Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 02:02 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,631,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
... His parting words were, "There isn't anything here." And I agree. It probably makes a difference if you've lived most of your life in a big city or in a small city. ABQ is a very small city in many ways. I don't want to spend the rest of my life eating bad food, drinking alcohol, hiking skiing, go to a movie. There isn't anything else to do here. ...
What would you like to be doing in Albuquerque that you can't do here now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 08:17 AM

5,046 posts, read 7,432,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
Whenever my Bay Area friends come out for a visit and I mention that I might return there some day, they say something like, "Are you crazy? Do you like horrendous traffic, overpriced housing, high taxes, and expensive restaurant fare?"
My last time in San Francisco I was surprised at how inexpensive restaurant prices were compared to Albuquerque. Similar kinds of meals were significantly cheaper in SF. We guessed it was because the produce doesn't need to be shipped so far. But the rest of this I agree with!

In five years' time I will be retired, and I'm still trying to decide where I will be after that. I haven't ruled out staying put but I'm still researching other options.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:29 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,385,785 times
Restaurant prices in Albuquerque are catching up.

Last week I had a meal at a nice Italian restaurant in NYC, Veal Sorrentino with a salad and a glass of wine was $20.

Earlier today I had a meal at the Frontier, Cheese enchiladas, a soft taco and a large soda was $14.

Although the Frontier meal was delicious, considering the relative values and experience, I feel like the Frontier is a rip-off in comparison.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:06 PM

78 posts, read 196,287 times
For myself, the answer is 'highly unlikely.' I moved here 7 months ago for family and economic reasons, and as it is 'highly likely' those issues will be resolved in 5 years, I can't forsee anything that would keep me here once those things have worked out. Albq. isn't bad but is not my favorite place I've lived either.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:40 PM

10,756 posts, read 23,855,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
After seeing the luminarias around town tonight and eating tamales that you'll only find here (my mom's) I'd have to say that you couldn't drag me out of Albuquerque if you tried. Albuquerque is a special place. I don't care what anybody from anywhere else thinks of this city and whether or not it's "cultured" or some other stupid stuff like that. (Nevermind that Albuquerque actually has more real culture than any lame snob could ever pretend to have). I love Albuquerque. And everybody I love and care about is here. It's been my home all my life. I've seen it change for the better in the time I've been alive. And it's going to continue to get better here as the days and years go by. I'm very confident of that.

So.. Very likely.
I absolutely love this uplifting, optimistic, and good spirited response. Happy New Year and Cheers! See you all in Albuquerque in 2012!

Old 01-01-2012, 01:33 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,204,174 times
I remember being in Albuquerque when it was 10 degrees F, and it was much easier to take than DFW at 25 degrees F usually is.

In 5 years, I hope I'm either living in NM or Baja NM (Trans-Pecos TX)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque