Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:53 PM

4,861 posts, read 4,794,690 times

Advertisements

There are several small areas in the NE and far NE Heights that are unincorporated areas of the county (most hemmed by the city, not unlike the checker board part of the Navajo Rez) but have an ABQ mailing address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 06:55 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
There are several small areas in the NE and far NE Heights that are unincorporated areas of the county (most hemmed by the city, not unlike the checker board part of the Navajo Rez) but have an ABQ mailing address.
Also, the North Valley (somtimes shown as Alameda on maps) is also unincorporated but also uses Albuquerque mailing addresses.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:07 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
This is not actually unheard of in many unincorporated communities. The South Valley is not part of the City of Albuquerque, it is an unincorporated area of Bernallilo County.

yes I know that, but if you are going to mail something to someone in the South Valley, their address will have Albuquerque in it and not South Valley, BUT, to me, the South Valley just feels like Albuquerque, just like the SE section, or the Westside, or the NE Heights.

and I know that it is unincorporated.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:09 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,720 times
South Valley is a CDP.... it can be the CDP of Albuquerque.

But a Suburb is this:

Old 08-10-2010, 07:51 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,814 times
Now I see..

She said ABQ is written on letters to there... which had me confused.

But now I see.

So it's not part of ABQ right? and at the same time not a suburb?
If those people where to suddenly move from SV all together then ABQ's population would not be affected at all?

Old 08-10-2010, 07:53 PM

581 posts, read 1,171,955 times
No, thats what newer suburbs look like. Older suburbs blend into the city much more. For example, the DC area. Alexandria, Arlington, Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Potomac, Takoma Park, all older suburbs that have their own feel, but they are still clearly suburbs of DC.

The first time i drove through Corrales, I thought that it kinda reminded me of ABQ's version of Potomac or Great Falls.

Im new here, but i always thought the South Valley was a section of Albuquerque.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:05 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,748,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
The first time i drove through Corrales, I thought that it kinda reminded me of ABQ's version of Potomac or Great Falls.

Im new here, but i always thought the South Valley was a section of Albuquerque.
The city limits do include the northernmost portion, but common usage refers to the areas
south of the ABQ limits. Personally, I'd wrap all the area from the city limits down to RT 60
into "the south valley" even though there are incorporated towns and pueblos, (Belen, Los
Lunas, Isletta), in that.

It's a flexible term.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:39 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,723,847 times
South Valley would fit the Webster's definition of a suburb.

Suburb - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Old 08-11-2010, 12:27 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
I don't get how you guys not consider a town near a big city a suburb.
Who said we did?

Quote:
a
: an outlying part of a city or town
b : a smaller community adjacent to or within commuting distance of a city
c plural : the residential area on the outskirts of a city or large town
These could be considered a suburb.
Belen
Bosque Farms
Corrales
East Mountains
Los Lunas
Los Ranchos de Albuquerque
NortheastHeights
NorthValley
Placitas
Rio Rancho
Southeast Heights
South Valley
Tijeras
West Side
The term Suburb appears to me to be a term used more in some parts of the country and not so much from many who grew up in this area...

Rich

Old 08-12-2010, 09:44 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
How about "Bedroom Community?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque