Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 02:43 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times

Advertisements

I am going to visit Albuquerque for 1 day in March. I want to stay downtown, but where exactly it is because I can't find it on Google street view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 02:59 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Just type in "87102" for a pretty good pin drop and boundary.

The further you get from the pin, the less I'd call it downtown.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:34 PM

8 posts, read 23,400 times
Go to Central and Second St. South West. Look west on Central and you have the starting of downtown. I lived in Albuquerque for 33 years.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:29 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
City map from the City of Albuquerque for "Downtown":

Or you can get the original as PDF: http://data.cabq.gov/community/neigh...f/DOWNTOWN.pdf

Old 01-18-2014, 05:20 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
City map from the City of Albuquerque for "Downtown":

Or you can get the original as PDF: http://data.cabq.gov/community/neigh...f/DOWNTOWN.pdf
That's not really downtown, despite what the city map calls it. I don't think there's a single building in that swath that's taller than 3 stories. I also don't think there's a single hotel in there.

The area that's really downtown on that map is "Notify Downtown List" and points south of it.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:49 PM

89 posts, read 270,572 times
If you are in google maps, the easiest general description would be to find the Big I (the intersection of Interstates 25 & 40), its basically south and west of that location by a couple miles.

If you start zooming into that area, you'll see central and 2nd (or 4th) and that's basically the DT area. Pretty small DT area for a city of this size.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:22 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,852 times
That area identified as Downtown on the map provided is actually the Downtown Neighborhood (an area of mostly historic residences, some dating to the 1880s), which is distinct from the downtown area of Albuquerque. It's also known as the Fourth Ward Historic District. Fourth Ward sounds like the name of an area in a hospital or an insane asylum, so I think that's why the name was officially changed to Downtown Neighborhood.

Downtown Albuquerque is located west of the BNSF railroad tracks, east of 6th Street, north of Coal Avenue and south of Marble Avenue. Those are the generally accepted and easily identifiable boundaries of the majority of Downtown Albuquerque. You of course have adjacent areas that are sometimes referred to as downtown and which many do consider downtown such as the area east of the BNSF tracks and west of Broadway, and the area around 8th Street and Silver Avenue. Then you have the area known as EDo (East Downtown) which runs east of Broadway to I-25 along Central Avenue.

A quick way to find the heart of Albuquerque is to find the place where the city's four quadrants meet and that is at the BNSF railroad tracks and Central Avenue. This is the area where a new town site was laid out in the 1880s when the Santa Fe railroad first laid its tracks through the Rio Grande Valley. This new town was separate from the original settlement known as Albuquerque, but still carried the name. It was referred to as New Albuquerque or New Town for a while and eventually overtook the old town in prominence and thus generally came to be known simply as Albuquerque. The old settlement, which dates to 1706, came to be known only as Old Town. Today Old Town is merely an area of the City of Albuquerque (it was annexed in 1949) and that new town created in the 1880s is now known as Downtown Albuquerque.

The city's old ward system was the precursor to the quadrants used today. The 1st Ward was the area of the city northeast of Central Avenue and the railroad tracks, the 2nd Ward the area to southeast, the 3rd Ward the area to the southwest and the 4th Ward the area to the northwest (hence the name 4th Ward Historic District).

All addresses in the city will have the quadrant initials included (NE, SE, NW, SW). So an address of say 5301 Central Avenue NE means that it is 53 blocks east of the railroad tracks and on the north side of Central Avenue, since it is the north-south dividing line.

Here is a satellite map on Google centered on the point where the quadrants meet:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Downt...ew+Mexico&z=15

And here it is zoomed in a bit to show more clearly where the downtown area is:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Downt...ew+Mexico&z=16

It's somewhat centered on Civic Plaza, which is where City Hall is located. But the actual center or heart of Downtown is usually considered to be at 4th St. and Central Ave. This is the only place in the country where Route 66 intersected itself. The way that happened is that the original alignment of Route 66 had it going north-south through Albuquerque along 4th Street. It was changed in 1937 to an east-west route along Central Avenue.

Here is a map showing both of the alignments through town (Route 66 in red where it doesn't follow modern-day I-40 or other highways still in use):

https://www.google.com/search?q=rout...ml%3B450%3B294

Old 01-18-2014, 07:32 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
This brochure also shows maps for various areas including "Downtown":

Select "downtown", "oldtown. "nob hill" etc in the drop-down selector:

Map of Albuquerque - Albuquerque area maps - Albuquerque maps

Old 01-19-2014, 06:08 PM

5,040 posts, read 7,417,088 times
If I had one day in ABQ I wouldn't stay downtown, I would stay closer to Old Town which is more interesting. It was the "original downtown" and is about 1/2 mile west of the new downtown that was established when the railroad came through. You might look into Hotel Albuquerque, you can walk to Old Town attractions and restaurants from there.

If you have to stay downtown for some reason, try Hotel Andaluz.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:45 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
There is no specific reason to stay downtown. What is the best place in Albuquerque where people go out and also a place for taking nice photos?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque