Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 04:06 AM

9 posts, read 40,218 times

Advertisements

Moving to the Albuquerque/Rio Rancho area in the next 6 weeks on a year long business trip and I haven't a clue what to expect! I've multiple questions and any answers or help would be great!!

The job is near Sandia village in Rio Rancho, so basically I'm thinking of the North Valley area to live. Seems to be half way between work and the city centre.

I am Irish so obviously enough I am prone to a good drinking session now and again!! Where are the best spots for this, best bars or best areas in general. I am presuming around the University/City centre would be the good hot spots, hence why I was thinking of the North Valley area to live. Where do the promiscuous ladies good for a go night out!!?

All help greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Irish28; 08-28-2010 at 04:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 02:54 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,478,624 times
The North Valley would be a good choice assuming you have a car. It is leafy (by U.S. southwest standards) and has a lot of traditional architecture and some areas that verge on rural while still being located very close to the center. By the sound of your post, I would avoid living in Rio Rancho despite its proximity to your workplace. If you had a family and were staying for years and buying a house, it may be a good bet, but by the sound of it you want to explore what the city has to offer for that the North Valley may well fit the bill. For the most part, the North Valley is authentic New Mexico in a city that is pretty post-modern and slap-dash, so you will get a satisfying culture-shock rather than the mundane, albeit comfortable experience of an apartment complex near Cottonwood Mall.

As far as bar-hopping, if you are in your 20s, and hipper-than-thou in your outlook, Downtown (city centre) is the neighborhood. This is not the University area, but it is the University scene as far as drinking and clubbing (as it were in Albuquerque) go. The scene here is driven by live bands, pool-halls and dives (some of which are contrived to appear so). These are not anyone's 'neighborhood pub'. This area has fun bars but you are a lot more likely to see some 'bad behavior'. That may be your thing, though ;-)

The Anodyne (My favorite downtown bar, pool tables, dark, interesting crowd, more mature behavior in general)
Maloneys's (not the trad Irish pub it sounds, more frat-boy meets gangsta wannabe)
Burt's Tiki Lounge (worth checking out if you like 1950's Hawaiian kitsch and lots of good looking young women)
Launchpad (live bands)

The other major concentration of bars and pubs is in the Nob Hill neighborhood. It is just east of the University yet draws a more diverse crowd in terms of age range, 20s - 40s+. The scene is more 'pub-ish' (for the most part) and more relaxed. Many of these places have friendly 'regulars' and they have a 'neighborhood feel' despite drawing people from around the city in the evenings and especially weekends. A lot of university influence but tempered by as many or more who have passed the 'get drunk and get in a fight' mode.

Kellys Brewpub (cavernous, but nice bar area with a lot of taps including their own brews)
Two Fools (pub in a box, but nice and they show football, English and Irish and rugby)
Nob Hill Bar&Grill (upscale with nice restaurant)
Imbibe (more of a club)
Zinc Winebar (fancy, has a nice cellar)
O'Niells (also has a good kitchen)
Cosmos (cocktail bar)
Monte Vista Fire-station (where all the waitresses from all the other bars and restaurants go after work ;-)

Downtown and Nob Hill are on the same road only a couple of miles apart. This strip forms the most dense concentration of restaurants, bars, shops, theaters, and other "things to do in urban Albuquerque". There are other good places throughout town but I will leave that up to others. Just beware of drunk driving as there are regular operations, especially in the valley, to pull over and drunk test drivers.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 08-28-2010 at 03:28 PM..

Old 08-29-2010, 04:25 AM

Excellent post

So Burts Tiki lounge and Monte Vista Fire-station are THE spots to try

I'll have a car all right and the job will be providing accommodation. Any other places worth considering to live? Don't know what I'll get offered yet off the job.

Any bars in the North valley area worth trying? Any that might have the same type of ladies ?

Is it a good place to live for a lad in his twenties?

Old 08-29-2010, 08:02 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,751,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish28 View Post
Where do the promiscuous ladies good for a go night out!!?

Straight to the point! Love it!

As you probably already know and probably very keen to test out, your accent works wonders with the women over here. The highest concentration of younger women you will find will be in the college area which is pretty much where the most of the bars you will be finding yourself in are located. With this in mind I would suggest you try and rent in the Nob Hill area so you can safely walk home on weekend mornings and not have to rely on public transport or drive under the weather.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:37 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,213,970 times
Another point worth making:

The most modern and get-what-you-pay-for housing and apartments tend to be clustered right near where you'll be working. It might be worth getting something close by your work, then heading to the aforementioned meat markets and night spots to find companionship if that's your thing.

BTW, I'd wager a good percentage of the single ladies who venture downtown live in the very area you'll be working. The bar at Applebee's may yield similar results but without the commute (and commensurate drunk drivers to contend with).

Old 08-31-2010, 03:18 AM

Cheers for all the info guys

I understand what you are saying about DUI's there. It would be taxi's all the way for me. Its same here in Ireland for me. I just don't drink and drive, its not worth the hassle and there are far too many checks here.

Whats the cost of a taxi from North Valley into the Nob hill area? I'd like to stay close enough to the job. Wouldn't be into spending 2 hours a day in traffic when I'm hungover!!

Old 08-31-2010, 02:49 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,478,624 times
At a guess, 10-15 dollars. There are no taxi stands so you would have to call a cab company and they come around to pick you up. Most people only call a cab if they are stumbledrunk. Most take their chances and drive. Not recommended, though.

You might consider looking to live in the corridor from from the University area to Nob Hill if you are going to prioritize your social life. The commute to work in Rio Rancho is not that bad and you would have peace of mind to go out drinking on foot or by bicycle.

Also the 'University-Nob Hill' area is lively, with a lot of shops, restaurants, bars, pedestrians in short-shorts ;-) etc. If I were in my 20s or 30s, single, and planning to live in Albuquerque for a year, it is where I would look for a living situation even with the commute.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:06 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,962,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish28 View Post
The job is near Sandia village in Rio Rancho, so basically I'm thinking of the North Valley area to live. Seems to be half way between work and the city centre.

I'm not aware of a "Sandia village" within Rio Rancho. I believe there is a "Sandia village" just South of Rio Rancho.

One issue you should be aware of in the commute is the Rio Grande. It can be a bottle neck depending on where you start and end and times...

Rio Rancho is on the West side of the Rio Grande and North Valley is on the East side...

Something to consider...

Rich

Old 09-01-2010, 01:37 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,118,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM
One issue you should be aware of in the commute
is the Rio Grande. It can be a bottle neck ...
For Irish28, it would be a reverse commute, so the
issue is much less of one than going the other way.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:50 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,927,826 times
You can always consider safe ride (242-Ride)--which is a free ride home from the bar, instead of paying for a taxi. Your best bet is living in Nob Hill, the adjacent University Area, or the Dowtown corridor. Best of luck mate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque