Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 10:09 AM
N8! N8! started this thread

2,408 posts, read 5,310,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
Up in the mountains perhaps, in the valley, not so much.

Cold this morning.. Upper 40's in the canyon.
..and raining! Seems like the State Fair is a rain magnet.

My Backyard

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 12:33 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,403,274 times
There is no leaf peeper phenomenon per se, but there is plenty of advantageous leaf peeping by folks out to the mountains on a drive.

In my opinion, the best leaves in New Mexico are on the east face of the Manzanos (take NM 337 south to 55 towards Tajique and Torreon) because of the rare stands of Maple that grow there interspersed with Gambel Oak and Aspen. It is the closest thing to Northeast style color I have seen in New Mexico. I don't know how last year's forest fires have affected the area though.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:59 PM

62 posts, read 100,232 times
I actually read about the maples in one of the hikes listed in the book 60 hikes within 60 miles of ABQ. I was intending to do the hike while in the area, but wasn't aware it had been hit by fire.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:06 PM

Oh, and thanks for those mid October photos, Rich. Keeping hope alive for late October foliage!

And about that rain. . .yeah, it started the minute I booked my tickets!

Old 09-15-2012, 09:53 AM

5,056 posts, read 7,442,606 times
Here are some of my own photos....

September 28, maples in the Manzano Mountains:

October 3, aspens, Santa Fe ski basin road:

October 2, aspens, Sandia Mountains:

You can hope all you want, but by the end of October expect the mountain foliage to be brown. You still have a very good shot at lower elevation cottonwoods along the Rio Grande, Jemez, and Chama rivers.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:58 AM

Cottonwoods in Abuquiu, October 30:

Old 09-15-2012, 10:33 AM

Great pics, Aries. Being from the midwest, I find it SO interesting that there are maples in the Manzano mountains! I'm assuming this is the same "strand" as decribed in my hiking book (Fourth of July Canyon-Cerro Blanco hike). Even if I'm too late for the maples, I think I'll do the hike anyway. How fun to see pictures of what I've been reading about!

Old 09-15-2012, 12:55 PM

Another shot in the Manzanos, Sept. 28:

This one is at a pond near Tingley Beach in Albuquerque, the "quiet" side of the tracks where there are a couple of ponds, showing the cottonwoods, picture taken November 2:

I make a point of seeing fall colors in various locations around ABQ/Santa Fe every year. Several years I procrastinated, only to find the upper elevation colors were done even by the second week of October.

I was up in the Santa Fe ski basin last weekend to do some hiking and was saddened to see on the drive up there that lots of the aspens were brown already, apparently due to the abnormally dry conditions. It wasn't an early fall, they looked like they were dying off. Many had fallen over due to lack of moisture in the soil. Lots of dead and dying trees up there and in the Sandias.

Next picture from the Rio Grande coming into Albuquerque, dated November 6 (a canoe trip):

Old 09-15-2012, 05:08 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,178,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapingWI View Post
I find it SO interesting that there are maples in the Manzano mountains!
I know of one cluster of maples in the Sacramento Mtns. within walking distance of the business district in Cloudcroft. I suspect there also must be other clusters in that general area.

Speaking of aspens, I was surprised at the appearance of a grove of aspens where fires this past summer decimated the trees. Whereas other trees still standing were scorched black, the aspens were still an "ash" color - although totally scorched and totally dead. The aspens are the streak of white behind the foreground blackened fir and spruce in this photo montage.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:20 PM

More good pics! Yes, I imagine the "quality" of fall foliage varies greatly from year to year depending on the weather. We have droughted this year as well, so it remains to be seen if our fall colors here in WI will be as spectacular as usual. (Went for a long bike ride out in the country today, and while I saw Sandhill cranes, there wasn't any fall color yet.) Very sad about the dying aspens. The person I will be renting the house from in Cedar Crest indicated that a lot of leaves were turning brown from the drought, rather than turning colors with the season.

Joqua--Where are the fire pictures from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque