Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 03:57 PM

146 posts, read 325,891 times

Advertisements

It is time to buy the man cub his first car. Has anyone done business with a dealer in the area that they would recommend? We know we might get a better deal from a private seller, but my husband isn't comfortable buying a car from a stranger. We have had success with carmax in the past, but they don't have cars inexpensive enough for a 16 y/o's 1st car. thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 04:10 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
We have dealt with Credit Union Auto Services - Autoplex: Albuquerque, New Mexico with no pressure sales and also carmax.

Rich

Old 10-07-2011, 04:29 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,183,515 times
I'd try craigslist, only because you're not likely to find cheap cars at the aforementioned places. There are plenty of 10+ year old cars that are decent for $2k or thereabouts.

Will they fail? Possibly, but so could lots of 5-year-olds off the lot after their warranties expire.

You'll spend less to fix a 10-year-old (the right one), spend less to insure it, and kick yourself far less when and if junior bends its fenders.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:45 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,077 times
IMO Albuquerque car prices are a little on the high side. We purchased both our last two cars from dealers out of state which we found online.

The only car dealer I have had experience with in Albuquerque is Houston Wholesale, they have great service but as my statement above the prices are higher than buying out of state.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:22 AM

146 posts, read 325,891 times
We will look into those. Thanks for the responses! Of course, I trust you guys, so of you have a car to sell, PM me.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:46 PM

923 posts, read 2,419,556 times
I used to work for Credit Union Auto Services years and years ago when it first opened. Good people, but you can find a better deal on your own.

I have a friend who bought their 16 year-old a 2003 Toyota Prius for $3000 from American Toyota. Apparently there's a back lot of older but decent cars (trade-ins) that they don't put out in view because most of them get sold at the dealer auctions. The car had a few dings that they paid (included in the 3K price) to have fixed. The teen has had the car now for 8 months with no problems. I'm going to look there in a few months and see if they have a car for our soon-to-be teen driver.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:44 PM

1,369 posts, read 713,969 times
Use carfax or some other background history report... get teh car thoroughly checked out by an independent mechanic.
If I were buying an older car, I would prefer a private seller more than a dealer... most private sellers just want to sell their old car, the dealer wants to make a profit.
But, I suppose, you never know what you don't know...

Old 10-11-2011, 11:07 PM

713 posts, read 1,845,867 times
Stay away from independent used car dealers. Many vehicles are stolen, or grey market cars from Mexico which don't meet US emission standards. There are a few that have been around for awhile and are reputable, but the rest are fly by night and dangerous.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:32 AM

212 posts, read 538,874 times
Yeah I just got my 3rd used car here in NM. And I can definitely tell you that the pickins are slim. I just got my dream VW from a smaller dealer in Kansas, made the 2 hour flight and then 10 hour drive back, but I got the car I want at the price I want, and I'm very happy with it. I found that here in ABQ, because we are so land locked, and you have 4-500 miles to travel east, north, or west, to find any decent size city with alot of car inventory, the dealers here in ABQ could care less about you. They know some one else will come along and give them the inflated price they're looking for. "Go find a better deal, go hop on a plane if you want the right deal" is what they're thinking to themselves. You have to search on autotrader within 500 miles for the exact model that you're looking for. For me, it's been worth the travel to find that car I want. Don't get discouraged by these ABQ thug dealers. And also stay clear of Carmax, more thieves, the way Car-ripoffs should be...

Old 10-18-2011, 09:23 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
Stay away from independent used car dealers. Many vehicles are stolen, or grey market cars from Mexico which don't meet US emission standards. There are a few that have been around for awhile and are reputable, but the rest are fly by night and dangerous.
There are many independent car dealers that are reputable. Many of the large lots dealers would be considered Independent dealers also since they are owned by a single family/individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque