Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 07:59 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,962,444 times

Advertisements

Been to Hot Tamales in Rio Rancho probably 100+ times:
Gil's Thrilling Web Site

Been to the Monroes at 6051 Osuna Road NE about five times:
http://nmgastronome.com/blog/?p=342

Only been to Mary & Tito’s twice, plan on going back:
Gil's Thrilling (And Filling) Blog » Mary & Tito’s Cafe – Albuquerque, New Mexico

They all have good rellenos, and other good food and service.

I agree with many of the recommendations already given (there are a few listed which I have not been to.)

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 11:23 PM

281 posts, read 630,812 times
Ahh, Rich, I am so glad you're here. I drove past Hot Tamale's for the 1000th time today, still wondering why I've never been there. What's their defining dish?

(OP - I'm going to get kicked for it one of these days because this is an ABQ board and I keep pushing something 90 minutes out of town... but make the drive to Rancho De Chimayo... stellar ambiance, awesome food... and nice to get away from "the Burque" occasionally.)

-Z

Old 07-29-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandyman View Post
Ahh, Rich, I am so glad you're here. I drove past Hot Tamale's for the 1000th time today, still wondering why I've never been there. What's their defining dish?
I generally like their enchilada plate. I have been trying almost everything on their menu except posole. Their food and service has bee consistently good. Their Chile Rellenos are good, not greasy and with a nice appearance, but I prefer the ones my Mom made. I know people who prefer other cuisines or restaurants.

In Rio Rancho you might also consider "Dahlia’s Central Mexican Cuisine"
Gil's Thrilling (And Filling) Blog » Dahlia’s Central Mexican Cuisine – Rio Rancho, New Mexico I promised Dahlia I would come back more often. No, Gil and I are not in cahoots... We happen to have similiar tastes in some foods.

Rich

Old 09-18-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I generally like their enchilada plate. I have been trying almost everything on their menu except posole. Their food and service has bee consistently good. Their Chile Rellenos are good, not greasy and with a nice appearance, but I prefer the ones my Mom made. I know people who prefer other cuisines or restaurants.

Rich
Once again I'm discovering we have similar taste in food. Tried Hot Tamale's last week and was quite impressed. Good to know the things I love about this town are closer to my house than I thought.

Thank you.

-Z

Old 09-18-2010, 07:38 PM

326 posts, read 841,943 times
You people have me so hungry! I love cooking things where I have to stuff ingredients into other indredients. It's like eating a present! Chile Rellenos, Stuffed bell peppers, Stuffed tomatos, stuffed mushrooms, stuffed chicken breast, egg rolls, rangoons!!!

I am excited to try out some more New Mexican food. I will have to try out a couple of these places named.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:52 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,102,309 times
Just about everyone in ABQ has a good relleno ahaha. At least when compared to rellenos in other parts of our fair land.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:00 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,642,976 times
If any of you watch Rick Bayless on PBS, he made some chile rellenos today basically the way we do here in New Mexico (with green chile and a cheese stuffing) except he wrapped them in corn husks to keep the stuffing in rather than dipping them in batter. They looked real good. I'm too used to chile rellenos the way my mom makes them (with batter) but I may try them the way he made them today the next time we make tamales.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:15 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,488,069 times
That is a good idea to cut down on the fat!

Old 09-21-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
That is a good idea to cut down on the fat!
Why would you do that?

I'm considering making my own because I think they need bacon stuffed in them with the cheese...

-Z

Old 09-21-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandyman View Post
Once again I'm discovering we have similar taste in food. Tried Hot Tamale's last week and was quite impressed. Good to know the things I love about this town are closer to my house than I thought.

Thank you.

-Z
For a slightly different atmosphere you might try O'hares on the Southwest corner of Southern and 528. It was establshed well over 10 years ago and is owned by the same people who own Hot Tamales. I have not been to O'hares in several years, but we use to frequent it a lot when we first moved out.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque