Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 11:03 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,893,776 times

Advertisements

Road Warrior With D'Val Westphal Has a nice map and also various traffic news: ABQJournal Online » Road Warrior

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 11:18 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,204,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaAirmac View Post
Zoidberg hit it right on. I would add I-25 NB just north of the big-I up to the Commanche exit. There must be 6 lanes across at some points in this area, but for some reason no one knows how to deal with them.
About 25% of the problems with that stretch could be solved for <$1,000.

As you travel northbound, merging both directions of 40 traffic with the 25, there's a sneaky little area where after the Comanche exit, the right lane ends halfway to Montgomery.

It ends, not exit only, just haphazardly, without much visibility and with very little warning. Those in the know are either way to the left, trying to get there, or know it's coming. Unfortunately, there are plenty of drivers that don't know it's there. They start trying to get left. Most of the people in the lane next to them don't want to get out of the way because they want to exit at Montgomery/Montaño, which is at that point only 1/2 mile up the road.

Not here to point fingers at whatever cost-cutting or inept engineering caused them to lose a lane into nowhere rather than making an exit-only to the frontage road or to Montgomery, but am here to point out a very cheap and simple solution.

There is a good 1/4-1/2 mile of road south of that point where arrows pointing to the left, signs that say "lane ends", etc. could be but aren't. Whoever built the signage there only put a few hundred feet of warning in place, and this is warning that is on the far downhill side of a bridge, making it impossible to see until it's too late.

Most of the really bad traffic sections on interstates in this country can be blamed on things being old and outdated, built at times when the engineers who designed them just didn't know any better, or had no need to build them any bigger. This stretch of I-25 is a glaring exception to that, at only about 10 years old.

So, simple solution. Put in signage, and the truckers and out-of-towners don't end up jamming up the works as much.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:15 PM

372 posts, read 712,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
About 25% of the problems with that stretch could be solved for <$1,000.

As you travel northbound, merging both directions of 40 traffic with the 25, there's a sneaky little area where after the Comanche exit, the right lane ends halfway to Montgomery.

It ends, not exit only, just haphazardly, without much visibility and with very little warning. Those in the know are either way to the left, trying to get there, or know it's coming. Unfortunately, there are plenty of drivers that don't know it's there. They start trying to get left. Most of the people in the lane next to them don't want to get out of the way because they want to exit at Montgomery/Montaño, which is at that point only 1/2 mile up the road.

Not here to point fingers at whatever cost-cutting or inept engineering caused them to lose a lane into nowhere rather than making an exit-only to the frontage road or to Montgomery, but am here to point out a very cheap and simple solution.

There is a good 1/4-1/2 mile of road south of that point where arrows pointing to the left, signs that say "lane ends", etc. could be but aren't. Whoever built the signage there only put a few hundred feet of warning in place, and this is warning that is on the far downhill side of a bridge, making it impossible to see until it's too late.

Most of the really bad traffic sections on interstates in this country can be blamed on things being old and outdated, built at times when the engineers who designed them just didn't know any better, or had no need to build them any bigger. This stretch of I-25 is a glaring exception to that, at only about 10 years old.

So, simple solution. Put in signage, and the truckers and out-of-towners don't end up jamming up the works as much.
Then perhaps someone should say something. Not sure if directly getting the DOT gets anything done, but those that go through the Road Warrior's column seem to have good luck getting the state, city, etc. to fix easy issues like this one.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanrice View Post
Then perhaps someone should say something. Not sure if directly getting the DOT gets anything done, but those that go through the Road Warrior's column seem to have good luck getting the state, city, etc. to fix easy issues like this one.
Or you get an answer...

Rich

Old 10-23-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Or you get an answer...

Rich
I would expect an answer. What are you saying here?

Old 10-23-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanrice View Post
I would expect an answer. What are you saying here?
You seemed to have agreed that the solution is cheap (Less than $1,000), simple, and that it really will work. If someone does write into Road Warrior, and if the situation is discussed in the Road Warrior then you will get an answer. My batting average at getting something printed into the Road Warrior is only 0.333.

If we just flap our jaws here, the chances of the situation fix is reduced.

Rich

Old 10-23-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
You seemed to have agreed that the solution is cheap (Less than $1,000), simple, and that it really will work. If someone does write into Road Warrior, and if the situation is discussed in the Road Warrior then you will get an answer. My batting average at getting something printed into the Road Warrior is only 0.333.

If we just flap our jaws here, the chances of the situation fix is reduced.

Rich
I don't seem to do anything, you have assumed that I have agreed to something when I have not said I do. I actually neither agree nor disagree, I simply don't have the facts to do either one. What I did do was post my suggestion that someone broach the subject to the NMDOT or to the Road Warrior column in order to find out if it is something that could be done. As to flapping our jaws, I made what I think is a helpful suggestion. How is that flapping my jaw?

Old 10-23-2011, 08:02 PM

Never mind....

Old 10-24-2011, 09:11 AM

148 posts, read 280,312 times
So would it be fair to say that if a person works nights (7p-7a), and works in the area of UNM/VA Medical Center, and commutes from elsewhere (NE quadrant, Rio Rancho, etc), the commute would be fairly decent?

Old 10-24-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrob View Post
So would it be fair to say that if a person works nights (7p-7a), and works in the area of UNM/VA Medical Center, and commutes from elsewhere (NE quadrant, Rio Rancho, etc), the commute would be fairly decent?
At those hours, the commute would probably be better.

I use to periodically go from Rio Rancho to the UNM hospital or VA or Kirtland AFB, and going in reverse at 7am to 8am was easier.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque