Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 08:02 AM

284 posts, read 499,619 times
Thanks! That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
My wife teaches developmental English at the community college (CNM -- Community College of Central NM) and loves it. The main campus is a little south of the University of NM in a sort of transitional area with the so-called student ghetto in between CNM and UNM -- focused on UNM. CNM also has campuses in other parts of town, so instructors there would benefit from having their own wheels, since the bus connections might not work for getting to some parts of town. (Sometimes instructors at CNM teach at multiple campuses, though ideally not having to go from one to another in the same day.) Nob Hill is a somewhat artsy, semi-urban area east of UNM along Central Ave. (Route 66) that you should check.

Downtown has much more of an entertainment scene than it did even as little as a decade ago. It's starting to emerge again as a place to live but still lacks some services. Huning Highlands is an interesting old neighborhood between downtown and UNM, with lots of interesting old houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 08:33 AM

25 posts, read 97,492 times
I disagree that you can't find anything in a safe, affordable neighborhood downtown.

I live downtown in a 850 sq ft 1b/1b apartment at 13th & Marquette (just west of downtown, east of Huning Highlands, north of Central) with washer/dryer hookups for $500/month. I have several friends that live in and around this area, as well, and some pay even less than I do.

It's a very nice apartment that is actually the entire second story of one of the older homes in the area, and it is very safe. I lived in the student ghetto area in college, as well as in the UNM North Campus area, and of the three, I like downtownthe best. As far as walkability, all will be about the same. We walk/bike to Lowe's grocery store at 12th and Lomas and, of course, downtown has plenty of restaurants and entertainment.

Nob Hill has about the same, though there isn't a grocery store nearby... there is a Walgreens on Central/Girard and at the time I lived there, there was a corner grocer near Indian School/Girard, but I'm not sure if it's still there.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhed831 View Post
I disagree that you can't find anything in a safe, affordable neighborhood downtown.

I live downtown in a 850 sq ft 1b/1b apartment at 13th & Marquette (just west of downtown, east of Huning Highlands, north of Central) with washer/dryer hookups for $500/month. I have several friends that live in and around this area, as well, and some pay even less than I do.
That sounds great... Affordability, of course, is in the eye of the beholder. I was paying nearly $900 a month for an apartment in Virginia Beach, and that was between jobs.

Anyway, it's good to know that there are affordable apts. downtown.

I'm thinking I may have to rent a motel room for a week or two when I get there find my way around the place. Does anyone know of a good/safe motel for this? I saw an ad for America's Best, but the reviews were mixed...

Old 11-21-2011, 02:31 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,407,431 times
Quote:
Nob Hill has about the same, though there isn't a grocery store nearby... there is a Walgreens on Central/Girard and at the time I lived there, there was a corner grocer near Indian School/Girard, but I'm not sure if it's still there.
Right in the center of Nob Hill is La Montanita Food Coop. The Grocery Emporium on Girard near Indian School closed down over a year ago. There is a Whole Foods at Carlisle and Indian School. A Smith's at Yale and Coal SE.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:56 PM

25 posts, read 97,492 times
Oh, I forgot about the co-op! I guess just because I never really went there.

As for the Smith's, I was thinking it closed down?! Or was that the one off Carlisle?

Old 11-21-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Oh, I forgot about the co-op! I guess just because I never really went there.

As for the Smith's, I was thinking it closed down?! Or was that the one off Carlisle?
Nope, both are still open. The Coop is the first place I ever shopped in ABQ, 22 years ago. It started in 1976.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:16 PM

372 posts, read 711,683 times
Quote:
Yes, it was the Carlisle/Menaul store that closed down.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanrice View Post
Yes, it was the Carlisle/Menaul store that closed down.
Oh... we're getting farther and farther from downtown. The one on Carlisle and Constitution is still open.

The Coop in Nob Hill (Carlisle/Central) is convenient because the RapidRide bus stops nearby.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:03 AM

It sounds like the bus system is pretty good as long as one is near a stop/ transfer. But that's true of most major metro areas. The map I saw of the rail system looks as though it goes to other towns in the area, so it seems that one is not "stuck" in ABQ on the weekend if they don't have a car...

Old 11-22-2011, 11:59 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wscottling View Post
It sounds like the bus system is pretty good as long as one is near a stop/ transfer. But that's true of most major metro areas. The map I saw of the rail system looks as though it goes to other towns in the area, so it seems that one is not "stuck" in ABQ on the weekend if they don't have a car...
Yes. It goes through other towns though the only one that has public transit from the bus stations is Santa Fe. Which is nice. You can take the train to Santa Fe mull around then come home. Nice few hour getaway from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque