Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2017, 12:01 PM

54 posts, read 128,859 times

Advertisements

Mossman is mentioned as a developer to look for when discussions come up about well-built homes, in generally good neighborhoods. Because of this, I’ve been looking at homes for sale online in those neighborhoods. For good or ill, it looks like a good percentage of Mossman-Gladden homes get snapped up by flippers, who spend a couple of months on cosmetic upgrades, then put the houses back on the market at sometimes inflated prices.

I don’t have anything against somebody making a living at rehabbing these homes. That said, I’d be interested in buying a house that hasn’t been updated and do the work to my own spec to live in it long term. Not a total gut job, just a well-loved home with good bones that could use some updating.

So… can anybody direct me to other builders/areas that might fit the Mossman profile?

My general requirements seem reasonable (to me at least):
  • Easy commute (less than 20 minute drive) to the Uptown area
  • 3 or 4 bedrooms
  • 2 baths
  • Less than 1800 square feet
  • Single story
  • Easy access to walking and biking trails
  • And yeah, as much as this is open for interpretation, relatively “safe” neighborhood

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 12:23 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,183,515 times
There are all kinds of Mossmans. Ones with hardwood floors, ones on slabs.. two story, one story.. brick, stucco, brick and stucco..

There are probably some Mossmans that were no good to begin with in terms of quality of construction, though they're rare.

By the time you get to 2 baths, you're bumping up against the 1800 sqft number. There are definitely Mossmans smaller than mine, but a lot of them have 1 3/4 or fewer baths. Best up your square footage number to 2000 sf.

There are little enclaves here and there. I believe a fair number of homes were built on the east side of Mossmanland by "Wood Brothers" or a number of other smaller builders.

Don't worry about flippers. For them, it's a business decision. If you want a "stock" Mossman bad enough, they can be had. Further, I've (mostly) enjoyed the upgrades my Mossman has had done on it. If the house had a brand new renovated kitchen and bathrooms, maybe that'd be worth a little more. Sometimes even flippers get desperate.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:10 PM

534 posts, read 489,269 times
When I was looking to buy in ABQ a couple of years ago, I also insisted on a home that was pre-flip. I definitely got that...in abundance. Unupdated to the point of irony...like the way a genie grants you wishes but the result is always a little skewed.

For me, the best thing to do is make the acquaintance of a realtor and tell them what you are looking for. Realtors have amazing networks, and if you're their client, the instant a home comes on the market that they think you will like, they'll send you the info. In anther state, I bought a house in a much desired neighborhood within 4 hours of it being listed on the MLS, because I was having lunch with a friend who is a realtor, and casually mentioned what I wished I could find. If you have a realtor, you have their network.

Wanting non-updated can even be an advantage...IME sometimes an original owner would much prefer the home go to someone who wants to live in the home, and not just flip it.

Best of luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: