Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:25 PM

430 posts, read 1,651,964 times

Advertisements

Albuquerque in general is laidback, you should be fine.

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 10:28 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,811,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I think the OP is referring to Chaparral Elementary School in NW ABQ.
Ahhhh... That clarifies it a bit. Thank you. As Gilda Radner would say "Never Mind"

Rich

Old 02-21-2012, 11:27 PM

508 posts, read 1,087,812 times
Albuquerque is very live-and-let-live. However, the older parts of town will be moreso.

I'd recommend looking at the north valley or neighborhoods just to the northeast of UNM (ie Altura Park area) for kid-friendly and socially liberal neighborhoods.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:25 AM

23 posts, read 64,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Alameda and North Valley are in the immediate Albuquerque area, as is Rio Rancho.

Chaparral, New Mexico?

Chaparral, New Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rich
Oops, no -- Corrales. Don't know where my brain was when I was typing. Is Corrales liberal/good schools? Or conservative like Rio Rancho?

Old 02-22-2012, 09:34 AM

23 posts, read 64,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
This school area in the north valley would probably be a great fit:

Welcome to the Frontpage It's a charter school with lottery admission.

Your best bets would be near the UNM area: (Bandelier Elem.), North of UNM near Montezuma Elem, Monte Vista Elem & Zia Elem., in the north valley at Mountain Mahogany Community School mentioned above & very liberal), and Corrales Elem. in Corrales (at the NW end of Albuquerque).

I'm sure there are many others.
Thanks for the info, Lobo and others -- the school does look like a great fit! And Corrales was the town I was thinking of -- I did get confused with Chapparal school.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:13 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,389,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Interesting, both sides should be me tolerant of each other.
I think that for the most part, people of differing political views here in Albuquerque are tolerant of each other. That is why I dislike when subtle intolerance makes its way onto this board and I get all sarcastic. Apologies for that.

As far as the OPs query, I think you should be fine in any part of the city. Look for the type of neighborhood you want to live in without regard for the politics of the neighbors.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:49 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,811,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libmom View Post
Oops, no -- Corrales. Don't know where my brain was when I was typing. Is Corrales liberal/good schools? Or conservative like Rio Rancho?
So you understand, Corrales and Rio Rancho are in Sandoval County and Albuquerque is in Bernalillo County. Rio Rancho has their own School system (RRPS) Welcome to Rio Rancho Public Schools Albuquerque has their own School system (APS) Welcome to Albuquerque Public Schools .

Corrales has a few schools for younger children, and for the higher grades they for the large part go to Albuquerque Public Schools. It has changed over the years. Corrales International School (CIS) is a tuition-free, multi-language (English, Spanish, Mandarin) charter school which is located in Albuquerque. You might find Corrales to be expensive, the schools they do have appear to be good.

There is no absolute liberal/conservative absolutes that I am aware of in Rio Rancho, I've done volunteer work for three different political parties. I can't speeak for Corrales except that a few friends we have there are older Spanish families which seem to be conservative...

My wife and I have lived in Rio Rancho since 1998, with kids and grandkids. We also have a home in Albuquerque which we rent out, preferring to just stay in Rio Rancho. You might look through thris thread. Guide me through YOUR Rio Rancho

Rich

Old 02-22-2012, 01:45 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,191,399 times
Rio Rancho and Corrales aren't appreciably different from Albuquerque when it comes to live-and-let-live attitudes. You'll find closed-minded individuals anywhere, but not everywhere like in some communities.

I know of plenty of Rio Rancho residents with similar lifestyles to yours, and Corrales doesn't differ when it comes to that either.

Homeowner neighbors in these parts typically care far more about you leaving your yard unkempt or having loud parties than what takes place inside your house.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:55 PM

923 posts, read 2,421,260 times
Corrales has a mix, but the ones I know are all laid-back liberals -- lawyers & doctors and a mix of others. I can't think of one conservative I know who lives in Corrales -- okay, I thought of 1, but the wife is liberal and the husband is conservative.

Corrales has Corrales Elem. School which is part of Albuquerque Public Schools. It is a decent school. About 1/2 of the kids go to private school after the 5th grade. The ones who stay in a public school (that is not a charter school) go to Taylor Middle School in the north valley. My kids went to Taylor, and it is/was not stellar, but not bad. Many of my kids' friends live in Corrales. I think it's better than James Monroe, LBJ, and Tony Hillerman on the West Side. It's smaller so class sizes are smaller. The principal knows all of the kids. It's the same size as the elementary school I work at. There's a mix of very high income, middle class, and poverty at Taylor.

And yeah, my honors high school kid spent 3 years at Taylor and it didn't hurt her a bit.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:11 AM

73 posts, read 175,927 times
I don't think things, as a whole, fall into cookie-cutter uniformity. In a neighborhood, you might have an Archie Bunker type, but who cares. Most people won't care.

I lived next to a lesbian couple in allegedly conservative Alabama and they were OK, I guess. They agreed with me that the neighbor across the street needed to have his son locked up in prison. So there's always something you can bond with the locals about.

Your enjoyment of any place will be the friends you make. And 99% of the time they won't be your neighbors. That's just the way it is these days.

[my first post ]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque