Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:55 PM

17 posts, read 35,332 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the Cobble Hill region of Brooklyn and work in NYC. I really love the size of Brooklyn and the ease of getting to a big metropolitan like NYC. However, I am finding the fast paced crass city a little too intense. Plus, the weather, though better than upstate New York, where I'm from, is nothing to write home about. We still get snow, clouds, and extra humidity.

I am interested in a similar area like Brooklyn (in terms of size, food, proximity to a major city), with a little more relaxed environment. I could use a yard though! Also, I went better weather. I am not opposed to all four seasons, but I want the winters milder and less humidity. Plus, I need sun. The east coast is only sunny 30% of the time, so I am thinking out west.

I would appreciate any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 01:01 PM

366 posts, read 1,248,562 times
The only city in the West that feels even remotely like NYC or Brooklyn is San Francisco. Or maybe Seattle to a lesser extent. Albuquerque is nothing like what you're looking for.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:23 PM

What is it like then?

Old 08-18-2010, 02:19 PM

366 posts, read 870,044 times
Hmmmm your main problem with Albuquerque (and most of rest of the west) is that, you say you like Brooklyn and its proximity to NYC (isn't Brooklyn part of NYC?) - there just isn't that kind of population or density out here. Brooklyn has more people in it than the entire state of New Mexico. There are only a few cities in west - that aren't on the coast - that have a population near or more than Brooklyn, and they aren't close to major cities, they are the major population center for 100s and 100s of miles.

For example, the Albuquerque Metro area contains four counties, each probably somewhere about 1,000 square miles in size (so 3x as big as all of NYC each) and it has less than a million people in it. It would also take 6 - 8 hours to get to an area that has more than a million people in it.

Albuquerque is laid back, we are spread out no density, heavy Spanish/Mexican influence on culture, food, architecture, identity. Dry, high elevation... Not sure what else to tell you. I don't want to say you wouldn't be interested in it, but I can't see how Albuquerque is at all comparable to the Brooklyn/NYC area in any way (humans live here?) or how you would enjoy Albuquerque if you are looking for an environment that is at all similar.

For what it sounds like you are looking for, I think your best bet is California, Dallas, or Houston.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:32 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,035,073 times
The only city similar to Brooklyn isn't San Francisco, it's Oakland, CA across the Bay!

Old 08-18-2010, 02:35 PM

ok so size may not be a problem. I am from upstate New York. I like Brooklyn because it is chill but still has the city vibe - good food, intelligent (ish) people, and culture. However, New York is not for me in that people aren't friendly, they're rude, and cold. I love SF, but I don't think I can swing living there financially. Plus, I have only been there for a few days at a time, and am not sure if the weather is sunny enough.

Last edited by Firefly680; 08-18-2010 at 03:42 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 02:39 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,822,109 times
Albuquerque is hotter and dryer than Brooklyn. Our altitude is about 5,000 feet above sea level. Brooklyn ground is close to sea level. This is a desert, a large state (5th largest land wise) with fewer people than Brooklyn. New Mexico is a poor state. The cost of living here is less than where you are at. But jobs tend to pay less also.

So, do you have a job lined up out here? Have you ever been to this area? You really should visit to see the area, you might like it or you might not...

Rich

Old 08-18-2010, 02:49 PM

what about culture? do you think Albuquerque is good for older 20s/younger 30s starting a family? or is it more a retirement place? how liberal to conservative would you rank it?

Old 08-18-2010, 03:38 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,966,675 times
Firefly, I came here from Brooklyn Hts (33yrs) and chose ABQ and knew it was NOT Brooklyn. For positive reasons I chose here as my new home, not as an escape from Brooklyn, because Brooklyn was in many respects a great place to live, especially Brooklyn Heights and Cobble Hill.
You can never compare any city in the U.S. to New York and its cultural riches, but if you look enough you will find much of what you may actually need and afford here in the ABQ/Santa FE orbit.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:10 PM

366 posts, read 1,248,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly680 View Post
what about culture? do you think Albuquerque is good for older 20s/younger 30s starting a family? or is it more a retirement place? how liberal to conservative would you rank it?
culture is sparse. i'd say it leans slightly liberal. public schools are pretty bad overall. so raising a family here might be a little sketchy.

nowhere in the city really has a city vibe. the closest is knob hill and that even feels a little sleepy. good food is hard to come by. the best restaurants are maybe a B.

if you can't afford san francisco, i'm guessing other coastal cities are out. phoenix or las vegas might have more of what you're looking for. but they're also not very similar to new york.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque