Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 05:08 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,731,024 times

Advertisements

Thanks once again guys. I liked what I saw on Magdalena. 6500 feet above sea level with greenery. Sharp contrast from Phoenix for sure.Certainly will research the other places mentioned as well in the coming days. You've given me a lot to check up on !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 07:00 PM

Seems Magdalena and Jemez Springs have quite a few sales online. Jemez Springs seems more expensive than I thought when looking at "bang for buck." Must be lovely there looking at the prices.

Having been through Gallup and Grants I was hoping there'd be decent options there.Gallup seems to have fewer options than Grants despite being a larger town. Go figure.

Grants and Magdalena seem most feasible at this point. Like the 6500 feet elevations for summer activities I won't be able to do in 110 degree heat in PHX.

I'm aware NE Arizona towns are similar like Eagar and Concho but like the New Mexican culture and politics better.

Arizona lets any Non-Felon have a firearm. Can that be carried into New Mexico ?

Old 10-26-2011, 07:42 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,188,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Arizona lets any Non-Felon have a firearm. Can that be carried into New Mexico ?
Felons are not supposed to have access to firearms, but that doesn't mean squat until they are caught by law enforcement for some reason, with a gun in their possession.

NM is an "open carry" state, meaning you can legally walk around with a pistol on your belt, as long as it's not concealed. Concealed weapons can be carried after obtaining a permit.

There is currently a big brouhaha over the village mayor in Ruidoso trying to prevent the open carry of firearms during village council meetings. His executive order was overturned by a subsequent vote of council members because of the firestorm of protest his order created. Not sure where this is going, but it's still an unsettled question as to whether the village (or any entity in the state) has the legal right to ban the carrying of firearms in public places.

Any attempt to change current state law will be a hugely contentious issue. Not unlike the current debate over issuing driver's licenses to illegal aliens who don't even live in the state!

Old 11-01-2011, 09:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,901,040 times
My wife and I are looking at places in NM to retire. We have already looked at the southwest and south central parts of the state. So far Socorro is the leading contender due to the University and local hospitals. We also liked San Antonio and Magdalena.

I suggest using City-Data city search. Enter New Mexico and choose New Mexico smaller cities. A lot of information is available.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:53 PM

108 posts, read 265,279 times
magnum 0417--you might like Glenwood. Great proximity to the Gila wilderness too.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:48 PM

Thanks for your feedback guys. I have researched Socorro a bit as well. It seems pretty brown being on the valley floor from what I found. Which doesn't seem to contrast that much from Phoenix. I know it's a high desert vegetation but still not enough contrast with the Junipers and PondeBullBoxer31 found above 6000 feet. Locationwise, it seems pretty good. Is there greenery in Socorro since my personal travels have been along I 40 ? Thanks.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:04 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,201,605 times
Quote:
Is there greenery in Socorro since my personal travels have been along I 40 ? Thanks.
Not natural, and not in winter. NM Tech has just about the greenest campus I've seen anywhere, and that's no small number of campuses I've been to.

Irrigation makes Socorro one of the greenest (in terms of grassy fields) places in NM.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:22 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,188,169 times
Quote:
It seems pretty brown being on the valley floor from what I found.
What greenery there is exists largely along the Rio Grande in those areas where it's flat enough to be irrigated by diversion from the river. Other than that, where there is enough well water available to satisfy someone's need for a green lawn, golf course, etc.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:33 PM

508 posts, read 1,088,937 times
If you are looking for places in NM with politics that don't follow the typical AZ line, again, I'd look into Jemez Springs, and Silver City a bit more...

Keep in mind that both Grants and Magdalena are amongst the more conservative areas of the state. Silver City too, at least the region, but the town itself attracts alot of artists and has a university presence, etc.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:36 PM

508 posts, read 1,088,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naport View Post
magnum 0417--you might like Glenwood. Great proximity to the Gila wilderness too.
The Glenwood area is beautiful, but it might be THE most conservative small town in all of New Mexico (along with Reserve).

Again, Silver City makes the most sense, really. You should check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque