Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 09:31 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,413,637 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a possible move to Rio Rancho (currently searching job).
What do people think of the area ? Is there much affordable housing ? I don't mind a 20 or 30 minute drive to work if I have to to get affordable housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 11:11 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,346,945 times
I don't know alot about the area either but am checking into it also.
Send Berncohomes a direct message. He's helping me as far as homes go too.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:12 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,451,383 times
It's a nice suburb.

What's affordable in dollars?

Where is work?

Old 10-17-2009, 06:40 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,413,637 times
Looking for HP and a few other places. I am open to anywhere. Not even sure what the salary is like at HP. Have an interview Monday morn.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:42 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,471,204 times
OP: You might want to search in the ABQ forum. There are quite a few threads on Rio Rancho.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:47 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Moving this thread to the Albuquerque forum which also includes the surrounding area.

Rich

Old 10-19-2009, 08:21 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,221,152 times
Where are you living now?

Old 10-19-2009, 08:28 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,030,026 times
This is only my personal opinion and I usually get slammed good for it ... so I repeat ... JUST MY OWN OPINION....

I do not like Rio Rancho and would never live there. It looks like any generic suburb in any of a dozen cities in the U.S. It has no New Mexico history or ... (IN MY OPINION) ... charm. The only thing it has (IN MY OPINION) is a view of the mountains.....which you can get in ABQ, Placitias, Bernallillo, etc.

Could you expand your search to Albuquerque or the East Mountains?

Old 10-19-2009, 11:25 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,743,518 times
So how did the interview go? Did you win them over with your Irish charm?

Old 10-19-2009, 11:55 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,717,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
This is only my personal opinion and I usually get slammed good for it ... so I repeat ... JUST MY OWN OPINION....
OH WHAT IN THE HELL TOWANDA!!! HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY POST THIS??!! I AM ENRAGED!!!! .........

(OK, I am obviously just kidding! )!!!

Actually, Towanda is one of the all-around great NM and ABQ posters, so her advice and thoughts are quite reasonable.

I think that what this all boils down to (and the "Rio Rancho" topics always gets much debate - either "pro"-RR or "con"-RR) is this:

What are you personally looking for, and what is important to you, when choosing a place to live.

To me, I would easily live in Rio Rancho enthusiastically and gladly, and in fact, I would say that if my family and I move back in the next year or so, there is a strong chance we'd move to Rio Rancho.

Why? Well, let me say that actually, I do largely agree with Towanda on her basic summations:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
It has no New Mexico history or ... (IN MY OPINION) ... charm. The only thing it has (IN MY OPINION) is a view of the mountains.....which you can get in ABQ, Placitias, Bernallillo, etc.
Rio Rancho indeed is a more classic "newer suburb" that springs up around most any big city. Thus, of course, being new, it just has the more "cookie cutter" or "generic" moniker that are branded to many / most large suburbs of towns. I don't necessarily want to compare it to Scottsdale around Phoenix because RR isn't hoity-toity / swanky like Scottsdale, but you get my point - it isn't "historic" by any means.

Now, remember, where some see "cookie cutter" or "generic", others see "clean, new, and nice"...again, it is just a matter of what you like. Some people would never want to buy a new construction house, as they would see it devoid of character / charm / flavor. Others wouldn't want to buy the historic, lovely old home, as they don't want the hassles of fixing older things, having poorer insulation, etc. Again...what works for one doesn't work for the other.

To me, I have always - ALWAYS - stated that I prefer ideally the Northeast Heights (by far), the North Valley, and some of the UNM areas over Rio Rancho or Northwest Albuquerque. Why? Because I like the more established, older homes and neighborhoods, the better infrastructures (developed for decades), the more plentiful restaurants, stores, parks, etc.

HOWEVER...having said that...

1. My quite reasonable wife always has had more of a soft spot for Rio Rancho / NW ABQ...not because she doesn't love NE ABQ, the North Valley, etc. - she does - but because she likes the newer roads, the newer houses and neighborhoods, the "crisp and clean" look, etc. Again, it is a matter of perspective.

But moreover...

2. I would GLADLY live in Rio Rancho, because:

a. I have never minded a bit of driving, and if Rio Rancho - offering newer, nice homes at a good budget / price, offers safe neighborhoods good for families, offers good school opportunities, etc. - works best for my *residential* family living situation all things considered, I am always still 10 or 20 minutes away from most anything I need throughout Albuquerque.

I can still utilize Albuquerque restaurants, stores, parks, places of interest, etc., quite simply from Rio Rancho.

And...

b. Rio Rancho still shares many obvious things with Albuquerque, including: mild year round temps, plentiful sunshine, dry air, a relative lack of rainfall/snowfall, amazing sunrises/sunsets, great vistas, a proximity to the Sandias, etc.

So to me, because my priority is a nice AND AFFORDABLE house - ideally newer with a lack of fixing up, a safe family-oriented neighborhood, etc., and I don't mind a little driving here and there, I have absolutely no problem whatsoever living in Rio Rancho.

However, to others that might have quite different priorities, Rio Rancho wouldn't be nearly as high on the list.

It is all just what is / is not important to you on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque