Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:59 AM

92 posts, read 316,514 times

Advertisements

Considering that NM doesn't have any "major" professional sports (Diamonbacks, Broncos, etc.), what sports affiliations does NM have? Does it split between Colorado and Arizona teams? Or are there some Dodger fans due to the Isotopes?

I grew up in Montana, and one nice thing was that people tended to be more diverse in what teams they liked since Montana is about 1000 miles away from any major U.S. city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 08:25 AM

581 posts, read 1,175,514 times
I havent been here all that long, but here are my observations.

Baseball- seems pretty diverse. Ive noticed more Dodger fans than anything. The dodgers also seem to get covered on the local news more than other teams.

Football- The Broncos, and much to my dismay, the Cowboys seem to be the main affiliations.

Havent really noticed anything for basketball or hockey.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:23 PM

560 posts, read 1,718,445 times
I've got to agree with Ay Jayy... that's what I've noticed too.

We get Fox Sports Arizona on cable so we get all of the Diamondback games. (I wish we got all of the Dodger games.)

Football is mostly Broncos and Cowboys, but for some reason I see a fair amount of Steelers stuff too. As a Browns fan, naturally I find that annoying!

No one cares about Hockey here.

The only basketball team anyone seems interested in here in UNM's Lobos.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:00 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,749,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post
As a Browns fan, naturally I am alone!

I've noticed an increase in Dodger fans since the Isotopes moved their affiliation back to Albuquerque.

I do see a lot of Steeler fan's too, someone has even painted a big Steelers logo on the side of a building on 4th Street. Other than that I see a lot of #1 Cowboys fan and #1 Broncos fan license plates. They can't all be right can they?

Old 09-08-2010, 05:08 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,457,976 times
Lots of Raiders gear, but I was told much of that is gang related?

Old 09-08-2010, 05:18 PM

560 posts, read 1,718,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
Lots of Raiders gear, but I was told much of that is gang related?
I forgot about the Raiders... there is plenty of Raiders stuff around. Back in the day, Raiders gear was a gang symbol with some Los Angeles gangs, I have no idea if this is still the case or the case in Albuquerque.

A friend told me that a lot of American Indian people are Raiders fans?!?! I have no idea why or if that is even true... but there do seem to be plenty of Raiders fans in NM.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:48 PM

22 posts, read 47,325 times
Dallas Cowboys are the team of the region, I think Dallas Cowboy clothing is part of most people's wardrobe in ABQ. Denver and Pittsburgh also, just not as much as Dallas.MLB- more diverse, but the Dodgers probably have the most fansNBA and NHL-havent seen much intrest in ABQ

Old 09-08-2010, 07:57 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,380,411 times
NO Dallas Cowboy stuff in our household. Its not allowed. Its Patriots or nothing!

Old 09-08-2010, 08:31 PM

326 posts, read 841,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
NO Dallas Cowboy stuff in our household. Its not allowed. Its Patriots or nothing!
New England all the way!!!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2010, 05:48 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,223,883 times
The only alburquerqean I've met is a chicago cubs fan that made me take him to wrigely field when he came.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque