Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2009, 02:25 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillon Mom
I think people who have lived here for a
long time just begin to think this is normal.
What's a long time?

I've lived here, basically, since 1985 ( with a gap ).
I came back on purpose. Is that long?

I do not think what you described is normal.
Nope. Not at all. It's not normal.
Count me as one of the people who don't think that.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:44 PM

508 posts, read 1,086,744 times
Papillon mom,

To be honest, I can't fathom how you feel ABQ is so unsafe. I live in an area south of UNM that most people think is one of ABQ's most unsafe. I've never felt at all worried. Here's the thing - paranoia about crime is rampant in our society - and to be fair, we do have higher rates of violent crime than almost all other developed countries. But in my experience, even in the most dangerous cities in the U.S. (and in the worst neighborhoods to boot) you'll likely be fine if you aren't looking for trouble.

To be so paranoid about crime in a city that doesn't have a very high violent crime rate, is a little absurd. If you are so worried, be proactive in your neighborhood association, get involved in some way. Don't just vent a silly rant on a webpage complaining that you can't wait to move away.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:47 PM

184 posts, read 805,056 times
We live in the NE Heights (near Tramway) and are really enjoying the beauty of the mountains and the serene living up here. No worries from our windows.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:07 PM

66 posts, read 330,577 times
I guess some of my worries comes from the stuff I have personally witnessed. My second year here one of my former students walked over to see me from his high school. On the way here he was jumped by some local gang members. He is 15 and alone they were in their 20's and there were 3 of them. They beat him so badly that by the time he got to our office we didn't even recognize him. When he told us his name I was shocked it was him. He ended up with fractures to the face, broken bones (ribs and an arm) and internal injuries. All because they didn't like the way he looked at them.

Then there are the times when we first moved in that people would come to our door asking for money. Usually I don't mind and just politely say no and shut the door. One night a guy thought I was home alone and when I went to shut the door he put his foot in the door then pushed it open. Said he wasn't leaving until I gave him something then actually stepped into my house. My husband came out of the office to see what was going on (he is a very big guy). When the guy saw him he took off.

Another time my husband and I were downtown and witnessed a woman get her purse snatched. The guy ran up besides her pushed her over and took her purse. A guy near by him chased him but lost him quickly. The woman was ok but shaken.

Oh yeah one of my favorites- a student of mine came in bleeding from the neck. He had been sliced and threatened at passing by another student who had a knife. He did not want to tell us who because the kid's father had threatened to kill him if he every told on his son for anything.

This are just a few of the many examples that stick out in my mind for why I do not feel safe here. Someone asked for opinions and that is what I am giving. So I am not just coming on here to complain I am giving my opinion. I wish someone had told me this stuff before we moved here.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:19 PM

36 posts, read 147,117 times
Papillon Mom,

Just curious.... as a person who's been thinking about moving (back) to NM....and possibly work for APS (for the first time)...

Which 4 other states have you lived before...?

Were you in education there as well...?

And which state(s) are you thinking about moving to...?

-Osmanthus

Old 11-13-2009, 03:30 PM

66 posts, read 330,577 times
Which 4 other states have you lived before...?
We have lived in Ca, AZ, NC and here

Were you in education there as well...?
I taught in both AZ and NC (middle school at both)

And which state(s) are you thinking about moving to...?
Moving to Austin, TX this summer for a grad program

I have never had problems in my schools like those I face here. These kids just don't care about anything and have no respect for the staff.

Hopefully if you come back you will enjoy it more than we have. Some people just love it (which I think is great) it is just not for us.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:58 PM

238 posts, read 634,691 times
Exclamation Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillon Mom View Post

I guess some of my worries comes from the stuff I have personally witnessed. My second year here one of my former students walked over to see me from his high school. On the way here he was jumped by some local gang members. He is 15 and alone they were in their 20's and there were 3 of them. They beat him so badly that by the time he got to our office we didn't even recognize him. When he told us his name I was shocked it was him. He ended up with fractures to the face, broken bones (ribs and an arm) and internal injuries. All because they didn't like the way he looked at them.

Then there are the times when we first moved in that people would come to our door asking for money. Usually I don't mind and just politely say no and shut the door. One night a guy thought I was home alone and when I went to shut the door he put his foot in the door then pushed it open. Said he wasn't leaving until I gave him something then actually stepped into my house. My husband came out of the office to see what was going on (he is a very big guy). When the guy saw him he took off.

Another time my husband and I were downtown and witnessed a woman get her purse snatched. The guy ran up besides her pushed her over and took her purse. A guy near by him chased him but lost him quickly. The woman was ok but shaken.

Oh yeah one of my favorites- a student of mine came in bleeding from the neck. He had been sliced and threatened at passing by another student who had a knife. He did not want to tell us who because the kid's father had threatened to kill him if he every told on his son for anything.

This are just a few of the many examples that stick out in my mind for why I do not feel safe here. Someone asked for opinions and that is what I am giving. So I am not just coming on here to complain I am giving my opinion. I wish someone had told me this stuff before we moved here.

Do you happen to teach at Grant? I went there for summer school back in the 80's. It was ghetto then and probably ghetto now. I had a teacher friend tell me about how students attacked him all the time. I was not really raised on the right side of the tracks, but I never was disrespectful to my teachers.

Sorry to read about this. People have no self respect these days. If they cannot even respect themselves, how does one expect them to respect others? APS is in a sorry, sad state. Yet another reason to choose a private school.

--BtK

Old 11-13-2009, 06:02 PM

801 posts, read 2,211,961 times
Papillon Mom...Considering your experiences, I think it would be good for your spirit to try another location. While we (my family) like a lot of things about ABQ, we are also bothered by the thug culture that abounds here. There is a common misconception that simply being street savvy will keep you out of trouble. While that may certainly lower the odds, it doesn't guarantee anything. We've had a couple of bad experiences here in the past 20 years, but it hasn't run us off yet. But...we also personally know people who have been shot, car-jacked or mugged. None of these people were looking for trouble. In the case of our friend who was shot, she was simply getting into her car after getting gasoline.

Austin's crime rate is higher than average, but a bit lower than ABQs. I hope your experiences are positive there

Old 11-13-2009, 06:24 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,934,399 times
Sometimes it seems that individuals are moving in parallel worlds in the same city. I think those who find Albuquerque basically safe shouldn't be so quick to doubt the experience of others (and especially those who work in the schools) who have been exposed to a lot of crime in one way or another.

I wonder how much goes unreported. I have been told about a recent murder in the UNM area (from someone who lives there) that, as of yesterday, I have not yet seen in the news. [Actually, now that I've done another search, I see that it was reported.]

Personally, the longer I live here (and it's been under two years), the more comfortable I am becoming in general and the less worried about crime.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:27 PM

36 posts, read 147,117 times
Papillon Mom,

Thanks for the response!

I always liked NM, but I am indeed concerned about "people coming to your door asking for money....and forcing their way into your house....", if that can happen anywhere in the city to anyone...

Were you living in a "safe(r)" area (i.e. NE area) in the city when that happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque