Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 06:29 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are considering relocating to Albuquerque. I know its not a "gay city" but, is there any gay community to speak of, i.e., groups, bars, other venues?

Aside from a gay community, are there affordable areas outside the city limits where property is affordable? We have three dogs who are used to quite a bit of land and would like to find an area where they can run free.

Also, looking at real estate in and around the city, I saw very few existing properties with swimming pools. I understand that water usage is a big issue there but are pools a rarity?

Bicyling and motorcyling--is Albuquerque a bicycle friendly city or do you need to bike outside the city?

Are there many motorcycle "bikers riding groups" in Albuquerque? I currently have a bike but living around Baltimore is increasingly dangerous on a motorcylce, look forward to living somewhere with less traffic, more winding roads for cycling.

Any other plusses or minuses anyone can offer about the area is appreciated. We prefer a more rural/suburban lifestyle so, we don't need big city shopping, nightlife, etc. But, some decent restaurants, neighborhood no frills bar is always a plus.
thanks for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 07:31 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,081,122 times
nurider2002 wondered:

> I know its not a "gay city" but, is there any gay community
> to speak of, i.e., groups, bars, other venues?

There used to be an area near a gay bookstore near Montclaire
and Central where there were a couple of bars, I think.

It was also an area where the male prostitutes would walk the
streets (just a block S of where the 'regular' ones walked).
I had a girlfriend who lived right in there and it was difficult
to cross Silver street because buyers slowed down to try to get
me to come to their car - thinking I was 'peddling.'
(I had fabulous legs back then and it was summer.
I think they would pass me by if I tried to cross today.)

In general, the gay community seems to just be out there
because Albuquerque is not big enough to have much of a
dedicated gay industry.

Of course, not being a night-lifer anyway, there could be
a dozen gay bars out there and I might not know of them.

> ... is Albuquerque a bicycle friendly city or do you need
> to bike outside the city?

I'd say yes just by observing the bike traffic. I bike to work
a lot. It's downhill for seven miles going, so I'm in good
shape for work and my workout is going home.

When I am in the street, I find most drivers courteous.

The weather is acceptable for biking pretty-much year round.
There are numerous trails that either go through parks and/or
follow arroyos going E-W and N-S. These trails are shared,
so if you are deadly serious, you can join the other d.s.
bikers on the street.

Going cross-city from foothills to Rio Rancho is doable.
People love cross-country biking on the state highways and
such, but I'm strictly a commuter.

A great trek is to bike up to the top of Sandia Crest.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:58 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
It is definately not an anti-gay town. There are several bars that cater to the gay crowd but mostly it seems like there are a lot of lesbians here. That may just be because I don't have good "gaydar" but dykes tend to stand out more.

It's a good place for bicycling, many local bike stores (not just chains) and I see a lot of group rides including one that stops for brekkie at my local coffee shop.

as far as motorcycling, just east of town, Rt. 14 north to the "ghost" towns and 337 south would make a couple of brilliant rides and I see guys riding their bikes out there all the time.

ABQConvict

Old 08-19-2007, 09:14 AM

4 posts, read 31,071 times
Default Gay life in Alb.

I've been away from Alb. for years but my family is there and I will be moving back within a year I hope. My sister and her partner live there and really enjoy it. I can also say that Alb. is not an anti-gay city and there is a definite gay community. I visit almost annually and over the past 20yrs have noticed a more accepting attitude over all. Albuquerque has always been more progressive than Oklahoma but I've noticed a definite change for the good for us.
As for night life....all I can say is that my sister tells me there are more gay clubs here than there. She doesn't do clubs and I haven't checked it out for myself yet. I do have the same concerns as you.
As for bicycles, yes! Even 20yrs ago you could get just about anywhere in Alb. by bike...and I did. Dedicated bike and jogging paths from the east side(foothills) to the university to the Rio Grande(beautifull rides along the river) as well as bike lanes on surface streets(still have to watch for cars). Busses accomodate bicycles all over.
Outdoor activities and great weather, mountains, sunrises, sunsets, Alb. is a very livable city for gay couples or singles just more low key than gay "meccas". Hope this helps. Any questions get in touch.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 20,946 times
The gay community in Albuquerque is definitely not as visible as it is in many cities. I've lived here a few years and while I find being gay here is really not an issue, there isn't a lot of the community I have found in other places.

There is no gay neighborhood to speak of. Areas around the university and Nob Hill are generally regarded as the most gay friendly, but gay people live all over town. You won't find any gay specific shops anywhere like you would in many other towns.

Albuquerque only has a few bars. A couple of places recently went out of business and have heard rumors of a new place opening, but their coming soon website is gone so who knows.
Sidewinders a CW bar

Pulse/Blu dance club for the younger crowd. Their website seems to have disappeared.

The Albuquerque Social Club. Again no website. Private Club.

The three big GLBT events here are:

Southwest Gay and Lesbian Film Festival Held in the fall and it's getting better each year.

Pride In June

Zia Rodeo going on this weekend.

There is a gay paper that comes out every 2 weeks. New Mexico VoiceAlso has improved in the time I've been here. I wished they had a better website and updated it more often.

If you are politically inclined there is Equality New Mexico

There's a group for business and professionals Sandia Out Professional Alliance (SOPA)

There's also a gay outdoor group New Mexico Outdoors

And a Gay Men's Chorus New Mexico Gay Men's Chorus

Unfortunately the few websites online about gay Albuquerque are all very outdated and none of them seem to have been updated since I've moved here.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:48 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,268 times
My partner and I moved to Albuquerque last year from NYC. For several months we thought we were one of the few gay couples in town, but gradually we began discovering gay life. It turns out that there is a very lively social life here. We've met lots and lots of gay couples by joining groups and clubs like the Albuquerque Social Club, Prime Timers, and the New Mexico Outdoors club. People have moved here from all parts of the country and are eager to meet others and begin friendships. The City itself is tolerant and accepting.

There are plenty of things to do. Good restaurants, beautiful scenery to explore, a great climate.

It's also a great city for biking. There are very long bike trails along the Rio Grande and on Tramway Blvd (over 12 miles long). I bike every day and see dozens of fellow bikers.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:23 AM

2 posts, read 21,163 times
I am thinking of retiring to ABQ and would like help finding a good area to buy a house.
Thanks for any feedback!

Old 01-30-2008, 08:38 AM

741 posts, read 2,923,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arggie View Post
I am thinking of retiring to ABQ and would like help finding a good area to buy a house.
Thanks for any feedback!
Are you looking for a "gay friendly" area of town to live in? If that is not one of your criteria, I'd suggest you start a new thread...

Chap

Old 01-30-2008, 09:29 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,081,122 times
Chaparral suggested:

> Originally Posted by arggie
> > I am thinking of retiring to ABQ ... help finding a good area ...

> ..... I'd suggest you start a new thread...

No. No. No. Respectfully, NO.

Please don't start a new thread. Read the jillions of existing threads on the same exact subject and get some familiarity with the subject and ask specific questions.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:46 AM

741 posts, read 2,923,033 times
Ah, yes. You are quite right, Mr. Snerd. Please forgive my faux pas. Any new poster here at C-D would do well to exercise the "Search" function.

My main point was that unless arggie was looking for information with a gay slant, he might do well to seek information in a different thread.

Chap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque