Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2007, 02:02 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,423,203 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what will happen to Raley's employees once Albertson's takes over later this week.

Will they stay with their current jobs? Will they be offered other positions by Raley's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 02:27 PM

710 posts, read 2,961,701 times
The Albuquerque Journal reported that all 850 NM employees will be offered their positions with Albertson's. The stores will be closed Tues-Thurs, then reopen as Albertsons on Friday.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:07 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,426 times
I have heard different things from different employees. Some have said that anyone who wanted to go through Albertson's hiring process was retained, BUT not necessarily at the same store at which they worked. Others said that the schedules available to the courtesy clerks, mostly high school students, wouldn't mesh with their school schedules so many could not stay.

Then too, the employees at Lomas/Tramway thought they would be staying there and open, and look what happened.

I do all my chain shopping at Juan Tabo/Candelaria so I guess I'll find out what is what on Friday.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:27 PM

7 posts, read 28,325 times
I shopped at the Raley's at Montgomery and Wyoming which is now permanently closed, together with one other whose location I'm not sure of. Employees I spoke with told me that most of them were offered jobs at other stores that are being converted to Albertsons. The employees thought there would likely be staff reductions in all the converted stores so they weren't counting on long-term jobs with Albertsons.

It's a shame. I loved the warm friendliness of Raley's and was willing to drive out of my way to shop there. Smith's is just a block from my home so I'll likely be doing all my shopping there. They too cut way back on staff when they remodeled and are still pushing customers to use the do-it-yourself checkout counter.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:15 AM

741 posts, read 1,379,426 times
Rockgirl,

The other Raley's closed for good was at Tramway/Lomas. IMO much nicer than the Albertsons at Juan Tabo/Lomas. I admit I rarely went there, but the employees seemed quite unhappy, espeially the cashiers.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:54 AM

25 posts, read 92,980 times
Absolutely miss Raley's excellent customer service already.

I've worked at a grocery store (Skaggs Alpha Beta) years ago, and I know that when the management is not treating the staff as human beings, it can't help but show via customer service.

Business can't have it's cake & eat it too... if you don't make you staff feel like they have value, then, it will always show up by the way the staff handles customers.

The few times I've been to Albertson's at Juan Tabo & Lomas, yes, it was apparent that the cashiers were not working under good treatment conditions.

Also, Raley's was union and Albertson's is not. Likely, treatment was much better in a union store.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:52 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,423,203 times
I visited the Albertson's (formerly Raley's) near where I live early Sunday morning and was greeted my favorite checker and assistant manager.

Looks like Albertson's was smart and retained most, if not all, of the Raley staff. Hope management treats the employees well.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:04 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
CuriousGirl postulated:

> ... it was apparent that the cashiers were not working under
> good treatment conditions.

> Also, Raley's was union and Albertson's is not.

Albertson's has a union. They are represented by
United Food and Commercial Workers Local 7.

> Likely, treatment was much better in a union store.

I don't think Whole Foods is union and I certainly don't have issues
with employees there. The same goes for many of the small groceries
around Albuquerque like the La Montanita Food Co Op.

I don't imagine that employees have a much better attitude due to there
being a union. If management wants to treat people poorly, they will
do so union rules or not. The union might mandate certain working
conditions, but the employee attitude will still suck if management sucks.

If a union makes for happy workers, check out the history of relations
between the UAW and the auto companies for the past 60-70 years.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:32 PM

150 posts, read 792,067 times
Default Albertsons Juan Tabo & Candelaria

I too was wondering what would happen when my Raley's changed names, but I've been pleased to see almost all, if not all the old faces are still there, including the Manager.

All the products are also in the same place they were before, so the only "changes" are the staff is now wearing blue rather than red, and the Raley's "Shurfine" store brand has been replaced by "Albertsons." It is too soon however, to see if the "Albertsons" store brand is of the same quality, generally speaking, as the "Shurfine" products.

Kudos though to Albertsons for an apparently "smooth" transition.

I know of previous changes in store buy-outs here, where the employees had their throats slit! I had a checker that had been working for the same supermarket chain for 32 years! The new store that took over, offered her 3/4the pay, and cut her benefits drastically.

Maybe we need to go back to a simpler, and nicer America, where "money" didn't rule people's lives. People did. Or is that a dream?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque