Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 05:39 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,203,997 times

Advertisements

What to do? What to see?
Where to go? Restuarants, hangouts, events, attractions, etc.

How cold will it be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 05:49 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,451,383 times
Start here

Albuquerque - Albuquerque New Mexico - Albuquerque NM

High 40's day/Mid 20's night, according to The Weather Channel

Average Weather for Albuquerque, NM - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 09-07-2010, 07:11 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,755,351 times
I love seeing the luminarias in Old Town or up in Santa Fe on Canyon Rd. Some stores give out biscochitos & hot cider. Plus, there is usually La Posada processional during the holidays. Perhaps you'd be interested in a candlelight service at one of the churches. We come down to town that time of year just to see the lulminarias or farolitos glowing at night. They are the magic of the holidays in New Mexico!

Old 09-07-2010, 08:52 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,478,379 times
Also:
- River of Lights at the Biopark - 2010 Annual River of Lights - Events - Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Church of Beethoven Sunday Chamber Music Concerts, good any time of year - Church of Beethoven | Albuquerque New Mexico
- not sure if this runs over the holidays, but if so First Friday Fractals at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History & Science is a fun and fairly unique show - First Friday Fractals : FractalFoundation.org
- another way to see the luminarias - http://www.cabq.gov/transit/special-...luminaria-tour

Old 09-08-2010, 10:37 AM

5,044 posts, read 7,421,895 times
For something different, various Pueblos have dances open to the public on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and some for a few days after. You can check out the schedule here:

Tribal Feast Days (http://www.newmexico.org/native_america/enjoy/feast_days.php#dec - broken link)

You can read an account of one of the celebrations here:

Christmas Eve at Acoma

Last edited by aries63; 09-08-2010 at 10:46 AM..

Old 09-09-2010, 09:43 PM

277 posts, read 682,519 times
Good question - I was also wondering what Christmas was like in this part of the country. I've always been around snow during the holiday.

I keep hearing/reading about these luminarias... I Googled pictures, and it looks lovely, but (and I hate to sound like a nay-sayer) - are they really a big deal? Do people get really excited about them? Do any of you miss the traditional coldness around Christmastime (realizing, of course, that many warm climates of the world celebrate Christmas, of course!)

I am interested in experiencing the holidays around here.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:57 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
For three centuries, the Spanish villages along the Rio Grande have been displaying their unique ‘Luminarias’: History of Luminarias

Old 09-10-2010, 09:27 AM

5,044 posts, read 7,421,895 times
Average temps in December are low 24, high 48. Not cold enough? Many times I've frozen my butt off walking along Ridgecrest at night on Christmas Eve to see the luminarias in a freezing wind. We have had snow days where school has been closed as early as late October. It is not uncommon to start seeing dustings of snow on Sandia in October. That makes it feel like winter to me! If you want snow for Christmas just drive into the mountains or go up the tram. There is a small chance (I think 5-10%) of a white Christmas in ABQ. It's not because it isn't cold enough, it's because of our scarce moisture. One year (I think 2000) it dumped about a half a foot the day after Christmas. But we are headed for a La Niña pattern again which means dryer than normal.

One year we went to Old Town to hear a school group caroling in the gazebo. As they started singing it started snowing lightly, as if on cue. It was magical... with the faint smell of wood burning from a fireplace somewhere nearby.

I have taken relatives on a luminaria bus tour, and they really liked it. It's just another way New Mexico is different from the rest of the US so that was fun for them to see.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:14 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,425,601 times
Our favorite Christmas season activity is attending the reenactment of Las Posadas at the Old Church in Corrales.

Even for an old guy like me, it gives meaning to the season.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:09 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,918,752 times
Nice link Pancho. Good snippet of history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque