Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 07:20 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,077,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitimbo View Post
You're right, I stand corrected. LA Metro is 15 times the size of ABQ so obviously they have more bank robberies. What I can say is that when I lived in LA the bank robberies that did happen were mostly far from where I lived (and I lived in Echo Park, very centralized and far from the nicest area in town). Here in ABQ I live in a centralized, nice neighborhood (Nob Hill area) and many of these robberies are happening at banks in and surrounding my neighborhood.
A quick search shows that their has definitely been bank robberies in and around the Echo Park area. Not to mention a slew of other problems with the Echo Park area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 11:07 PM

44 posts, read 90,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
A quick search shows that their has definitely been bank robberies in and around the Echo Park area. Not to mention a slew of other problems with the Echo Park area.
What's your point? Still, the per capita rate of bank robberies in LA is much lower than the per capita in ABQ. ABQ has a huge problem with crime, yeah there's been improvement recently but much more still needs to be done. ABQ is a beautiful city that has a lot to offer, it's a shame these avoidable problems blemish it's reputation and living conditions.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:41 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,959,019 times
How primitive. I thought banks were robbed by executives using the stock option system or by computer hackers rewriting a few pieces of code and siphoning off millions in a couple of days.

Based on this thread the problem seems to be localized and is now a police problem.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:18 AM

5,071 posts, read 7,496,873 times
I thought it was a rite of passage. Drop out of school, get your first DWI, find out "this baby might be yours," and rob a bank. Makes sense to me.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
What's your point?
My point is that you made a claim that there were no bank robberies in the Echo Park area. Which is completely false. You've also made a couple of other statements in this thread that were false also.
[/quote]

Old 01-13-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
My point is that you made a claim that there were no bank robberies in the Echo Park area. Which is completely false. You've also made a couple of other statements in this thread that were false also.
I never said there were "no bank robberies in Echo Park EVER". The 4 years I lived in Echo Park there weren't any to my knowledge. I don't understand why people get so defensive on this forum. If you can't admit there's a problem nothing will ever get fixed. ABQ has a big problem with DWI and Crime when compared to other cities. I love ABQ, I just feel it can do better.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I never said there were "no bank robberies in Echo Park EVER". The 4 years I lived in Echo Park there weren't any to my knowledge. I don't understand why people get so defensive on this forum. If you can't admit there's a problem nothing will ever get fixed. I love ABQ, I just feel it can do better.
You certainly insinuated it.

Quote:
What I can say is that when I lived in LA the bank robberies that did happen were mostly far from where I lived (and I lived in Echo Park, very centralized and far from the nicest area in town).

Old 01-13-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
You certainly insinuated it.
Not really. Regardless, ABQ metro has around 4 times the amount of bank robberies per capita when compared to LA metro. That's a huge problem, if you disagree you're part of the problem.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Not really. Regardless, ABQ metro has around 4 times the amount of bank robberies per capita when compared to LA metro. That's a huge problem, if you disagree you're part of the problem.
Now I'm the problem? I just really hate statements of fact that are completely false.

I never opined on whether bank robberies were a major problem. Just posted on your statement that Echo Park didn't have any bank robberies. I am very familiar with the Echo Park area. I was raised in Montebello and had many friends and family that lived in the Echo Park area. Spent A LOT of time in Echo Park. Loved eating and Thommy's on the other side of the freeway and at Barragan's.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:08 AM

5,071 posts, read 7,496,873 times
I agree that bank robberies here are very common compared to other cities. Yet in 22 years in ABQ I have never witnessed a robbery or committed one myself. Life goes on. I wouldn't know there were any bank robberies at all if I didn't see the news.

Wikipedia states that in the US, only about 2% of bank robberies result in injury, and less than 1% result in a death. Most robberies occur without other customers in the building knowing about them. The perps usually make away with a small amount of cash. Maybe it is cheaper to put up with the occasional "note job" than to hire a security firm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque