Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:23 PM

182 posts, read 708,605 times

Advertisements

$1.79 for a gallon of milk expensive? Not after you take a look at some pics of food prices in a Foodland supermarket in Hawaii...

//www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...maui-pics.html

Makes Maine prices look like a bargain, too.

If you're on the Mainland -- let alone NM -- count your blessings...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 08:48 AM

366 posts, read 1,248,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcroft View Post
$1.79 for a gallon of milk expensive? Not after you take a look at some pics of food prices in a Foodland supermarket in Hawaii...

//www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...maui-pics.html

Makes Maine prices look like a bargain, too.

If you're on the Mainland -- let alone NM -- count your blessings...
But to be fair, the coconuts are free. Fish too, if you can catch it.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:56 AM

Yeah, but you have to catch it yourself, from the shore or from your own boat. If you take one of those charter fishing boats, however, the captian keeps what you catch, not you, and he sells it for his and the crew's benefit...so in essence, you get billed twice, whether you like it or not.

Hi is different in lots of ways...

So, has anyone recovered from Foodland (Maui) sticker shock yet?

$1.79 for milk, $2.00, $2.50? I'll take it!

And don't get me started on HI electric rates or condo fees!

NM is a steal...

Old 11-18-2010, 09:57 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,370,518 times
NM is a steal...[/quote]

It sure is!

Old 11-19-2010, 11:13 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Utilities are a lot less here than they are back east. Heating costs here in the winter are very low. Actually the only thing we've found higher here is car insurance.
When we moved to New Mexico, I expected for our car insurance to drop in price. It didn't and the insurance company explained to me something about New Mexico being a "border" state (to Mexico) and related problems, etc.

We had come from Alaska where lots of people slide into each other, etc. so it was a bummer to find out no great drop in price!

Old 11-19-2010, 11:20 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcroft View Post
Yeah, but you have to catch it yourself, from the shore or from your own boat. If you take one of those charter fishing boats, however, the captian keeps what you catch, not you, and he sells it for his and the crew's benefit...so in essence, you get billed twice, whether you like it or not.

Hi is different in lots of ways...

So, has anyone recovered from Foodland (Maui) sticker shock yet?

$1.79 for milk, $2.00, $2.50? I'll take it!

And don't get me started on HI electric rates or condo fees!

NM is a steal...
But you get to live in beautiful Maui (my favorite)! They have to ship in a good amount of their food in Hawaii... so that's going to add to the expense; and you do pay for paradise you know.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:57 AM

Northanna_2001,

NM is also a state with LOTS of drunk drivers...THAT may have something to do with insurance rates. A second guess is it's more "convenient" to drive stolen cars into Mexico.

For example, I know that El Paso, TX, (just down I-10South 50 miles from las Cruces, NM) had about 500 stolen cars/month average going over the bridge, PLUS, it also had lots of UNinsured drivers. AND Mexicans driving over from Juarez into El Paso may or may not have insurance. Even if they didn't, what can you do -- they'd just cross back over the Border into Mexico -- the US is not AT ALL as strict as Mexico is when Americans cause accidents over THERE!. NM should be less impacted by these things since it's farther from the sorry Border...but then you still have the high rate of drunk drivers in NM regardless.

So these may be at least 2 reasons for insurance rates being not as low as you expected: Car theft and drunk drivers. Perhaps in smaller NM towns they'd be less...

BTW, I know about the "Paradise Tax," as if HI really WERE a Paradise. It's nice, but no better than any other state. Just different, forever Summer, and expensive. Besides, of course they have to ship everything in...including the tourists!

Last edited by cloudcroft; 11-20-2010 at 10:14 AM..

Old 12-03-2010, 07:41 AM

10 posts, read 28,704 times
Whew, finally got done with background check. NM, here we come. Thanks to all that helped me via PM and on the board.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:05 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,370,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat11 View Post
Whew, finally got done with background check. NM, here we come. Thanks to all that helped me via PM and on the board.
Welcome to NM!!!!!

Old 12-03-2010, 12:30 PM

1,567 posts, read 4,428,089 times
Welcome to New Mexico. Let us know how your first week or so goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque