Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 01:02 PM

7 posts, read 11,592 times

Advertisements

hi, I am looking to move to Albuquerque in September sometime. I will be working at the VA hospital. I have two dogs and am trying to find safe areas to live. I have never been there but hope to make a short trip to check out apts in august. any suggestions on either apt complexes or just areas to live or rent a home would help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 09:06 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,685,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cidnee View Post
hi, I am looking to move to Albuquerque in September sometime. I will be working at the VA hospital. I have two dogs and am trying to find safe areas to live. I have never been there but hope to make a short trip to check out apts in august. any suggestions on either apt complexes or just areas to live or rent a home would help
The area around the VA is not great, in my opinion. It will also depend on how much you plan to spend on rent... Albuquerque is kind of tough in terms of delineating safe areas because crime seems to happen everywhere. Generally the far South area of the city tends to have more crime. If at all possible, rent a place where you can park your car in a garage. A lot of the crime around here is petty and involves things such as property damage and breaking into cars - or even just breaking car windows for no particular reason. Sorry if it sounds too negative - Albuquerque really is a wonderful city in many respects, but there is indeed a lot of crime.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:18 AM

508 posts, read 1,086,670 times
Some of the nicest neighborhoods in ABQ are close to the VA. Some of the poorest neighborhoods in ABQ are close to the VA. Depending on what you're looking for, you might consider the Nob Hill area/general university area, or areas around uptown. Nob Hill is a little more urban/young, with bars, cafes, etc, while uptown puts you near alot of shopping. Both have plenty of apartment complexes and both would be a short drive to the VA. There's also Ridgecrest, which sits right next to the VA and is one of the nicest (and most expensive) areas of the city - it is mostly single family residential.

If you've lived in a city, you've likely dealt with crime similar to what exists in ABQ. In short, I wouldn't worry about it too much - just ask around when you get here as to what the individual neighborhoods are like. Don't get caught up in generalizations as to whether the SW/SE is unsafe while the NE/NW is safe - these generalizations don't work in ABQ, it's all about the individual neighborhoods.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:04 AM

I am trying to find a realtor to help me look for rental property. I have found some apt complexes one called ventura canyon on golf course road, the other broadstone high desert, cortederian street NE. I have flexibility as far as what I spend dor housing. I know one is a longer drive than the other, another is broadstone heights.
they will take a big dog and my medium sized dog. The larger dog is always an issue when I relocate. Anyone know any of those properties or the areas they are located in

Old 07-24-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidnee View Post
I am trying to find a realtor to help me look for rental property. I have found some apt complexes one called ventura canyon on golf course road, the other broadstone high desert, cortederian street NE. I have flexibility as far as what I spend dor housing. I know one is a longer drive than the other, another is broadstone heights.
they will take a big dog and my medium sized dog. The larger dog is always an issue when I relocate. Anyone know any of those properties or the areas they are located in
I live in high desert and am familiar with broadstone high desert. A friend of mine has lived in those apartments for 6-7 years now and is very happy there. Nice views, nice community. The other Broadstone property seems nice too. Not familiar with Ventura Canyon but there are a lot of nice neighborhoods along Golf Course, so it's probably nice. Good luck!

Old 07-24-2010, 11:00 AM

Oh one more thing to add... Traffic flow is different on the West side (Golf Course property) versus the East side (the Broadstone properties) of Albquerque. I have lived in both areas and found the West side traffic to be far more frustrating. Living off Tramway (High Desert) is very nice because Tramway is a major artery that rarely gets backed up. The Broadstone property off of Paseo del Norte is near a lot of great shopping. Just my opinions.... Take care

Old 07-24-2010, 11:20 AM

508 posts, read 1,086,670 times
I hope you realize you are choosing a commute, when you certainly don't have to....but yes, going off of the locations you are looking at the east side (high desert) would make more sense of the two. Working for the VA while living across the river? Why would you choose to give yourself that headache? Since it doesn't often seem to be relayed on this forum enough - traffic crossing the river west-to-east is only going to get worse, as no new bridges are being built over the river, jobs continue to go in on the east, and housing continues to go in on the west. Therefore, if you want to avoid alot of hassle, look to the east.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:21 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,611,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post
Oh one more thing to add... Traffic flow is different on the West side (Golf Course property) versus the East side (the Broadstone properties) of Albquerque. I have lived in both areas and found the West side traffic to be far more frustrating. Living off Tramway (High Desert) is very nice because Tramway is a major artery that rarely gets backed up. The Broadstone property off of Paseo del Norte is near a lot of great shopping. Just my opinions.... Take care

I totally agree! There are more alternate routes to take to get to the VA on the east side of town. On the west side, you'll be limited to only a few major roads (only so many have bridges across the river).

If you'll be working hours that will allow you to take a bus, then Ventura (Ventana?) Canyon property would be a good bet - the #157 runs in front of it, plus you're close to the NW transit center, with some commuter routes (am/pm only). That would relieve you of the traffic hassles.

The properties you're considering on the east side are close to a very nice dog park (with lights at night) and the various biking/walking trails, all good for exercising the pooches. The Ventura (sure it isn't Ventana?) property isn't going to be as convenient for dog walking, short of walking in neighborhoods and front yards

Old 07-24-2010, 12:40 PM

thanks for the tips. I did not even know there was a river to cross. Is there any other tips like this I should know about? I want to keep my commute to wihin 30 min or less if possible. A lot of places won't take a large dog so in some respects I am limited especially looking from CT hopefully I will fly down in august for a few days to see the area before I drive over.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:59 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,611,388 times
You might try locating the VA on a mapping software like Yahoo Maps or Google Maps, and then checking out addresses of apartments to get an idea of distance.

FWIW, I live in the NE, Menaul & Tramway, and I can leave my place at 7:40 and be at Gibson & San Mateo (VA hospital is a block away from there) in about 20 minutes, less if I catch the lights green. And that's on surface streets, not the interstate (interstate will be slower, IMO).

Keep in mind, a lot of rental properties in ABQ are privately owned - houses, duplex, triplex, small apartment complexes - and those landlords are often willing to work with pet owners. Rates are usually comparable (sometimes better) than big apartment complexes. The downside is many of these owners do not advertise on craigslist. They either run an ad in the ABQ Journal or just put a For Rent sign out front (a LOT rely on just the sign).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque