Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 11:41 AM

581 posts, read 1,176,371 times

Advertisements

I would say ABQ is definitely "arty".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 09:10 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,642,976 times
I live in Barelas which has been cultivating an arts scene for a little longer than the almost ten years that I've lived here. Up and down south 4th St. there are are a few small art galleries and performance spaces. The vibrancy of our arts scene has gone up and down as I've lived here, but right now I'd say it's fairly healthy even if it's not as good as I've seen it in times past.

I think Albuquerque certainly is arty. But as others have pointed out it is a big city which has many other things going for it which contribute to its vibrancy and which overshadow its arts scene.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:59 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,205,566 times
Since the OP is trying to compare to Santa Fe, I'd have to say that Albq is NOT arty by SF standards. SF long ago decided to set architectural standards to heed to the "Pueblo" style - making it unique in that regard (architecture IS an art genre). And now SF has been called the second largest art market after NYC in some circles - no mean achievement, considering the breadth of today's market. SF's art scene had to shift away from its primarily Southwestern/Western style of art in order to achieve that new status.

That having been said, Albq does have its own "art scene" as already defended by others in this thread.

Opinion of another artist!

Old 07-11-2011, 01:18 PM

508 posts, read 1,090,166 times
I'd say much of NM has an "arty" culture - with maybe the exception of the far south and eastern parts of the state. Santa Fe has a very large number of galleries, but from what I understand few artists reside in Santa Fe due to how expensive it has become.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:27 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,478,624 times
There are few cities Albuquerque's size that are 'overflowing with art'. A city this size demands a diverse economy.

That said, compared to its population class, it is pretty arty. There is a lot of public art, 2-d and 3-d, and a pretty good number of local artists making a living (or at least making art ;-)

Old 07-11-2011, 01:41 PM

963 posts, read 2,308,115 times
It's true that ABQ is not "artsy" in the true sense of the word (def: a pretentious display of being artistic). However, ABQ does have a distinct, and very visual cultural signature. Most American cities look more alike than different. You cannot mistake ABQ for any other city because of the rich culture that endures here. Adobe style housing, xeriscaping, ristras, the smell of chiles roasting in the fall, pinon wood burning in the winter, Route 66 kitsch along Central Ave., old classic Ford and Chevy pickup trucks that never seem to die . . . no other big city I've visited in the US is as distinct and authentic in culture. ABQ may not have many artists. But what art it does have is authentic, and is deeply woven into the pattern of life here.

I had to move back to NYC after a few good years spent in ABQ. I still love NYC, its my roots. However, it is not pleasant to watch Manhattan being taken over by a soulless "hipster" culture that considers $10 "artisanal baked" cupcakes (that's 1 cupcake for $10.00) and $3000 per month rent for a 500 sq foot studio apartment to be the good life. You still have a genuine culture in ABQ, enjoy it!

http://stylepeterson.com/nob_hill/albuquerque_nob_hill_11.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Design7; 07-11-2011 at 01:55 PM..

Old 07-11-2011, 01:47 PM

350 posts, read 771,136 times
ABQ recently listed as the 6th best city for art with a population over 500K in AmericanStyle:

Albuquerque a Top Art Destination

Old 07-11-2011, 02:06 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,962,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes View Post
ABQ recently listed as the 6th best city for art with a population over 500K in AmericanStyle:

Albuquerque a Top Art Destination
Here is the main article, May 2011, which covers 25 "Big Cities" AmericanStyle Magazine | Top 25 Arts Destinations: Big Cities

Here is the top 14 from the list:
1. New York City, NY
2. Chicago, IL
3. Washington, D.C.
4. San Francisco, CA
5. Boston, Mass.
6. Albuquerque, N.M.
7. Atlanta, Ga.
8. Philadelphia, Pa.
9. Baltimore, Md.
10. Seattle, Wash.
11. Portland, Ore.
12. Los Angeles, Calif.
13. Austin, Texas
14. Denver, Colo.

Rich

Old 07-11-2011, 05:30 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,205,566 times
Not to beat a dead dog - but on the same note - comparing Santa Fe to Albq:

Quote:
SANTA FE -- Santa Fe was named the second best place in the United States for artists and creatives by Sperling's Best Places and www.businessweek.com. The list of the top 10 best places was compiled by identifying metro areas that have the highest concentrations of artistic business establishments. In conducting the nationwide analysis, this online data source and news publication also considered the percentage of people between the ages of 25 and 34, population diversity and the concentration of museums, orchestras, dance companies, theater troupes, library resources and college arts programs.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:40 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,478,624 times
It is nice to see Albuquerque cozying up with such premier cities on that list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque