Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:41 AM

41 posts, read 86,171 times

Advertisements

I've been here almost two months, and I don't know any of my neighbors, yet. It's not that most of them are unfriendly, but it's that I never see them.

I think most are younger families with dual incomes and have either small or no children. I expect that when they come home at night, they pretty much crash in front of the TV out of exhaustion.

And then, there's my next door neighbor. She was in her back yard, and my wife introduced herself and my kids to her. The first words out of her mouth were, "I wish you're house would burn down. I've hated everyone who has ever lived in that house."

And then, she went on to tell horror stories (in her opinion) of the previous tenants (yes, it's a rental). We have had no more interaction with her, except for the one time my son went down the sidewalk on his skateboard. She promptly pulled her car out to block the sidewalk so he couldn't pass in front of her house.

srussellc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 11:08 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,685,773 times
Wow, sorry to hear that you've had such negative experiences with your next door neighbor . She sounds like a piece of work!

Our neighbors are nice. We are quite reclusive, but still interact with neighbors on a daily basis. Our neighborhood seems filled with retirees and stay-at-home moms and dads, so there are always people out during the day and evening. Some are more interactive than others.

Overall we've had very positive experiences with all of our neighbors. We have a strained relationship with our next door neighbors. They have a lot of dogs, which bark a lot. This did not bother us very much until they got a frightened and traumatized standard poodle who spends all of her time outside standing with her paws perched on the wall between our yards barking and growling ferociously nonstop. My daughter is terrified of this dog and has refused to go into the backyard (except in hysterics) for the past two years now. We basically do not use our back yard because of this dog. We spoke to our neighbors and their reaction ranged from irritated (the husband) to tearful (the wife). They agreed to build and keep the dog in a dog run, but it is inconsistent at best. She is still there barking at least 2-3 times per day.

My only other rant about our neighborhood are that there are some undersupervised adolescents who do a lot of petty property damage (graffiti, destroying ornamental lawn fixtures, etc), and one group in particular who tear around the neighborhood streets in a go cart. The go cart thing is scary because it comes up fast and is not very visible being so low to the ground. We have had to slam on our breaks more than once to avoid hitting the thing in our car and have seen other near misses when we were in our front yard. I had a go cart growing up and it was loads of fun, but I was never allowed to drive it where there might be any traffic.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:21 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,449,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srussellc View Post
And then, there's my next door neighbor. She was in her back yard, and my wife introduced herself and my kids to her. The first words out of her mouth were, "I wish you're house would burn down. I've hated everyone who has ever lived in that house."
srussellc
That's the type of neighbor that deserves the 1 am pizza delivery.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
That's the type of neighbor that deserves the 1 am pizza delivery.
Actually, I feel sorry for her more than I dislike her. She's an extremely angry and bitter person. That's got to be a miserable way to live your life.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:30 PM

14 posts, read 33,645 times
My neighbors setup lawn chairs in their driveways and sit outside all day watching tv and barbequing in their garage drunk. Only thing that gets in the way of their 24 hr block party is when they go to work.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:51 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,749,323 times
Zero problems. The noisiest thing here is the donkey that lives a block away and he's
far more amusing than annoying. We love to see the expression on peoples' faces when,
in the middle of Westside suburbia, a donkey starts braying...

Old 10-05-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
Zero problems. The noisiest thing here is the donkey that lives a block away and he's
far more amusing than annoying. We love to see the expression on peoples' faces when,
in the middle of Westside suburbia, a donkey starts braying...
So....you can say you're neighbor's an @ss, and you don't mean it as an insult.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:26 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,749,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srussellc View Post
So....you can say you're neighbor's an @ss, and you don't mean it as an insult.
Just don't call him a politician...

Old 10-05-2010, 09:20 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,934,399 times
When I am living in a building with walls and floors that let a lot of sound through, which is currently the case, I tend to avoid my immediate neighbors (because I am embarrassed about what I am hearing or what they are hearing, or both, and if not outright embarrassed, still not enthused about some of the excessively intimate familiarity that results from thin walls). I only really talk with one person in my building, and occasionally say hi to others and maybe talk very briefly if I run into them on the street.

Overall I am pretty lucky because, while this building could be hell with inconsiderate neighbors, everyone here right now (at least in my immediate part of the building) is pretty quiet.

I don't know what I'd do in a situation involving neighbors with barking dogs, since that drives me crazy. (There are some nearby neighbors, not in my own building, whose dogs go off sometimes, but it's definitely not constant and not usually at ridiculous hours of the day. I still don't understand why people would want creatures that make such horrible sounds, but I can tolerate the minimal amount of barking I have to deal with.)

The descriptions some of you have posted of your neighbors make me wonder how things will turn out for me in the long run. The prospects of running into something like that if I am eventually a home owner is worrisome. I could see myself getting into a violent altercation with some very rough people if noise were an issue. Noise can make me fearless in an essentially crazy way. I will have to choose neighborhoods careful, I guess, but there are few guarantees.

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 10-05-2010 at 09:32 PM..

Old 10-05-2010, 10:02 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,080 times
We moved into an old fogies (active adult) community in Bernalillo. The neighbors are great, since they all fall into 3 categories:
1. They moved here with the specific intent to make new friends, take part in many of the organized activities, laugh a lot and stay as active as we possible until they're in the ground.
2. They stay in their houses, hermit-like, and live a reclusive lifestyle so we never see them or have to interact with them.
3. They're too infirm or immobile to do much more than wave at us in passing.

#3 is tongue in cheek. I wouldn't wish that on anyone and luckily there are few folks like that in our development. Surprisingly and I think sadly, only 20-30% of the rest of us fall into category #1.

One of the added benefits of living in a place like this is that since we're all old even those with rough edges have largely had them worn off by now. Most have learned it's a lot better to laugh than hate. You live longer that way and your life's a lot more worth living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque