Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 11:02 PM

508 posts, read 1,088,683 times

Advertisements

I mostly agree - I think Central is already well-served by transit and won't see a great deal of improvement from BRT.

Zoidberg, I believe the Rio Metro Transit Authority (part of MRCOG) is considering a BRT line down Paseo from the westside, connecting to the Rail Runner at El Pueblo, and continuing east to Journal Center, etc. It's similar to the idea you mentioned, but is a different transit authority than ABQride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 12:16 AM

642 posts, read 1,115,651 times
Default Rapid Transit for ABQ

It looks like the city is making strides towards building the Rapid Bus Corridor on Central, but once that's done, what's next?

One time I was showing a friend from Texas a map of Albuquerque and he was surprised that for the size of the city, there was no interstate loop. While that may or may not in the cards for ABQ, I was thinking what could be interesting is a transit loop, for BRT, Light Rail, or whatever ends up replacing these. Along the entire loop there would be fewer stops with frequent pick-ups, designated lanes/tracks, signal priority, nice stops w/prepay, pedestrian and bike paths, etc.

The western half of the loop would pretty much be the current Rapid Ride Blue Line starting on Coors down to Ladera then taking I40 to Rio Grande then heading up Lomas. However, instead of it ending at the hospital, have it continue to go up Lomas, stop at Carlisle then up to San Mateo where it switches northbound until hitting Jefferson, then continuing north until Alemeda where it turns left heading back west to the origin at Cottonwood. Rio Rancho could have their own line that takes 528 into Cottonwood also. Montgomery and Wyoming would eventually get their corridors as well but that'd be further down the road.

This, of course, is assuming the city has interest in encouraging alternative means of transportation so it doesn't become another automobile congested super spread out city like some of our neighbors. It's not going to be cheap either way but should get a decent return on investment. Would be nice to see ABQ at pop. 2,000,000 be more built in and up rather than spread out thin over the West Mesa and beyond.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:12 PM

91 posts, read 142,285 times
A Bus Rapid Loop, is doubtful. I would see them running a real BRT down San Mateo, Coors, and Central. So more like a hub and spoke sort of thing. I also think that the city should seriously look at light rail. I have said it before many times. Problem is that we have so many that are against it, but I think if it was put up for vote, it would pass. ABQ at 2 million isn't a stretch, and will happen in my lifetime. Doubtful I will be here in ABQ, but the city should make more attempts at having a true mass transit system, and it seems like they are attempting to do that with the Central project.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:52 PM

508 posts, read 1,088,683 times
I like the idea of light rail too, but I would rather not start a discussion about that - I think the rapid bus line up Central is a good idea. Assuming it does well, I think we'll start to see similar lines on other major east-west streets and maybe some north-south routes like San Mateo or further east, Juan Tabo.

As for reaching 2 million, it won't happen very soon, and based on current trends, likely won't happen in your lifetime. That said it will continue to grow, and despite the fact that many think the city will keep growing west, much of that land is off limits - most of the space to grow is already planned out in Mesa Del Sol. I'd rather see the city start densifying sooner rather than later - if done right ABQ could return some vibrancy to many of the empty spaces, abandoned lots, etc dotting the city.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
As for reaching 2 million, it won't happen very soon, and based on current trends, likely won't happen in your lifetime. That said it will continue to grow, and despite the fact that many think the city will keep growing west, much of that land is off limits - most of the space to grow is already planned out in Mesa Del Sol. I'd rather see the city start densifying sooner rather than later - if done right ABQ could return some vibrancy to many of the empty spaces, abandoned lots, etc dotting the city.
I agree that there is a ton of potential infill growth that would greatly benefit the city. I also really hope there are some plans to connect MDS to the city via public transit before it's too late to be feasible.

I think it's pretty likely that ABQ's metro will reach 2 million within the next 30 years. In the 40-year stretch from 1970-2010 Phoenix's metro grew from 1 million to 4.2 million. Nobody in their right mind would want that kind of growth to happen here, but it just surprises me a little we haven't 'boomed' since it seems more hospitable here than in Phoenix. If Bill Gates hadn't moved Microsoft's headquarters from here to Seattle we'd probably be at at least 1.5 Million by now.

I just hope that in the not too distant future we have a good enough transit network so Albuquerque can be one of the few cities where you don't need a car, but I'm probably being too idealistic.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:35 PM

91 posts, read 142,285 times
Well I'm only 34, so yes in my lifetime ABQ will reach 2 million in the metro area. Meaning outlying surburbs, and not just the city. I also agree with abqpsychlist, that Phoenix exploded, and many didn't think that would happen. Most of the nations growth is the Southwest and the South. All the time you hear about folks either wanting to move here for personal reasons, or job transfers. I am a job transfer. Also not only did my family of 4 move here, but also I know of several more who were with my company that were relocated here from Indianapolis. So I think when the next census comes out many folks will be surprised. I do think that we will get a boom here due to the low cost of living, weather, and many other factors.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:45 AM

So here's what the loop (red line) would look like, along with a few other potential connecting rapid transit lines:

I figured something looking like this could provide decent coverage to most of the city.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:01 PM

1,720 posts, read 2,747,447 times
I actually find these routes to be more viable than the gondola network. I'm glad there would be a route that would serve the NW "suburbs" of Corrales and Rio Rancho.

It is interesting to note that probably in the next 20 years, urban Albuquerque will probably surpass several major cities in population including Denver, Boston, Baltimore, and others. A comprehensive transportation network should be implemented to sustain "smart growth."

Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 PM

Here's an updated version:

5 modifications:

-Extension of Menaul line (light green) to Central @ 2nd via Rio Grande
-New yellow 'loop' (Central/Juan Tabo/Academy/Osuna/2nd/Central)
-Extended pink line (RR 528/Alameda/Wyoming)
-N/S I25 express line (dark red)
-E/W I40 express line (dark blue)

Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 AM

Modifications #6 and #7:

-Consolidated both light green lines into a single green loop (Broadway/Gibson/S. San Mateo/E. Lomas/Tramway/Menaul/Rio Grande/Central/Broadway).

-Swapped colors for red and blue lines to more closely reflect current transit lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque