Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2007, 03:12 AM

69 posts, read 211,385 times

Advertisements

I have been lurking a bit to get a feel for what Alb is like .... we are currently in Germany and will be here for about another 3 years. Before coming here, we lived in NH. We really didn't like it there because of the long winters and people tend to be VERY reserved in NH. It's a bit difficult to make friends if you are not from NH.We decided to leave and my husband had 2 job opportunities....one in AL and the other in Germany and we chose Germany.
We plan to leave Germany in 3 years and are seriously considering Alb area. My family lives in Aztec, NM and it's a nice little town, but we would have to live in the Alb area because of the job situation. We are retired military, my husband is civil service now.
I know the drive to Aztec is about 3 hours from Alb and it's a beautiful drive!! Love it. I have not been to the Alb area very much. I have read alot of posts on this site and there are mixed feelings.
I understand crime is a problem, but I feel that if you live in a good neighborhood you don't have to worry too much about crime.
I love the weather in NM (I understand that there are 4 seasons....(not looking for summer year round, although I know the seasons are mild, such as winter and fall), I know it gets hot (desert!!) I know there isn't much lush vegetation (desert!). My biggest concerns are schools. I will have one in high school and one in elementary school. Seems that Rio Rancho has a good school system (I have researched the schools on other websites). I was hoping to find out about other towns close to Alb (within commuting distance of around 30 min).... does anyone know about schools in Edgewood?
I am determind to be there in 3 years to be closer to my family, but I also want to make sure that my kids will have a good education.
We can afford about $250k-$300K home, so hopefully that could put us in a good neighborhood.
I love reading all the posts here and most are very positive about the area, but some are pretty bitter. I have traveled alot due to the military and am familiar with crime, poverty, etc. I am just looking for a place to settle down and finally say "We're Home!" and not move anymore.
I guess my biggest question is the schools. We thought NH would be a great place for kids, but the schools my kids went to were rated lower than those in Rio Rancho and my kids felt like they were invisible because of the mass overcrowding in the schools in the area of NH we lived in.
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
I know 3 years is way down the road, but I am totally focused in getting to NM and want to plan. Thank you again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 06:10 AM

I apologize for asking a question that has been asked a million times...(re: the schools).... I am not familiar enough with the different parts of Albuquerque. What parts of Albuquerque are considered "good neighborhoods" for lack of a better term?
I have been reading alot of posts asking questions re: schools..... I think I am just looking for towns to research besides Rio Rancho.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:28 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,611,373 times
Good parts of Albuquerque are going to be the NW and NE parts of town. I lived in the NW part of Albuquerque for 5.5 years. And yes there are pockets of good neighborhoods in the rest of the city. People always ask where to you live in Albuquerque and you will be judged by the NW, NE, SW or SE.

Honestly, I think you'd love Rio Rancho. You could also look at homes in the La Cueva school district (NE side of ABQ). NW side has a lot of overcrowding as this is where a lot of the new homes are being built.

I don't know anything about the schools in Edgewood. Just for me I wouldn't want to live out there and have to drive thru the mountain pass every day with a semi truck on my ass. Not my idea of fun driving. Not to mention it can get kind of nasty on the interstate in the winter time.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Thank you!

Thanks Heather72 for your reply. I will definitely research those areas. It doesn't hurt to start looking now.....I am determined to get to NM in 3 years! THe housing market should hopefully be stable by that time, so maybe we can buy a good home without busting our bank acct.
Thanks again!

Old 08-13-2007, 01:02 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,181,344 times
Albuquerque could have $150k or $350k median prices in 3 yrs. The housing market is very volatile right now.

If you're ex-military and want to be near Aztec, can always try Pueblo, Durango, Grand Junction, or Flagstaff. Should have VA facilities in most, and presumably lower cost of living than ABQ in 3 years.

There are nice and not-so-nice areas in all four quadrants of ABQ. All but very few neighborhoods are very safe.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:05 AM

Default Thanks Zoidberg

Those are all very nice areas you mentioned in your post, but because of the job situation, we would have to be around the Albuquerque area...... fortunately we don't need VA because we have pretty good health ins. with my husband's military retirement.
Thanks again for your post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque