Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 10:53 PM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagicre View Post
Thank you so much, Dawn223, I appreciate your input and you speak about the thinks that do concern me when I do my research about ABQ. I am 56, my husband is 48 and we have both children (former marriage), but they are adults and have their own life, so the school system doesn't concern us directly, but education in general is very important to me.
They high criminality of ABQ does worry be too and I think the pay isn't to good even when the rent is cheaper than Portland, OR. And my husband always talks about having a garden and growing vegetables and I told him, I don't think you can do that in ABQ, I mean it is in the desert. I just look for a place we can call home, where the sun shines more than in the PNW, the rents are lower, but the economy isn't to bad and they pay decent wages.
My husband grew up in SoCal, he thinks it is cold when it is below 50 F (LOL). I am from Germany, and the weather is very similar in Portland, only even more rain than where I lived most of my life and I am sick and tired off it.
I think my husband would love to go back to California, but it is just to expensive. I just want to make a decent living. My husband works as a truck driver, but he hates to be away so much and I don't like that either. And I want to learn to become a dog trainer, so we need a place that has decent wages, enough well off people who have trouble with their dogs (LOL) and where the rent for a 2 bedroom house is below or not more than 800 dollar. Anybody knows a place like that?

Alot of people from Oregon that tire of the state move not only to the southwest states NM and Ariz but the Austin Tx area. It definitely has a climate more to your liking. Its economy has done much better than much of the country, in these dismal times we live in. I think the wages are better than Oregon and there is no income tax in Texas. I do think you will find the well off people with dogs in Austin. Housing is cheaper than Oregon and employment opportunities are much better in Austin. Lets face it Oregon is dying in the employment area, and the state better face up to reality and fast.

Since your researching areas take a look at the Austin forum and see what you think. It can't hurt and you never know you might discover a whole different place to consider. Austin is in a rather hilly area of Texas with transplants from all over the country 80 miles south is San Antonio. Both these areas have been gaining residents such as retirees and younger people looking for jobs. Otherwise NM is a great place. However if you feel the high crime is a deterrent to your living there then do this. Use your instincts on this decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 12:07 AM

202 posts, read 352,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casden View Post
I've been to the Botanical Gardens there many times. I used to live in Albuquerque and only left for a great job in another city. I've taken friends from California and Chicago there - we all love it. It's really beautiful. I especially like the Japanese Garden.

I've never heard of anyone getting shot or robbed at the Botanical Gardens. I think your description of Albuquerque seems a bit exagerated and extreme - but then again it is your opinion and your entitled to it.

My opinion (after living in other cities; larger and smaller ones) is that there are somethings that you find in Albuquerque that you can't find in other cities, and it is a city with a lot of character and alot to do. It was a good fit for me - one day I'll return and retire there.

BTW - I had a healthy and beautiful garden in my backyard when I lived there, but I know when I return I wouldn't plant the same water depleting plants I did back then.

I'm older and wiser and realize that there are alot of beautiful drought tolerant plants and trees that would make my yard look like a tropical paradise, without depleting water resources in the desert.

I totally agree. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the ABQ botanical gardens, always have. I have been to many botanical gardens in many cities both in the US and internationally and I still LOVE the ABQ botanical gardens, so Dawn's post does put into question her "truth". It sounds like Dawn is an unhappy person who does not like a desert-like climate and probably should be living in the PNW.

And the remark about no one being able to garden in albuquerque is totally ridiculous. I ran across more random fruit trees/bushes (from prickly pear to pomegranete to blackberry to cherry to apple) while living there than I ever did while living in the NE or other, greener places.

I miss ABQ - but the crime is a problem, mostly the property crime (unless you are involved in shady dealings or run a business that is often targeted (ie gas station) you won't deal with anything more than property crime. but still, that is a major problem there. no lie.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:40 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
I am a fan of Botanical Gardens and Arboretums. I make time whenever I visit a new city, foreign or domestic, to visit them and I am a repeat visitor of many of my favorites. I grew up about 2 miles from the Bronx Botanical gardens which is a world-class garden for its displays and botanical and horticultural research facilities, it is also several hundred acres and contains dozens of acres of native forest, a natural stretch of river and historic architecture.

That said, the Albuquerque Botanical Garden, while small, is an absolute gem and Albuquerqeans ought to be really proud of it. It is well, laid out, diverse in its displays, well kept, full of people in a good mood and the rapes and murders that Dawn223 mentions are kept to an absolute minimum.

That goes for the whole Albuquerque Biopark system.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:47 PM

5,015 posts, read 7,405,115 times
Dawn223 says there is "nothing to do" and we don't have the recreational opportunities of other places. I wonder if she could be more specific about what she would like to do but doesn't find here. Not only do we have plenty of recreation, we have excellent weather to do it in.

When I was living back East "recreation" to me mainly meant going for a bike ride, or sailing during the few months that you could do that. Since coming to ABQ I've enjoyed lots of other activities I never did back East: horseback riding, mountain hiking, skydiving, rock climbing, whitewater rafting, mountain biking, snowboarding, bird-watching, hot spring soaking, ballooning... and yes, lots of biking on ABQ's 130 miles of bike trails, canoeing in the Rio Grande... took up running, entered a 5k road race... in short, coming here opened up so many new avenues of activity it blows my mind when someone comes on here and says there's "nothing to do". You really have to want to do nothing to come to that conclusion, or you're just not very imaginative or adventurous. Maybe just genuinely clueless.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:53 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post

When I was living back East "recreation" to me mainly meant going for a bike ride, or sailing during the few months that you could do that. Since coming to ABQ I've enjoyed lots of other activities I never did back East: horseback riding, mountain hiking, skydiving, rock climbing, whitewater rafting, mountain biking, snowboarding, bird-watching, hot spring soaking, ballooning
Interestingly, all those things can be done back east, too (except maybe the hot spring soaking). Most people who 'can't find anything to do' really just don't want to do anything and it makes for a convenient excuse.

There is plenty to do in Albuquerque and a lot more if you consider Santa Fe within range.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:45 PM

4 posts, read 6,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagicre View Post
And I appreciate everybody who is giving me his or her opinion. When I relocate, I often have only the internet for information and the forums are a great place. I can't just visit ABQ, we don't have the money and time for that. So I have to rely on the internet. Everybody has a different experience in his life and I just gather and make up my own mind. So you don't have to criticize each other for your opinion. I am grateful for you different point of few. At the moment I am looking at Boise, ID, ABQ and Denver, CO.
kagicre, Denver, CO is AMAZING!!! I travel to Denver at least once per month for work, and I have many family and friends there, so I've spent a great deal of time there. One of the things I love most about Denver is you get the best of both worlds- You can be right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of downtown Denver, but you're never more than 30 minutes away from mountains, lakes, and the most beautiful scenery you could imagine! Denver is a big city, and comes with the standard big city problems, but I've personally never felt "unsafe" there, as I do in Albuquerque. Also, there are many smaller towns and suburbs surrounding Denver if you don't want to live IN the city. So, I certainly had some bad things to say about Albuquerque, but I will NEVER say anything bad about Denver. In my experience, the people are absolutely wonderful and friendly, and I've never once experienced boredom in Denver, even when work has required me to stay there for an extended period of time. I know that the cost of living in Denver is higher than it is in Albuquerque (not sure how it compares to Portland) but there are other towns just outside of Denver (Greely, for instance) where the cost of living as well as home prices are way lower.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:42 PM

4 posts, read 6,797 times
Wow. I knew that my original post was going to make a few people's blood boil, but I had no idea to what extent. Do you guys not find it comical that my OPINION (keywordpinion- Look it up, if you're not sure what it means) of New Mexico got most of you extremely worked up? I certainly wasn't worked up over your opinions of how terrific this place is. Like I said previously, some people LOVE it, some people loathe it. Rarely will you find someone who has a neutral opinion on living in New Mexico. m92tiger- My "truth" is that the Albuquerque Botanical Gardens is mediocre. My truth is that it's located in a terrible area. My truth is that I've seen better. That may not be your "truth", and I'm so terribly sorry from the bottom of my heart that our "truths" aren't the same, but it is what it is. My OPINION versus your OPINION. OPINION doesn't equal FACT. She asked for opinions. I regret providing mine, as it triggered the typical New Mexican "pack mentality". Furthermore, I am a very happy person, but you are absolutely correct- I despise the desert-like climate and probably SHOULD in fact be residing in the PNW, but alas, work doesn't permit that at this time. Also, if I may correct your harsh judgement once again, never once did I say that gardening is impossible in Albuquerque. I have a garden. I have grass. I have beautiful flowers, trees, and I grow an abundance of vegetables in the summer. Clearly I don't actually believe that one cannot garden in Albuquerque. I simply stated that due to the lack of precipitation, (which is FACT rather than opinion by the way) it's a little more difficult than what she may be used to in Oregon. Aries- everything that you mentioned in regards to recreational activities is absolutely correct. All of those are available to do at pretty much any given time in New Mexico. I cannot disagree with that. But, most of the things you've mentioned are activities that can be done in many other places, and New Mexico isn't the "gem" of all things recreational. Personally, biking in the desert just doesn't do it for me. Hiking is great, and something that my family and I do quite often, but the mountains of New Mexico aren't the most beautiful I've seen, and the neverending supply of broken beer bottles and garbage that seems to be littering most hiking trails these days puts a bit of a damper on it. Skiing is a wonderful recreational opportunity, IF and when the ski areas get enough snow to open and stay open. Whitewater rafting- another fun and awesome recreational opportunity, which I enjoy very much. BUT- after whitewater rafting in beautiful Colorado, I wasn't as impressed with whitewater rafting in New Mexico as I once was. Perhaps it's all about the scenery for me in regards to recreation. I'd rather bike on trails surrounded by lush green trees, hike on trails that aren't littered with garbage and booze bottles, camp somewhere peaceful and beautiful where graffitti isn't visible, go fishing in lakes, rivers and streams that are flowing rather than stagnant and aren't littered with junk, go boating and water skiing on a lake that's NOT surrounded by desert and drunks- That's my preference. I am happy for you that you thoroughly enjoy the state of New Mexico, and have discovered many new and exciting recreational opportunities, just as I am happy for anyone who absolutely loves where they live. I simply do not like most of New Mexico (in my original post I DID in fact state that there were some absolutely beautiful places in New Mexico, but most of you were so quick and excited to attack me that you must not have read that), and not liking New Mexico is my right. It is only my opinion, but it is my right to have that opinion. The fact that my post upset so many people is just further proof of the standard New Mexican "Believe the exact same way that I do, or else" mentality. What is it with you people and your inability to tolerate the views and opinions of others? Kagicre, I wish you all the best of luck in your move, and I hope you can find someplace that offers the perfect balance of what you're looking for! I'm posting a link pertaining to the crime statistics, and New Mexico's ranking in the "Most Dangerous States" category, since some of the others have accused me of being a little "off" with my facts, and seem to see NM as some sort of a "pleasantville" where nothing bad happens. Most dangerous states: Crime rankings for 2010

I apologize that your request for opinions and information turned into a battle of viewpoints as a result of my opinion. Good luck to you!

Old 01-18-2011, 05:31 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,080 times
Dawn, methinks you doth protest too much.

It's fine to state your opinions but you presented some things as facts, such as:

- "I don't know what your interests/hobbies are, but there really isn't a whole lot to do here." Maybe not the things you're interested in but as others have stated there's an incredible amount of things to do depending on your interests.

- "If you're the type of person who enjoys having four seasons, New Mexico is not for you..." This certainly implies that aren't 4 seasons here which just isn't true.

- "The lack of precipitation prevents anything from growing..." Your latest post instead says "I simply stated that due to the lack of precipitation, (which is FACT rather than opinion by the way) it's a little more difficult than what she may be used to in Oregon." A reasonable person would never guess that a statement that says our lack of percipitation prevents anything from growing is the same thing as it being a little more difficult to grow things.

- "Ours is hardly a 'botanical' garden. It's hardly even a 'garden'." I won't pile on this one given the other comments; you're just wrong on this one.

- "...spending a few hours at Albuquerque's botanical garden comes with a price of course... nothing like spending a day out with the family wondering when you're going to be shot and robbed, or when the next drive-by shooting might happen!" Even if drive-bys were as common as you comment implies (which is so ridiculously wrong that all I can do is laugh about it) I'm not even sure where someone could drive by close enough to shoot you in the botanical garden and they certainly couldn't see to do it through the trees!

You didn't preface a lot of what you said with "in my opinion"; instead most was stated as facts. Are you really that surprised that others questioned the validity of your facts?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:17 PM

5,015 posts, read 7,405,115 times
Dawn233, you're giving yourself too much credit for "upsetting" people and making their "blood boil" but that goes along with the hyperbole you've used consistently. I personally don't mind your opinions at all, it's when you misrepresent facts, or describe things that are the opposite of my own experiences that makes me speak up.

I've never experienced the garbage-strewn trails or broken bottles you described. I've always been impressed with how clean trails are (except for the occasional dog poop near the bottom of some trails). I have been hiking in Colorado and didn't find those trails in any better condition. My recent hiking near Boulder was disappointing in that the trails were so crowded with people it was hard to enjoy, something I've seldom experienced in NM. Yes, much of Colorado is incredibly beautiful, but I find the Denver metro area overcrowded compared to Albuquerque and spoke to a few area residents who complained about how bad the traffic is, even in the evenings. I experienced horrendous traffic snarls there even with six lanes in both directions on I-25. The views of the mountains from many places around Denver are not very impressive IMO, with very barren-looking foothills. Denver does seem to have an excellent network of jogging trails which I used during my recent stay. I found it a nice place to visit but not sure I'd want to live there.

And yes, most of the activities I listed above are available back East, but my point was I never thought about doing them until I came here, where the weather is almost never a deterrent, where I met people who were active and outdoor-oriented (vs. strictly urban lifestyle) who were encouraging me to take part in these activities. I think there are just far fewer people back East (living in cities, where I lived) who were interested in nature and getting out and exploring the world around them. At least I didn't meet very many.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:51 AM

202 posts, read 352,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn223 View Post
Wow. I knew that my original post was going to make a few people's blood boil, but I had no idea to what extent. Do you guys not find it comical that my OPINION (keywordpinion- Look it up, if you're not sure what it means) of New Mexico got most of you extremely worked up? I certainly wasn't worked up over your opinions of how terrific this place is. Like I said previously, some people LOVE it, some people loathe it. Rarely will you find someone who has a neutral opinion on living in New Mexico. m92tiger- My "truth" is that the Albuquerque Botanical Gardens is mediocre. My truth is that it's located in a terrible area. My truth is that I've seen better. That may not be your "truth", and I'm so terribly sorry from the bottom of my heart that our "truths" aren't the same, but it is what it is. My OPINION versus your OPINION. OPINION doesn't equal FACT. She asked for opinions. I regret providing mine, as it triggered the typical New Mexican "pack mentality". Furthermore, I am a very happy person, but you are absolutely correct- I despise the desert-like climate and probably SHOULD in fact be residing in the PNW, but alas, work doesn't permit that at this time. Also, if I may correct your harsh judgement once again, never once did I say that gardening is impossible in Albuquerque. I have a garden. I have grass. I have beautiful flowers, trees, and I grow an abundance of vegetables in the summer. Clearly I don't actually believe that one cannot garden in Albuquerque. I simply stated that due to the lack of precipitation, (which is FACT rather than opinion by the way) it's a little more difficult than what she may be used to in Oregon. Aries- everything that you mentioned in regards to recreational activities is absolutely correct. All of those are available to do at pretty much any given time in New Mexico. I cannot disagree with that. But, most of the things you've mentioned are activities that can be done in many other places, and New Mexico isn't the "gem" of all things recreational. Personally, biking in the desert just doesn't do it for me. Hiking is great, and something that my family and I do quite often, but the mountains of New Mexico aren't the most beautiful I've seen, and the neverending supply of broken beer bottles and garbage that seems to be littering most hiking trails these days puts a bit of a damper on it. Skiing is a wonderful recreational opportunity, IF and when the ski areas get enough snow to open and stay open. Whitewater rafting- another fun and awesome recreational opportunity, which I enjoy very much. BUT- after whitewater rafting in beautiful Colorado, I wasn't as impressed with whitewater rafting in New Mexico as I once was. Perhaps it's all about the scenery for me in regards to recreation. I'd rather bike on trails surrounded by lush green trees, hike on trails that aren't littered with garbage and booze bottles, camp somewhere peaceful and beautiful where graffitti isn't visible, go fishing in lakes, rivers and streams that are flowing rather than stagnant and aren't littered with junk, go boating and water skiing on a lake that's NOT surrounded by desert and drunks- That's my preference. I am happy for you that you thoroughly enjoy the state of New Mexico, and have discovered many new and exciting recreational opportunities, just as I am happy for anyone who absolutely loves where they live. I simply do not like most of New Mexico (in my original post I DID in fact state that there were some absolutely beautiful places in New Mexico, but most of you were so quick and excited to attack me that you must not have read that), and not liking New Mexico is my right. It is only my opinion, but it is my right to have that opinion. The fact that my post upset so many people is just further proof of the standard New Mexican "Believe the exact same way that I do, or else" mentality. What is it with you people and your inability to tolerate the views and opinions of others? Kagicre, I wish you all the best of luck in your move, and I hope you can find someplace that offers the perfect balance of what you're looking for! I'm posting a link pertaining to the crime statistics, and New Mexico's ranking in the "Most Dangerous States" category, since some of the others have accused me of being a little "off" with my facts, and seem to see NM as some sort of a "pleasantville" where nothing bad happens. Most dangerous states: Crime rankings for 2010

I apologize that your request for opinions and information turned into a battle of viewpoints as a result of my opinion. Good luck to you!

K Honey. I just saw your post on how much you LOVE LOVE Denver...nuff said. I grew up in Colorado and can't stand Denver or it's surrounding areas. I see it all as plain, suburban, middleness. Albuquerque's got character. And Denver's got plenty of unsafe places just like Albuquerque. In 1998, while I worked for a troubled girl's school in Aurora, I found out that Denver, at the time, was #1 - yes, honey, NUMERO UNO, in GANG ACTIVITY in the NATION.

so

SMH.

peace out.

and LMAO

at your remark at the trails of NM vs. Colorado

MY EXPERIENCE and yes the 26 years of IT...sayz this

I couldn't stand the fact in Colorado that it seemed that the most if not all hiking trails in Colorado (and that means 100% of those I experienced and the only reason I am leaving room for possiblity of something else is that there may be something outside my experience that is different) had to share the trail with mountain bikes and horses. What does that mean??? Oh you know, lots of HORSE DUNG in the trail to avoid and FLIES and as far as the mountain bikers go...just make sure you get out of their way before they plow you down.

What I experienced in NM in this regards...yes there are trails where all 3 must share but there are also DESIGNATED trails where it is HIKERS only or Mtn biking or Horse trail only. Therefore I experience A LOT!!! less of this "crap" than I did in Colorado.

Last edited by m92tiger; 01-19-2011 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: didn't see other posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque