Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 980 times

Advertisements

Hello I would like to know if anyone can give me their input of good neighborhood or areas of albuquerque. My family is relocating in mid oct and have two elementary school children. We have visitited a few times and fell in love. Job commute is not an issue as I work from home in web developement. Would like to rent an apt for the first year so that we can explore the city before purchasing a home. Any information would be much appreciated. Any resources I can lookup would help also. Thanks and hope to hear from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 10:19 AM

366 posts, read 871,834 times
Disclaimer: Mass Generalizations Ahead

Most families live in the NE Height. In general the further North and East you go the better the neighborhoods are. They are also more expensive and bigger.

Since you don't have to worry about a commute you may want to try the west side. If newer housing and getting the most host for your money and top priorities.

I would say if you are renting and trying to explore the city the NE height is better, there will be more activities for you kids and I think living on the west side, especially working from home, you are in danger of being isolated and not leaving your small area.

Don't know what to tell you about good elementary schools you will find lots of opinions on different threads. I love the public school my son goes to, but don't know how I would find a different one if I wanted to move. Just using the pass/fail on the AYP doesn't work very well, if you look at the numbers many schools fail or pass based on whether or not they have more than 25 special education students or less than 25 (if you have more they are considered a sub group and have to pass as a subgroup).

Old 08-19-2010, 12:58 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,694,207 times
Everything that Ralthor said.

We live in the far NE heights and love the area partly because the traffic is very easy here compared to the west side. But if we worked from home and didn't have to commute, we probably would have stayed on the west side just because housing is less expensive, there is plenty to do, and it is actually very family oriented.

We lived in Taylor Ranch on the west side and the neighborhood was quiet and pleasant with very nice neighbors. Now we live in High Desert, which is probably considered one of the most affluent neighborhoods, and we are surrounded by noisy obnoxious people who let their teenage kids run amok (property damage, etc).

It's good that you plan to rent so that you can explore and get a feel for all the areas.

Schools are tough too. Overall APS is not great in my opinion. There are always private schools...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: