Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:45 AM

461 posts, read 923,214 times

Advertisements

I expect to be starting a job where I work remotely, so I can live anywhere as long as it is in the USA. I have decided on ABQ after visiting and having it feel a lot more like home than my current home does. I love the Southwest, the city's uniqueness, how the city and the wilderness are so close together, etc. I could go on forever.

Anyways, I'm going to be moving a down about one month after I start the job and wanted somewhere temporary (an apartment) to scout the area later for a permanent home. I love hiking and biking, but also love the city for local food places, films, places to meet people. I would need a one bedroom for $1500 or less, but would prefer a bit less than that to have more money for other things, ha.

I'd like to be in a secure place, as I will be gone for three week periods at a time to different states for work, but someplace I can really get into the culture and still not have too long a drive off to the trails and away from city life. I am basically a contradiction when it comes to this, and I think ABQ allows for this, which is why I have chosen it.

I should add that it can be anywhere as long as I can get to the Sunport, as I won't be working locally (well only if there's a catastrophe here, but let's hope not).

Thanks.

Last edited by ben242000; 02-08-2012 at 08:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 09:35 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,874 times
I would look for a condo downtown.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:13 PM

5,045 posts, read 7,421,895 times
I think you made a good choice coming to Albuquerque! Extra points for knowing that we're part of the USA.

Most of the nearby wilderness recreation is in the Sandias. How long a drive is "too long" for you to get there?

What kind of biking do you do? Do you want to mountain bike in the foothills or ride the paved bike trails in the city?

Your budget for apartment rental is more than enough for a one-bedroom in any part of town, so the choices are wide open. IMHO, the more money you spend on rent, the more insulated you may feel from the local culture, if that matters. Do you want a big, multi-story complex or smaller community? Do you care if it is newer or older?

Old 02-09-2012, 07:29 AM

461 posts, read 923,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I think you made a good choice coming to Albuquerque! Extra points for knowing that we're part of the USA.

Most of the nearby wilderness recreation is in the Sandias. How long a drive is "too long" for you to get there?

What kind of biking do you do? Do you want to mountain bike in the foothills or ride the paved bike trails in the city?

Your budget for apartment rental is more than enough for a one-bedroom in any part of town, so the choices are wide open. IMHO, the more money you spend on rent, the more insulated you may feel from the local culture, if that matters. Do you want a big, multi-story complex or smaller community? Do you care if it is newer or older?
Thanks for the response! I actually love driving places, especially in NM, but I guess i'd like to live within 15-20 minutes if possible, I'm not too picky.

I bike along trails/roads here. We have a long trail that is part wilderness area/part roads, so I have one of those hybrid bikes. In NM I'd probably be biking more outside of the city.

I don't really want a fancy apt, I just need something to come home to. I just want it to be in a good area. I want to be a part of the culture, so if there are certain parts of town suited to this, I'd like to be there. I don't care about the age, but I'd prefer a smaller community to a big, multi-story deal.

And I'm 25, I know age can figure in to certain areas, but I tend to hang out with people older than me.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:58 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,063,045 times
Maybe look at something in the Old Town/Downtown areas. There is Bike Blvd that follows along Silver then cuts over to Mountain Road linking up with the Bosque Biking/Walking Trail.

Bicycle Boulevard Unveiled — City of Albuquerque

Bike Path Map - GIS - City of Albuquerque

Biking in Albuquerque — City of Albuquerque

Old 02-09-2012, 10:02 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben242000 View Post
I bike along trails/roads here. We have a long trail that is part wilderness area/part roads, so I have one of those hybrid bikes. In NM I'd probably be biking more outside of the city.
Albuquerque has over 400 miles of bike paths, trails routes etc. Enjoy!:
Bike Map — City of Albuquerque
Bike Paths in Open Space (http://www.cabq.gov/openspace/BikePathsinOpenSpace.html - broken link)

Rich

Old 02-09-2012, 11:34 AM

Just be aware of the risks. It's great that we have 400 miles of bike trails and routes, but remember we have thousands of drivers who don't watch out for cyclists on the road. This is more of a car culture than you may be used to. Think high visibility and defensive biking. And outside the city the speed limits are high which presents another risk to cyclists. You may have seen some of our ghost bikes on the roads. Personally I don't like to bike out through Tijeras Canyon on Old Route 66 anymore, the speed limit is 55 and if a driver is texting, eating, drinking, or blinking and doesn't see you, you're through. I stick to dedicated bike trails and residential streets where automobile traffic is minimal.

To get within 15-20 minutes of the foothills recreation areas (you may want to drive to the other side of the Sandias in warmer months to hike on the cool side) you should look on the east half of town. Maybe around Uptown or north and east of there. There are some older, smaller apartment complexes scattered around. But since you're looking for a temporary arrangement you might not mind one of the bigger, newer complexes around the Academy/Eubank area (like Mountain Run or La Mirage), or even off of Tramway (like Broadstone High Desert or Allegro at Tanoan). These are a bit removed from the livelier parts of town but it can take more work to locate apartments closer to Nob Hill/UNM/downtown where you will be competing with college students. So it may just be easier to deal with a bigger complex farther from the hubs of activity and closer to your recreation if they don't require more than a 6-mo. lease, and they may provide a better sense of security since you say you'll be away a lot.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:56 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,063,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Think high visibility and defensive biking.
As someone who doesn't bike anymore due to a car/bike accident leaving me unable to do long rides any longer. I would hope the above is being performed by all cyclists in all cities, towns and villages all the time.

Last edited by NMHacker; 02-09-2012 at 12:10 PM..

Old 02-09-2012, 06:47 PM

72 posts, read 126,481 times
Bike awareness has improved tremendously over the last 15 years. I had a friend that lived in ABQ back then and said he regularly had beer bottles thrown at him while riding and occasionally had people try to run him off the road. ABQ has come a long way since then, but texting while driving is a new addition to the mix, so avoiding busy streets is definitely advised.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
As someone who doesn't bike anymore due to a car/bike accident leaving me unable to do long rides any longer. I would hope the above is being performed by all cyclists in all cities, towns and villages all the time.
Far from it... we still have lots of cyclists in dark clothes, without lights at night, but I think I have noticed an increase in riders using reflective gear (jackets/vests) and night lamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Tirebiter View Post
Bike awareness has improved tremendously over the last 15 years. I had a friend that lived in ABQ back then and said he regularly had beer bottles thrown at him while riding and occasionally had people try to run him off the road. ABQ has come a long way since then, but texting while driving is a new addition to the mix, so avoiding busy streets is definitely advised.
Hmmm, I've been riding here for 22 years and never had a bottle thrown at me, but haven't noticed an improvement in driver behavior either, many don't adhere to the 5-foot rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque