Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,253 times

Advertisements

I'm due at the end of the month, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice about how to keep a newborn comfortable in this heat? We have a swamp cooler and it's been pretty useless the last few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 03:18 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,048,015 times
Give your child a bath every so often or you can go to an air conditioned place and hang out.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:26 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,962,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uknomad View Post
I'm due at the end of the month, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice about how to keep a newborn comfortable in this heat? We have a swamp cooler and it's been pretty useless the last few days.
Baths will help, cool cotton clothes, keep them in the shade, if outside keep them in the shade away from reflections like concrete patios and walls that are or were in the sun (If you feel the heat, it may be radiating), keep a fan circulating the air.

I would not use air conditioning unless you live in it, and do not get it too cold if you do.

I have kids and grand kids. Millions of New Mexicans have been born and raised in the heat...

I live in air conditioning, but I am old....

Good luck with the little one... We have a 3 month old in the family...

ADDED: Hydrate, Hydrate! Make sure they get plenty of liquids...

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-20-2010 at 03:57 PM..

Old 07-20-2010, 03:33 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,596,114 times
Your baby should be fine as long as she is kept out of direct sunlight, has plenty of fresh air, and remains well hydrated. If you do notice she is showing signs of becoming too warm, a cool -- NOT cold, damp sponge to her hands, feet, and neck will usually help her feel comfortable. As always, make sure her clothing is clean and dry. She will probably adapt to the heat very easily.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:38 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,760,851 times
Y'know, she's coming from a pretty warm environment..

Follow the others' advice posted above.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:14 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,118,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uknomad
... swamp cooler ... pretty useless ...
If you check the output air of the cooler it is likely to be quite cool. The
air has been very dry and the only problem is that your house is sitting
out there in the sun - absorbing energy and radiating it into the interior.

Moving the sprog close to the output point of the cooler will
keep it as cool as you want it. You could even put up a sheet
( as a tent ) to hold in the cooler air.

Another thing would be to dampen the flow in other rooms where
the sprog is not and remove the grate from the room where baby
lives. This assumes that you have a central, ducted system.

Otherwise, move the crib next to/close to the window-mounted unit.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,253 times
Thanks for all the advice. We moved here from KY, so we're still adjusting ourselves.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:46 PM

64 posts, read 205,548 times
We had one of our children in central Missouri in May with no air conditioning, just fans. It was horrible. At least here the shade and a breeze provide some relief. Swamp coolers are better than nothing. Your baby will be fine. The worst of summer is almost over.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:24 PM

426 posts, read 1,090,305 times
You could always buy an air conditioner that goes in the window and use that in the baby's room. I've used plenty in the past and they do their job well, but make sure you get a good one.

Also, use your cars AC. I know a lot of people here like to drive with their windows down and get nice and toasted in the sun, and enjoy the hot dry "breeze". Please don't do that with your newborn in the car!

Good luck.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:29 PM

923 posts, read 2,426,312 times
Your baby should be fine. Just don't bundle him/her up in heavy blankets. One receiving blanket is plenty in the summer. Onesies work great. About the fluids -- only give your newborn breast milk or formula. Don't let him/her drink just water as the baby will fill up on the water and will miss the important nutrients in your milk or formula for brain development. Don't bathe too often as it will dry out your baby's skin. A newborn only needs to be bathed once every 3 days or so. A cool sponge is all you'll need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque