Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 12:59 PM

66 posts, read 126,908 times

Advertisements

We'll be moving at the tail end of September. We'll be coming in on Amtrak and have some questions that we need to ask. We've got the financial part pretty much planned, its more the city side of things we still have questions of, on specifics.

We need a centrally located hotel that offers weekly or monthly rates. We're planning to stay in one while we look for an apartment and jobs.

I'm in management at McDonalds and will be transferring initially. We're looking more in the UNM/Nob Hill areas as they seem to be the kind of thing we'll be interested in. I assume there's a McDonalds in the area, lol. Are there any near a decent hotel? We'll also be looking to live somewhat near where I'll be living. So an area with decent hotels with monthly or weekly rates and some decently priced apartments would be nice. In fact, a store near apartments is more important than one near the hotels.

We're also looking for nice apartments in the area where we can get a one bedroom or studio in the range of 450-550 a month. We could go 600... but that's pretty much our limit. A one bedroom is preferable but a studio could work. Its just that we tend to be on somewhat different sleep schedules (she goes to bed early, I stay up late) and no bedroom would make that hard...

I also need to know about your local UHaul company or similar moving companies. I'd like to have a truck waiting for us when we get to the Amtrak station there to bring our stuff to our hotel, could that be arranged?

I appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 01:32 PM

32 posts, read 64,293 times
Don't know if you have your heart set on UNM/Nob Hill area but Cibola Village Apartments on Montgomery just west of Tramway would be in your general price range and there's a big McD's right near there in the Smiths shopping center.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:54 PM

Its not set, just an idea. How central is the location there? How's the area? Is there a decent amount of stuff to do around there or would we have to drive a long ways to get to movie theaters and other such things?

Old 07-20-2010, 10:11 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,642,513 times
Whatever you do, don't transfer to the McDonalds at:

Gibson & San Mateo
San Mateo & Menaul
Candelaria & Eubank

They're poorly managed locations with high turnover and constantly mess up orders. Often dirty too. I don't eat at those locations any more.

OTOH, the one at Montgomery & Tramway has probably had many of the same employees since I moved here in January 2008. I haven't ever seen that at McDonalds before, and it's nice. I know the franchise owner of this location does not own any of the lousy spots mentioned above, not sure if they own other locations or not. The San Mateo-Menaul and Candelaria-Eubank franchises are owned by one entity, not sure who owns the Gibson location.

JMHO

Good luck with your move, I don't have any answers but wish you a smooth trip!

Old 07-20-2010, 10:56 PM

I appreciate the advice. I don't plan to stay with McDonalds long term. I've been there five years and its miserable. I really hate it. I've been a manager for two but don't want to come down there as one as I don't plan to stay long. But I need a job when I get there and I'm very good at what I do, I know I'd very much be an asset even if for only a few weeks or a month or whatever.

I may contact just that store.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:33 AM

366 posts, read 871,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing147 View Post
Its not set, just an idea. How central is the location there? How's the area? Is there a decent amount of stuff to do around there or would we have to drive a long ways to get to movie theaters and other such things?
Montgomery & Tramway is nice. It is not centrally located at all. Tramway is the eastern most major road in Albuquerque so you would be right next the mountain. As far as entertainment it depends on what you are interested in. If you want to go Downtown/Nob hill/UNM it will be quite a drive. On the other hand you will be right next to hiking on the trails and plenty of other activities. Off the top of my head you can go up/down tramway really quick and hit up the ice skating rink, Hinkle, a movie theater and the tram obviously. Down Montgomery you have a ton of restaurants, bar & grills, and stores.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:59 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,749,114 times
There is also the fun park down on Indian School, Hastings (Bookstore/CD's/Movies/Video Games) on Candelaria plus Juan Tabo and all it's stores and offerings is the next major street west.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:42 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,448,558 times
There is a weekly rate hotel, a Residence Inn, I believe, near the airport which is a couple of miles south of UNM/Nob Hill and right on a convenient bus route to the area. The UNM/Nob Hill area is pretty much in the center of the 'to do' part of the city and lies right in the middle of the best bus routes to other parts of the city you may want to visit.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:55 PM

thanks for the info, anyone else?

Old 07-27-2010, 04:09 PM

16 posts, read 28,742 times
The McDonald's near Nob Hill will be hard to find apartments in your price range. That McDonald's is right next to UNM campus. The housing prices within walking distance of that McDonald's are astronomical. Please visit that store before you move to that area. They have to buzz people into the bathroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque