Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 09:25 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,596,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Sandia means melon in Spanish, from that melon orange color. That peak is at 10,000 with a ski slope on the East slope. We don't get that much snow on the ground in ABQ. There are some nice trails in the area, the worlds longest tramway to the top and two restaurants up there: This is one of two of the Tramway cars:

Photo's of Sandiago's Mexican Grill at the Tram, Sandia Peak, New Mexico. This restaurant is located at the base of the Tram:

There's not that many of us...

I will wager you three beers at Turtle Mountain Brew Pub that you can't provide a valid link to verify that 7,000 number

Here are a bunch of ABQ pictures from other users: https://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...to-thread.html

Rich
Awesome photos, now I know where the street name "Tramway Blvd" comes from The Sandias look like a lot of fun and that restaurant looks amazing

City's anti-gang laws ineffective | Albuquerque, N.M. | KRQE News 13

I got the 7000 number from that link

Im not trying to knock Albuquerque, Im in love with it. But this is just a link I found
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 09:54 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,067,126 times
I'll tell you this. I lived most of my childhood in Montebello, CA, which is next door to ELA. I'm very aware of gangs and their culture.

First, most of the gangs here are nothing more than posers and just a name of an area. Sure there are some bad ones but for the most part you don't run across them.

Second, most gang violence is gang on gang violence.

I'm more worried about being attacked by coyotes then being a subject of gang violence.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:16 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,831,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Awesome photos, now I know where the street name "Tramway Blvd" comes from The Sandias look like a lot of fun and that restaurant looks amazing

Im not trying to knock Albuquerque, Im in love with it. But this is just a link I found
We have a lot of tourists who get lost in the Sandias. Those pictures don't have any good mountains views which is impressive...

Well, looks like you were correct. At least for what the paper said. I do not believe thos numbers, but that is a different issue.

Quote:
Current estimates put the number of gangs in the city of Albuquerque at more than 100 with more than 7,000 active gang members.
I owe you a beer, ah, three beers. Get hold of me on you next trip through...

Rich

Old 02-19-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
We have a lot of tourists who get lost in the Sandias. Those pictures don't have any good mountains views which is impressive...

Well, looks like you were correct. At least for what the paper said. I do not believe thos numbers, but that is a different issue.

I owe you a beer, ah, three beers. Get hold of me on you next trip through...

Rich
We'll share a pack of Leinenkugel's Summer Sampler Pack fair enough? Lol

Does ABQ have any local micro breweries?

Old 02-19-2012, 12:35 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,831,987 times
Quote:
We'll share a pack of Leinenkugel's Summer Sampler Pack fair enough? Lol

Does ABQ have any local micro breweries?
Yep: ABQ Breweries

I don't know if this list is complete: Albuquerque Beer Breweries - Beer Breweries in Albuquerque

Rich

Old 02-19-2012, 08:44 PM

5,056 posts, read 7,442,606 times
Quote:

Fine, count the gang members, but Orlando's violent crime rate is still higher than Albuquerque's in 3 out of 5 categories.

(rate per 100,000, 2010 figures)

robbery: ABQ 172.4; Orlando 279.7
assault: ABQ 544.7; Orlando 757
burglary: ABQ 1002; Orlando 1671

roughly the same for murder:

ABQ 7.7; Orlando 7.5

Rape higher in ABQ:

ABQ: 62; Orlando 47

So, do the gang numbers still scare you?

Old 02-19-2012, 09:02 PM

393 posts, read 1,116,123 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the info about ABQ guys.

When I drove through a few days ago, one thing that really caught my eye (especially since I drove through around 6 pm, was the was the low orange sun was shining on the Sandias, they looked so beautiful with the snow on them. Does ABQ get a lot of snow?
The South Valley gets about a 1/2 inch. The Heights get a little more. East Mountain Area gets variable amounts, from a few inches to a few feet. Sandia Mountain get the most.

Quote:
Somebody I know pointed out gang violence is a problem in ABQ and showed me a news link that the city has over 7,000 gang members for a metro of 900,000 thats a LOT considering my hometown with a metro of 2 million only has 2,500
Much of my high school (Rio Grande, 1984) was in gangs, mostly innocuous, apart from selling marijuana, petty vandalism, fights (sometimes with knives) and general juvenile mischief.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Fine, count the gang members, but Orlando's violent crime rate is still higher than Albuquerque's in 3 out of 5 categories.

(rate per 100,000, 2010 figures)

robbery: ABQ 172.4; Orlando 279.7
assault: ABQ 544.7; Orlando 757
burglary: ABQ 1002; Orlando 1671

roughly the same for murder:

ABQ 7.7; Orlando 7.5

Rape higher in ABQ:

ABQ: 62; Orlando 47

So, do the gang numbers still scare you?
Crime has always been a problem in Orlando, but there aren't many (if any) organized gangs here. It just surprises me that a relatively small metro of 900,000 has that many gang members thats all

Like I said Im not here to knock ABQ, you seem to be very proud of your town, as I am about Orlando. I am willing to get out and explore the rest of the country (that shows after spending the previous two yrs in Las Vegas)

I LOVE the desert SW, and maybe ABQ will be my next stop. We'll see

But considering those crime numbers, I wont worry about the crime in ABQ anymore

Old 02-19-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooua View Post
The South Valley gets about a 1/2 inch. The Heights get a little more. East Mountain Area gets variable amounts, from a few inches to a few feet. Sandia Mountain get the most.

Much of my high school (Rio Grande, 1984) was in gangs, mostly innocuous, apart from selling marijuana, petty vandalism, fights (sometimes with knives) and general juvenile mischief.
I noticed as I drove from west to east on I-40 there was more and more snow on the ground

Around the Tramway Blvd exit there was more snow on the ground than there was at the Coors Blvd exit (btw love that name, even though its more appropriate for Denver)

I also lived in Connecticut from 2001-2006, they receive about 40+ inches of snow annually, I heard ABQ receives around 10 or so? I think I can tolerate that

Old 02-19-2012, 10:09 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,067,126 times
Coors Blvd was named after a state supreme court judge in the late 40's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque