Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2007, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 9,113 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the NYC area for 25 years and am considering a possible move to Albuquerque. I can't afford New York anymore and I suffer from asthma. I thought that a move to the Southwest might be the answer.

I am used to living/working in old factories and lofts. I don't need cute. I definitely don't want yuppie. I have fixed up several raw spaces to live/work in. I'm looking for something cheap to rent and not to buy.

Typically, around NYC there are areas that the artists live/work in, i.e., Williamsburg Brooklyn, Soho, Tribeca, East Village, etc.

Are there areas of ABQ that typically attract the artist? If so, where? I don't have a car so I'm not too interested in anything out of town or away from public transportation but I'd love to hear all suggestions anyway. Maybe there is a car in my future.

I work for myself full time.

Thanks for any and all feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 07:46 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Hey flake_white,

Albuquerque is pretty small but has a pretty vibrant art scene. I would recommend looking into Downtown (between 1st and 8th centered on Central Ave.), Edo (East of Downtown AKA Huning Highlands), and the UNM/Nob Hill area. Most other areas will be like Betty Crockersville to you, I suspect.

These areas are more avant-garde and cosmopolitan regarding the types of art I see around. This scene gets considerable input and cross reference from the UNM art scene (and a lot of it tends to be 3-D so you see people's yards filled with some interesting stuff).

If you are into "southwest" art you might be interested in the Corrales scene which is a bit older and and more representative of the landscapes-***-Georgia O'Keefe-***-bronze cast of a Native-American-woman-on-a-horse-holding-a-clay-pot-of-water-while-the-moon-shines-and-the-coyote-howls cliche.

<edit> the censored words above are the Latin word "c u m". Yet another blow to Classical education. Wait a sec, can I say "blow"? </edit>

Regarding cars: I live car-free in the UNM area. I have groceries, laundromat, independant coffeeshops, lots of ethnic food, fine-arts performance spaces, theatres, interesting shops, half a dozen tattoo parlors, a couple of head-shops, a couple of good brewpubs, friendly neighbors, and parks within a few blocks of my house.

With the exception of out-of-town destinations (including Coralles) none of the neighborhoods I listed above will require more than a bike. In fact, they form a contiguous strip of what passes for coolness in Albuquerque and they are all linked by Rapid-Ride (bus).

If you live almost anywhere else in Albuquerque you will certainly need a car unless you are a dedicated bicyclist or have a Scooter. There are a coupke of Scooter shops in town so that is an option.
For more info on the local scen check out the online version of the weekly alternative: alibi . august 30 - september 5, 2007

ABQConvict

Old 09-02-2007, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 9,113 times
This is GREAT information and exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so very much.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:00 AM

96 posts, read 410,212 times
Default ABQarts

check out also

ABQ Arts: http://www.abqarts.com/
(sign up for the email art news supplement at http://www.abqarts.com/e-news.htm (broken link))

also see their Artscrawl page and e-lists
http://www.abqarts.com/artscrawl.htm (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque