Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 06:51 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,071,709 times

Advertisements

rush hour like London? LOL... Sorry but that made me laugh! Rush hour in London is more like NYC or the DC metro are here or Los Angeles. Albuquerque really has no rush hour compared to the bad stuff in the United States. But it's all relative.

BTW, love your name.

Abqsunport -- thanks for taking my assessment in stride. I agree with you that compared to other comparable cities the Sunport does very well.

And yes I am totally spoiled having had the three major airports in the DC area at my beck and call. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 12:57 PM
M2N

32 posts, read 170,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLD View Post
I actually say Chicago might be the best -- centrally located, decent with allergies, and one of the most major airports in the world with lots of flights to Canada and also to the UK and Europe.
The winters would be too unbearable up here for someone from the UK. Otherwise everything else about Chicago, like you suggest, would be perfect.

Atlanta would work well for direct flights out...

And the suggestion of VA is excellent!!

Old 08-23-2007, 01:03 PM
M2N

And any hour is rush hour in London. I lived there for a semester and feared for my life crossing major roads. The pedestrian does NOT have right of way there...

Old 08-24-2007, 10:52 AM

361 posts, read 1,092,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqsunport View Post
Well let’s be fair. Washington DC's and Baltimore’s combined metro areas are 8,207,040. Albuquerque's metro is 815,000. And it isn't a secondary airport, but rather a mid-size airport. A secondary airport would be more like Dallas Love field is to DFW or Houston Hobby is to Houston Bush Intercontinental.

Compared to cities of similar size to Albuquerque, Albuquerque has the best airport hands down for flights.

Tucson, ABQ is much Better!
Oklahoma City, ABQ is much Better!
El Paso, ABQ is much better!
Omaha, ABQ is much better!
Tulsa, ABQ is much better!
You name a city within +/-50% of Albuquerque's population, and Albuquerque will be a better airport in terms of flights ,airlines, prices, and availability hands down every time!

Obviously Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Dallas, PHX, LA, NYC, Cincinnati, etc. are going to have better airports. But they are all URBAN, and that is what the poster is trying to get away from. So if the poster wants to live in a city of Albuquerque’s size, Albuquerque would be the best option because of the Sunport.

All of your points LLD are very valid, however, they don't all apply to the what the poster is asking for. (He doesn't want to humidity, so Washington, Dallas, Houston, Florida, New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Philly, Seattle, Portland, and other large airports are out just becuase of that.) And yes you have been very spoiled in the way of flights in Washington, DC.

Just an FYI - Cincinnati is not all that urban, but it is a hub (for Delta Airlines - I think).

Old 08-24-2007, 12:20 PM

36 posts, read 120,421 times
The "rush hour in London" comment had a lot more to do with the emotional side of the traffic jams rather than the volume - in Abq I experience the same sinking feeling that I do when driving in London, that I will never get anywhere and the heat or the damp (the latter only a London problem of course) will consume me before I get to my destination

I think pedestrian life is a lot easier in London than it is here. But I would agree that Londoners, like Albuquerqueans, have little regard for pedestrians - it just seems worse here because there are more lanes of traffic aimed at you and you run a higher risk of being hit by a Hummer

Old 08-27-2007, 02:08 PM
M2N

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee_sassenach View Post
it just seems worse here because there are more lanes of traffic aimed at you and you run a higher risk of being hit by a Hummer
LOL!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque