Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 09:07 AM

888 posts, read 1,189,282 times

Advertisements

My mother's family were blue-eyed, blond-haired German Jews.
You couldn't pick them out at an SS reunion if you tried?

I've been in New Mexico for almost 2 years now, and nary a sign of anti-semitism.
While I'm sure it DOES rear its ugly head from time-to-time.
It doesn't appear to be near as blatant as other places I've been around?

Steve

Old 10-18-2011, 09:24 AM

662 posts, read 1,454,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
My mother's family were blue-eyed, blond-haired German Jews.
You couldn't pick them out at an SS reunion if you tried?

I've been in New Mexico for almost 2 years now, and nary a sign of anti-semitism.
While I'm sure it DOES rear its ugly head from time-to-time.
It doesn't appear to be near as blatant as other places I've been around?

Steve
I am very happy to hear this!

Old 10-20-2011, 10:05 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,908,759 times
You are in a New Mexico forum of City-Data.

The Terms Of Service (TOS) which you agreed to when you registered states:
All posts unrelated to local matters will be deleted or moved. Threads dealing with controversial topics that often degenerate into flame wars, such as politics or religion, may be moved, closed, or deleted by moderators at their discretion without any warning to the participants.
Unless it deals directly with the original topic of this thread, please take it elsewhere. We have Religion and Philosophy forums here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/religion-philosophy/

Thank you in advance.

Rich

Old 10-21-2011, 09:01 AM

146 posts, read 326,529 times
nonexpat: I'm sorry you have experienced this. As evidenced in another thread I am a stickler for language that may be inflammatory. I just wanted to let you know that while I haven't heard these particular slurs in Abq, if I did, I would never let them go unaddressed. I call people out on that stuff whenever I hear it, and so do my children (of whom I am very proud). I hope more people will do so. Making it clear, consistently and respectfully, that such language is unacceptable "in good company," as my mother used to say, is the responsibility of us all. There are a lot of people who try very hard to right these wrongs so that our grandchildren never hear those words! I encourage you, and everyone else, to speak up when you hear remarks made against any large group of people such as described here.

Take care.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:33 AM

662 posts, read 1,454,321 times
Thank you Adamswest. We are also raising our kids in the same manner. In Plano, TX where my kids have grown up, we had a very multicultural school. Much respect was emphasized there for all ethnicities and religions. Not only were there many Jewish kids, but also Muslims, Buddhists and Hindus. Plano has many immigrants since there is a lot of high tech there. I loved this about that school.

I myself grew up in a small town in Wisconsin. Everyone there was northern European in background and either Lutheran or Catholic. I never even met an African American until I went to college.

I think Albuquerque is is much more multicultural than that!

Old 10-21-2011, 12:20 PM

146 posts, read 326,529 times
Yes, I think so too. On our cul de sac we have neighbors from Brussels, India, Japan, Greece, and Lima, Ohio. It's a real melting pot over here in the heights.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:35 PM

121 posts, read 300,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsWest View Post
Yes, I think so too. On our cul de sac we have neighbors from Brussels, India, Japan, Greece, and Lima, Ohio. It's a real melting pot over here in the heights.
When I lived in ABQ, all my neighbors were from CA or NM. You must live in the World District of ABQ cause I rarely even seen foreigners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque