albuquerque address. I would avoid downtown unless you can afford a higher-dollar secure building. I recommend you stay to the West-Side north of Montano along the Coors corridor, and visit before you rent, or the areas north of Montgomery along the Juan Tabo-to-Tramway corridor. There are other areas that aren't bad, actually and some are very nice, but you need more experience with the city demographics to determine for yourself what suits you.
Uh...I don't know what your experiences are, but an inner-city "street scene" doesn't really exist in Albuquerque. There are more "urban" areas, in the sense that places like Austin, TX and Tuscon have urban areas, but even areas directly abutting downtown are full of mostly single-family residential. But, besides the point, why would you want to move to New Mexico and avoid the "multicultural"? Isn't that one of the great things about NM?!?

The only thing I would echo from your post is that you should visit before you rent as there is great variability. But for goodness sakes, the O.P. is lookling for somewhere that has a higher number of young people etc., and you're going to send him to NW Coors? Bottom line, if you're young you'd likely be happiest anywhere within a 2 mile radius of downtown/UNM/Nob Hill - this includes parts of SW ABQ, NE ABQ, NW ABQ, and SE ABQ if you really want to get technical about it.

The area the poster is looking at fits the bill, but the individual apartment complex may not.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:13 AM

17,914 posts, read 24,522,117 times
Some people just live in fear of everything around them, holed up in their 'safe' enclaves protected from people who look poor or unfashionable. Pretty pathetic, really.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:01 PM

4 posts, read 5,783 times
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm definitely open to all types of areas and definitely don't want to be a " cavedweller" of sorts. I mainly just wanted to listen to all the opinions and make a decision. More highly interested in being near a place that is active and convienent. My main work for the film will take place in downtown and i really don't mind a commute of any kind.

Burquebinder did hit it on the nose. About being close to downtown/UNM/NobHill.

(its probably infinitely better than Los Angeles commute times.) =)

I've found an apt near the 40 . Close the Winrock shopping center and the Uptown shopping center and the James Cline Park.

Figured that was a good place to start.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:10 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,765,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA2ABQ View Post
I've found an apt near the 40 . Close the Winrock shopping center and the Uptown shopping center and the James Cline Park.

Figured that was a good place to start.
MUCH better!!!!

Old 07-19-2010, 07:49 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,755,138 times
Wait - It's not the Warren is it??

Old 07-19-2010, 08:02 PM

4 posts, read 5,783 times
Nope not the Warren..

Are there horror stories of ' the Warren'?

Old 07-19-2010, 08:07 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,755,138 times
Well known place for drugs, hookers and police activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: