Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2011, 06:48 PM

2,253 posts, read 7,005,522 times

Advertisements

'The refusal by APD leadership to discipline officers (none of the officers involved in any of the shootings has been removed from the force), and the refusal of Mayor Richard Berry to seek an independent, outside investigation by the Department of Justice (The Albuquerque City Council voted in August to request the investigation but Berry remains intransigent in his support for the troops), suggests that what's developing in Albuquerque is a frightening return to the extrajudicial police shootings that turned 1970s Albuquerque into a killing field.' [1]

Having lived in Albuquerque, I can attest that it can be a fine and pleasant place. In having lived for a time just off Central Avenue in a less than great part of town, that one can do so without incident. Although noting sometime later that a resident in that complex was disturbed by gunshots through the ceiling. Or perhaps up from the floor below, I forget which.

But perhaps I overlooked a few things. Something catching my attention was mention recently made on this forum by someone saying they were more afraid of the police than criminals. Really? In looking into this a little further I discovered what any ABQ resident surely already understands: that if with certain charms, that ABQ is not exactly the safest place around. But that such an unfortunate aspect not always helped by the APD. In fact, sometimes not at all.

I was surprised to find one long list of transgressions running from 1980 through 2007, including unconstitutional surveillance, robbery, assault, murder, etc., all committed by police, often APD.[2] No idea on the veracity of the incidents mentioned. And since APD Chief Ray Schultz has recently vowed to win the public's confidence back, one might hope resolved.[3] However recent events, such as Detective Jim Dwyer terming himself a "oxygen thief removal technician," and Officer Trey Economidy listing his occupation as "human waste disposal," might give one pause. Possibly not the type of fellows one would want to meet in a dark alley, or indeed having work as officers of the law.[4]

True, Chief Schultz has had a career with the APD since 1982, but in having retired in 2003, only back on the job as chief since 2005 when then Mayor Martin Chavez asked him to assume the position. So perhaps straightening out the APD is taking a little longer than anticipated. All the more as the APD are dealing with a city not always as tranquil as it might be.

But still . . .

1) 'The Return of the Albuquerque Death Squads: Police War on the Poor,' El Grito
The Return of the Albuquerque Death Squads: Police War on the Poor | El Grito (http://www.elgritonm.org/elgrito/return-albuquerque-death-squads-police-war-poor - broken link)

2) 'New Mexico Citizens Live In Fear Of Their Police,' Real Crime
NEW MEXICO CITIZENS LIVE IN FEAR OF THEIR POLICE

3) 'Police officials finally step up and say enough,' XD.com
Police officials finally step up and say enough - XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

4) 'Tweet lands APD officer desk duty,' Kasa2
Tweet lands APD officer desk duty | Albuquerque, N.M. | KRQE News 13
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 11:38 PM

295 posts, read 593,528 times
Get over it, they protect you. That is all there is to it.
Someone breaks into your home, these are the ONLY people that are going to come and actually do something. I never have once complained about APD. Why? they do their job just fine.

The majority of the complainers should put a sock in it, or join the force. Maybe they can do better, that is if they have the guts to go near areas of the South Valley or the war zone on nights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: