Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 07:29 AM

662 posts, read 1,452,191 times

Advertisements

I just moved here from Texas. Even in Austin the local news made a big deal about winterizing your home. Perhaps I missed this on the local news here, but what should I do about our outdoor faucets? Do we turn off the water to them, put covers on them? What else do you do winterize your home in ABQ? It's a lot colder here than down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 08:01 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,822,109 times
Normally on newer houses (1990 and newer at least) outdoor faucets are the freeze proof type (set deeper inside the wall). I would disconnect hoses to them or if not make sure you don't have water trapped in them.

Rich

Old 12-06-2011, 09:21 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,066,365 times
Rich is correct. Newer homes use freeze proof faucets and/or spigots. If you are unsure or have an older home you can use one of these.

Standard Faucet Cover-1950 at The Home Depot

For more winterizing ideas...

Winter Energy Saving Tips | Ways to Save on Your Utility Bill | Lower Heating Bill | PNM

Old 12-08-2011, 01:55 PM

265 posts, read 809,762 times
Although our house was built in 2002, our outdoor faucets are definitely not freeze-proof. Really annoying, as one in particular began to freeze even before the temps went so low this past week. The styrofoam faucet cover didn't seem to be helping, so I opened it a tad to drip, and the drips froze too ... in the pipe, and inside the faucet cover, which is now frozen to the wall! Sheesh.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:12 AM

1,369 posts, read 716,500 times
Besides a cover, you can wrap outside taps in insulating material (terry towels, even) so that the heat escaping through the wall/metal is trapped by the insulation. Then, put a cover over that.
Of course, you can put a layer of plastic film over your windows if they are not double glazed.
Put something in front of the gap under your front door to block the draft and make sure the caulking around your windows is tight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: