Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2007, 04:52 AM

416 posts, read 1,399,204 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry to ask so many questions, but here's another...

We will likely have to get our kids into the doctors as soon as we get there, unless their physical from where we live now will be ok. Either way, we need to find a doctor. We prefer a family practice where we can get into see the same doctor with each visit. I prefer to get to know someone well rather then seeing someone different each time.

Can anyone recommend a family practice? Any that I should stay away from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 12:34 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,117 times
Default virtually all HMOs and PPOs

The healthcare system here in ABQ is very heavily weighted towards HMOs and PPOs, there just aren't enough private payers for the fee-for-service types to survive. Your choice of doctor will in all probability be circumscribed by both your health plan and by who is actually accepting new patients. I can recommend a very good pediatrician who works for the Prespyterian health plan, but he's on the E. side.

PM me if you're interested anyway.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
The healthcare system here in ABQ is very heavily weighted towards HMOs and PPOs, there just aren't enough private payers for the fee-for-service types to survive. Your choice of doctor will in all probability be circumscribed by both your health plan and by who is actually accepting new patients. I can recommend a very good pediatrician who works for the Prespyterian health plan, but he's on the E. side.

PM me if you're interested anyway.
Fortunately, we have plenty of doctors in Rio Rancho in our plan (PPO). I was hoping someone had a great recommendation for a family practice.

I'll PM you for the pediatrician's name. It'll at least help me out until we find a family doctor. Thanks!

Old 07-13-2007, 02:17 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,071,709 times
Presbyterial Medical Group has several doctors in Rio Rancho. And many of their services are co-located on High Resort.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLD View Post
Presbyterial Medical Group has several doctors in Rio Rancho. And many of their services are co-located on High Resort.
Who knew it would be so difficult to get in to see a doctor? I spent 3 hours the other day trying to find a doctor to get medical forms for school signed. I finally managed to get an appointment with a nasty witch (I mean doctor) who refused to give my daughter her migraine medicine because it's not what she would have prescribed. Instead she told me to take her to a neurologist. Ummm, how does she know a neuro didn't give it to her in the first place? I'm so angry at her! She was very short with us and didn't even say bye at the end...just walked out of the room.

When I called Presbyterian, I was told there were no family doctors (our preference) or peds at all accepting new patience. And, I could call back on Tuesday to see if anything has changed.

My 2 older kids have medical issues and I can't have a doctor like the witch I saw today.

Thanks for listening to me vent!

Old 08-30-2007, 07:26 AM

710 posts, read 2,961,701 times
My doctor is at Presbyterian on ABQ's Westside, he is terrific and if you're willing to drive a bit I'll give you his name. He would never treat you or your kids the way that "witch" I mean doctor did.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:54 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,071,709 times
well there are good docs and bad docs, good lawyers and bad lawyers, good teachers and bad teachers, good engineers and bad engineers and the list goes on.

Sorry you got a witch for a doc.

Presbyterian is popular and sometimes they don't accept new patients but then it usually opens up. When they lose a doc and have to replace them that usually causes some issues.

I would suggest you go to the one on the West Side then get on the waiting list for Rio Rancho and when it opens up you can switch over. I love my doc at Presbyterian.

Also you might consider signing on with an internal medicine person if there are no Peds or FP's open too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque