Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 04:26 PM

366 posts, read 869,452 times

Advertisements

Mr. Cog has a wealth of traffic resources for the metro area. If you are interested in traffic plans and such it is a fun site. I found the 2009 data here: Short Range Planning, Programming, and Implementation: Mid-Region Council of Governments

I've been having fun looking at the differences Was last year when they were working on the Coors /I-40 interchange? The traffic averages dropped by 1/3 for that area compared to 2008...

As far as Carlise goes they want to see Carlise and Girard turned into one way streets, I actually think it flows nicely and take carlise to monte vista to central quite often. It make me feel like I am taking a huge short cut by going down a diagonal street. I never go during any busy times of day though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 04:47 PM

366 posts, read 869,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamin-gitaur View Post
Nope, I'm not making things up. And as the other poster stated, 2008 stats don't compare to now. This area has been highly developed since 2008. You obviously aren't familiar with this area based on your comments.
You can't say, "There is as much traffic that travels this section of road on a daily basis as any other within the city" because its not true. I posted the 2009 stats you can look at those, they are almost the same. 2010 will be pretty close to the same as well. Why? Because the road can't support more people. The traffic flow will only change when the road there is widened and people find it is faster. At which point it will probably jump up to its new capacity and stay there.

Quote:
I never said it wasn't important to maintain roads. And, again, it's about finishing a project that was left hung out to dry.

That doesn't change the fact that there is still a section of unfinished road that needs to be finished. I've driven through construction zones with better road conditions.
and I never said they shouldn't do anything about it, in fact I said they should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
No, let's use his numbers. In 2008 about the same number of people used the stretch of Unser that leads into/out of Rio Rancho ( 26,100-28,000 ) as used the Montano bridge to cross over the Rio Grande ( 28,000-28,600 )

We know that many houses were constructed in that area in the last two years and some of those people now use Unser.

Based on the passionate appeals by ABQ commuters to finally get 4 lanes all the way across to (/from ) Coors, the stretch of Unser of which we now speak deserves the same passionate pleas for widening to 4 lanes.
Umm isn't that what I said?

Quote:
Comparing the traffic flow to what roads have been widened to four lanes in the last couple years, that section does get more traffic.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:48 PM

31 posts, read 124,727 times
Well, this thread has successfully been taken completely off topic and out of context. My original question and concern was/is, Are there any plans to ever complete this road as a 4 lane all the way through? I'm not concerned or interested in statistics, or whether or not anyone is in support of this. I know there are roads all over this city that are in dire need of work, that's a given, and there always will be a need for preventive maintenance etc.

Here is a different perspective on this.

McMahon and Unser, both four lane roads, intersect. McMahon was widened and extended within the last 3-4 years (enter stat. here). During that time, the intersection was rebuilt to accommodate the bigger road, and it all did turn out very well, as far as that is concerned. However, during the construction, there were makeshift shoulders built to divert the traffic around areas of construction on Unser, on both sides (north and south) of McMahon. Well to this day, those make shift shoulders are still in place and serving as a permanent road, years after the project "finished" and the crews moved on to do preventive maintenance elsewhere. It's as if the crews ran out of asphalt, and didn't tell anybody they needed more.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:09 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Quote:
Well, this thread has successfully been taken completely off topic and out of context.
No it hasn't. You started the thread and you gave it a title of "Road related rant."

What did you expect? You really want to answers? Call or E-Mail the people who know the answers as a few have already suggested.

None of the reasonable replies have suited you. You just seem to want to keep ranting about the issues. And now you want to call the thread off topic...

Old 08-23-2010, 06:42 PM

31 posts, read 124,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
No it hasn't. You started the thread and you gave it a title of "Road related rant."
That I did. About a specific situation.

Quote:
What did you expect?
Seems like there are plenty of knowledgeable people here, I was hoping for some insight to this situation.
Quote:
You really want to answers? Call or E-Mail the people who know the answers as a few have already suggested.
Noted
Quote:
None of the reasonable replies have suited you. You just seem to want to keep ranting about the issues. And now you want to call the thread off topic...
The reasonable replies have suited me fine, the discussion, I felt, was digressing from the original topic.

That's all fine.

Out.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:41 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,084,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamin-gitaur
I'm not concerned or interested in statistics, ...
They do get in the way of opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamin-gitaur
... or whether or not anyone is in support of this. ...
I didn't notice any post that was not in support of an expansion.
Most people have ideas that are higher on the list of priorities.

I think they should all be done and paid for.
Stuff takes time because most people want the
stuff done without having to pay for it.

Gas tax gas tax gas tax. ( say that real fast )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque