Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 12:55 PM

35 posts, read 72,670 times

Advertisements

I'm living in Los Angeles and have been thinking about moving to Albuquerque. I like a lot of things about New Mexico and the ABQ area, but the crime stats in ABQ are frightening. I've compared stats between Los Angeles, Portland, and Albuquerque. Per 100,000 people, the Albuquerque stats are "off the chart." Having a Public Safety background and knowing that metros usually under-report crimes for political reasons, these numbers are disturbing.

I've heard many long-term residents say about crime in ABQ "It's nothing like you have in Los Angeles," but except for the middle of "the hood," Los Angeles has much less crime than ABQ. So, having heard a strong defense of the city by long-term residents, are there any views on crime by new transplants?

Old 08-03-2010, 01:28 PM

581 posts, read 1,173,836 times
Ive been here about 5 months. I live downtown. Ive yet to witness or be a victim of any crime(knock on wood) other than some ridiculous driving. I think as long as you arent a drug dealer, or in a gang and have some common sense you will be fine.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:47 PM

5,056 posts, read 7,442,606 times
Default https://www.city-data.com/forum/albuquerque/1048776-new-transplants-thoughts-abq-crime.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstarstories View Post
I'm living in Los Angeles and have been thinking about moving to Albuquerque. I like a lot of things about New Mexico and the ABQ area, but the crime stats in ABQ are frightening. I've compared stats between Los Angeles, Portland, and Albuquerque. Per 100,000 people, the Albuquerque stats are "off the chart." Having a Public Safety background and knowing that metros usually under-report crimes for political reasons, these numbers are disturbing.

I've heard many long-term residents say about crime in ABQ "It's nothing like you have in Los Angeles," but except for the middle of "the hood," Los Angeles has much less crime than ABQ. So, having heard a strong defense of the city by long-term residents, are there any views on crime by new transplants?
Which stats are you using for your comparison? And if you remove "the hood" of LA from your comparison, then you should also remove the high crime areas of ABQ when comparing the two cities.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:54 PM

I've looked at stats from the individual police departments, city data, IDcide, among a few others.

I'm looking at the crime stats per 100,000. It's an average. You cannot remove "the hood" from these stats.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:32 PM

4,880 posts, read 4,825,741 times
I wouldn't say ABQ is off the chart, although they tend to be high. LA still has the lead in murders and we're big on property crimes here.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 04:34 AM..

Old 08-03-2010, 04:39 PM

Before we get too far away from my intention, please remember that I'm not asking for stats. I have stats. I'm looking for the viewpoints on crime from new transplants to ABQ. Thanks.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:04 PM

4,880 posts, read 4,825,741 times
You stated that ABQ crime stats were frightening. I provided crime stats that, while not great, don't appear frightening. Therefore, I disagree with your original assessment that crime here is "off the chart." It seems fair to point that out because, after all, if I don't agree with your assessment of the facts, it's not likely I'll agree with your conclusion.

That said, my meager assessment after 11 years here is that I think violent crimes here are highly correlative to your life style. If you're a gang banger or a wannabe, into the drug arena (particularly meth), etc., live in an area where those folks live, the chance of being a victim of violent crime is substantially higher than anyone else. Property crimes are a problem, but the current administration has made a concerted effort to get the habitual offenders and seems to be succeeding. Initially, those crimes are dropping, so we'll see what the long term results are. As our subdivision was developing, there were numerous breakins of homes under construction. Just by coincidence, those thefts always occurred the night after major appliances were delivered. The sheriff eventually caught the crew and those crimes ended. There are definitiely areas where property crimes are more prevelant than others. Avoid those areas and take normal precautions, and your chance at being a victim will be lowered.

Oh, don't watch the local news here. They report little else except for "news" on local crime.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:25 PM

jiminnm, ABQ's rapes are twice as much as Los Angeles per 100,000, assaults are approx. 33% higher in ABQ, burglary, theft, and auto theft are measurably higher than LA. My belief is that you may be male and not worried about that kind of thing.

As a public safety officer in Los Angeles, I am keenly aware of stats (and watched more than a few segments today from KOB and KOAT of ABQ public safety officials double-talking about the crime situation in ABQ. having done the job, I know the key words for police double-talk. they are trying to make strides, but will they work? dunno), but again my interest is in the views on crime of new transplants to ABQ. I find that long-term residents spend too much time defending the city instead of realistically assessing the situation.

I do appreciate your sharing.

Last edited by dstarstories; 08-03-2010 at 05:34 PM..

Old 08-03-2010, 05:33 PM

277 posts, read 682,887 times
I'm pretty new to Albuquerque. I had the same concerns about crime because it was mostly what I heard about when discussing the city (on this forum, too) prior to my move.

I've lived in 3 major metro areas in the US. At every place, and under a variety of living situations which were originally deemed to be safe and of good standards, I had some sort of "crime" experience, although nothing ever directly happened to me - but it was enough that I'm always in a state of slight skittishness about the prospect of any crime at all, even though I know expecting no crime is unrealistic. In one location I lived next to a psycho. At another a woman was robbed at knifepoint a few streets down from where I lived. At another my hubcaps were stolen (not a big deal to me, though - but does that count as "crime"?) At another apparently there were drug dealings going on unbeknownst to me (I think mostly pot, but possibly meth or maybe harder stuff) - I found out about it afterward. At another the apartment was gorgeous and close to work, but apparently not in a "good" neighborhood (again found this out after the fact) with rapes, shootings/stabbings, drugs, etc. occurring a few streets over.

Again, even though nothing has ever directly happened to me, I think about it all the time. I hate that I feel this way, but it's just who I am - I hope I don't need medication! I love where I live now, but I hate wondering if someday I'll come home and find the place broken into - or worse, if it will happen when I'm trying to sleep at night. Again, I don't think I need medication for this? I do also worry a little bit about safety in the workplace. I am just not one of those people who can blow off even petty crimes.

To address your post - I read the stats too, and I know Albuquerque tends to run a little higher than one would like, but for the short period of time I've been here, I have felt safe, and that says a lot coming from me! I was as careful as I could be about choosing where I felt was the best place to live and go about my daily business. The stats didn't prevent me from coming here. I don't go looking for trouble and try to be a little street smart. I know there was a recent post about the very high number of sex offenders here compared to other areas - not sure what that is about. I haven't been here long enough to know whether big crimes happen more consistently than in other places or whether it's more occasional. I am one of those people who will seriously reassess where I am living if I ever do have a personal experience or hear/witness something troubling. While I really like it here so far (more than I thought I would), I won't put on rose colored glasses or downplay situations. I am lucky in that my job is fairly mobile and I could leave if I wanted to. But I don't.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:48 PM

96 posts, read 296,538 times
i essentially grew up in albuquerque and never thought much about the crime. then, as an adult, moved away and, after i left, i realized how bad the crime was. we moved to a place where the crime was so rare. only after leaving abq. did i realize how inerred to crime i had become.

property crime is off the charts no matter where you live -- some places it's off the charts a little and some places it's off the charts into the stratosphere. it was interesting talking with my best friend after she moved into a "good" NE heights neighborhood. the conversation started with how relieved she was to be living in such a good neighborhood where they didn't have to worry about crime. w/in the same conversation she told me that there was a rash of car breakins going on in her neighborhood. because it wasn't a violent crime or something where yoru personal space was being broken into, it isn't "crime". in this city, "crime" is invisible because grafitti isn't "crime", it's "to be expected". "petty" theft of anything not nailed down in your yard is "to be expected". car breakins are "life's a bit**, better call the insurance company". the only property crime that seems to make anyone pause is an actual home burglary --which happen all the time in all parts of the city. i would say that the personal violence crimes are segregated, primarily, to the "bad" parts of abq. however, over the years it seems that many parts of abq. that used to be decent aren't now. and in so many parts of abq., there's so much "intimidation" that goes on from punks in cars at the stoplight or walking through a parking lot. it's ridiculous.
i almost wish we were still unaware of how bad the crime is (: i feel safe in the far northeast heights and, although you still have to lock the doors, you don't have to if you walk to the end of the driveway to pick up your mail (: (which, by the way, don't leave in your mailbox. the rule used to be don't leave it in at night because identity theives and the like will steal it. recently, a friend was sitting at 10a at her kitchen table with her mail sticking out of the front door mail slot wating for the mail man. people drove into her driveway, jumped out, grabbed the mail and drove off at 10am with her sitting at the kitchen window. she lives by the lawschool--a very expensive and "safe" neighborhood.) however, a lot of people don't like the far northeast heights because it's all new and doesn't have the old houses with the mature shade trees etc. and "character", if you will. however, people still have to do things in other parts of town...
albuquerque does have a lot of good things. but, for us, the crime takes the cake and we're getting out of here asap.
(:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque