Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 09:17 PM

18,211 posts, read 25,846,208 times

Advertisements

Had the pleasure of staying in the Duke City on Labor Day weekend, got back home yesterday. My favorite places to eat didn't disappoint me (Taco Sal-Eubank and Menaul, Owl Cafe on Eubank, and the two Range Cafe's on East Menaul and the one in front of Hastings Video on Montgomery and Wyoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 09:27 PM

434 posts, read 1,106,180 times
Do most Mexican restaurants serve free chips and salsa? In Illinois that's common, I haven't been to any Mexican restaurants in Rio Rancho, just El Pinto in Albuquerque.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:57 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,423,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayely1 View Post
Do most Mexican restaurants serve free chips and salsa? In Illinois that's common, I haven't been to any Mexican restaurants in Rio Rancho, just El Pinto in Albuquerque.
Depends on the restaurant. I'd say 6 out of 10 serve chips.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:08 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,815,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post

The Frontier Restaurant, Albuquerque, New Mexico. This is the best way to introduce someone to wonderfully quirky world of New Mexican food. Have them order a breakfast burrito and smother it with Green Chile stew. Some fresh-squeezed OJ on the side ... Shot at sunset, early Sept. Don Peterson. Frontier Restaurant, Albuquerque - Petersonlive
A burger and fries is not what I really look for when I come to Albuquerque. But that's a topic for the other thread.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:18 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,305,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
A burger and fries is not what I really look for when I come to Albuquerque. But that's a topic for the other thread.
If all you think Frontier has is "burgers & fries," you're doing it wrong.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
If all you think Frontier has is "burgers & fries," you're doing it wrong.
hehe, that was from that website. I have heard about their cinnamon rolls.

Quote:
These New Mexican condiments go perfectly with everything on the menu. And, that menu is distinctly New Mexican, as the green chili on your burger and fries can attest to.

Last edited by PanTerra; 09-10-2012 at 01:40 PM..

Old 09-10-2012, 01:33 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,305,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
THat was also from that website.
Hit the NM Food tab.

Frontier has some of the best green chile in town. A near perfect blend of heat & roastedness*...

I take it you've never been...??

*Pretty sure that's an appropriate word when discussing chile verde.

Spoiler
New Mexican Food
•CARNE ADOVADA BURRITO
•SOFT TACO flour tortilla, chicken, beef or carne adovada with cheese, lettuce & tomato
•TACO (crispy) chicken, beef or carne adovada, cheese, lettuce & tomato
•TOSTADA beans, cheese, lettuce & tomato
•ENCHILADAS served with rice, lettuce, tomato, cheese, onion, & flour tortilla
•1/2 ORDER ENCHILADAS with rice, lettuce, tomato, cheese, onion & flour tortilla

CHICKEN, BEEF, OR CHEESE with choice of:
RED CHILE, GREEN CHILE STEW or CHOPPED GREEN CHILE
•MEXICAN COMBO enchilada, taco, rice, beans and flour tortilla
•FRONTIER BURRITO beef, beans, green chile inside, green chile stew & cheese on top, w/rice & flour tortilla
•VEGETARIAN BURRITO beans, green chile inside, green chile salsa & cheese on top, w/ rice & flour tortilla
•GREEN CHILE STEW or POSOLE (5 oz., 8 oz. or 12 oz.)
•CHICKEN NACHOS chicken, beans, chips, cheese, jalapeño lettuce & tomato
•BEAN & CHEESE BURRITO

Old 09-11-2012, 07:56 AM

963 posts, read 2,301,698 times
The Frontier has what I like to call transitional food. It is New Mexican 'Lite' if you will. It is the best place to bring folks visiting New Mexico for the first time. You want to slowly ease them into the heretofore unknown palette of New Mexican edible delights. Once they sample the Frontier (and like it) you slowly introduce them to more exotic New Mexican fare. It is a gradual process and cannot be rushed. If they have a relapse and start mumbling words like McDonalds and Taco Bell incoherently as lunchtime approaches, don't panic. Take them to Flying Star and feed them fish tacos until they regain consciousness.

It may be helpful to take your patient (er, guest) and drive slowly past spinning roasters full of tempting green chiles outside of Whole Foods (be sure to roll down your windows). Repeat as necessary. That heady aroma has been known to awaken hidden yearnings for chile relenos and posole from the deepest recesses of the human psyche.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:44 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
The Frontier has what I like to call transitional food. It is New Mexican 'Lite' if you will. It is the best place to bring folks visiting New Mexico for the first time.
Agreed. I have performed that test five times, four people were successfully indoctrinated. One person failed... Mumbling in various non New Mexican languages as they were transferred to the Sunport... They are now happy in a major east coast city...

Old 09-11-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
The Frontier has what I like to call transitional food. It is New Mexican 'Lite' if you will. It is the best place to bring folks visiting New Mexico for the first time. You want to slowly ease them into the heretofore unknown palette of New Mexican edible delights. Once they sample the Frontier (and like it) you slowly introduce them to more exotic New Mexican fare. It is a gradual process and cannot be rushed. If they have a relapse and start mumbling words like McDonalds and Taco Bell incoherently as lunchtime approaches, don't panic. Take them to Flying Star and feed them fish tacos until they regain consciousness.

It may be helpful to take your patient (er, guest) and drive slowly past spinning roasters full of tempting green chiles outside of Whole Foods (be sure to roll down your windows). Repeat as necessary. That heady aroma has been known to awaken hidden yearnings for chile relenos and posole from the deepest recesses of the human psyche.
Well that explains one of the reasons I was steered clear of it during a quick drive through it as it was also more catering to the college kids. With so many restaurants and so little time, I do have to be discerning. And besides they knew I had placed-out of the uninitiated palette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque