Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 06:03 PM

35 posts, read 80,045 times

Advertisements

So my husband and I are in our mid-to-late 20s, been married ten months, living in NYC, and have been trying to figure out where to begin our lives together. Since he studies astronomy we both felt it would be a great place for such. As well, I study linguistics and speak 5 languages fluently (Spanish included). I know there's a military base nearby, and I know they have high demand for language translators. How would this work if we have no military training? If it can't would there be other jobs available? I've heard bad things about the job market in New Mexico, but I'm still hoping we can find something.

We do plan to start a family, so how would this hold up? I've heard bad things about the crime rate, but what neighbourhoods would be the most safest? Are the public schools any good? Would Rio Rancho be a better place to live? I'm not a really big fan of suburban areas but I guess I could make do. I would like to raise my children speaking English and Spanish, so what schools would be best for an immersion programme?

Originally I thought Albuquerque would be great, but I'm beginning to get discouraged. My husband has some family in the state and my grandparents have a condo in Santa Fe.
Speaking of Santa Fe, should we look more into that instead of ABQ? However I'm afraid it may be too expensive and too tacky, I'm not a huge fan of tourist-y areas.

Anything else I didn't cover please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 07:09 AM

5,046 posts, read 7,430,564 times
How do you support yourself now, with astronomy and speaking 5 languages? Is he going to be continuing his studies here? Do you have a practical application for your linguistic skills? Customer service, social work? I am not aware of the base having a demand for translators. Have you verified this?

Old 03-16-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
How do you support yourself now, with astronomy and speaking 5 languages? Is he going to be continuing his studies here? Do you have a practical application for your linguistic skills? Customer service, social work? I am not aware of the base having a demand for translators. Have you verified this?
I work as an interpreter and translator for the city government as more than 200 languages are spoken within the city. I'm also a journalist and creative writer on the side. My husband has not been able to find many jobs for astronomy (I mean it's New York, really), but has been working various short term jobs to establish himself as an astronomer, and yes he does plan to continue studies.
Also when I said demand for translators, I meant the military in general, not just the particular base. Forgive me for not making that clear.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:44 PM

508 posts, read 1,087,653 times
Well, let me first say that everything you've heard (from what it sounds) is incorrect.

Albuquerque will be a major adjustment from Brooklyn, and everywhere is going to feel fairly suburban, though there are many perfectly safe pre-WW2 neighborhoods in ABQ, some of which will have decent schools - check into areas just NE of UNM, or ridgecrest/Nob Hill. I wouldn't settle for living in Rio Rancho (though some like it) if you are in your 20's, even if you are considering having kids. I mean, school, even if it will be a concern, will still be years away.

You might just try to move here and rent at first in town, and then see how you like it/where in town you enjoy. Albuquerque (and New Mexico) are different from everywhere else. You'll either love it, or you won't.

A lot of folks come in worried about crime. Albuquerque has an average crime rate for a city its size. It's just not really something you should be worried about - except as always, to take the usual pro-cautions...

Santa Fe shares a few similarities with ABQ, but not many. It is very small, tourist-oriented in the center, and rather expensive (for NM). Older folks with money tend to prefer Santa Fe to ABQ, but I personally think it works better as a destination for a weekend or a daytrip than as a place to live. It can be rather stuffy/pretentious IMO.

The job market here can be tough, but it certainly helps that you have the language skills that you do - especially Spanish, though you won't need it day-to-day. I believe there are a few language-immersion schools, but I can't speak to that directly.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:22 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,172,649 times
I'm sure the OP probably knows about the astronomical sites in NM. There are two important ones at Sunspot, south of Cloudcroft. And another SW of Socorro. Prominent is the VLA (very large array) radio telescope installation west of Socorro.

Language skills may well be in demand at the numerous military installations in southern NM. There is a German presence at Holloman AFB with a German school in Alamogordo. Other foreigners circulate through the White Sands Missile Range and surrounding installations. These are in close proximity to the astronomical sites in the mountains above Alamogordo.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I'm sure the OP probably knows about the astronomical sites in NM. There are two important ones at Sunspot, south of Cloudcroft. And another SW of Socorro. Prominent is the VLA (very large array) radio telescope installation west of Socorro.

Language skills may well be in demand at the numerous military installations in southern NM. There is a German presence at Holloman AFB with a German school in Alamogordo. Other foreigners circulate through the White Sands Missile Range and surrounding installations. These are in close proximity to the astronomical sites in the mountains above Alamogordo.

Southern NM doesn't appeal to me as much, but if it's where I can find work, I might just check it out.
German is not one of the languages I speak unfortunately.

Quote:
Albuquerque will be a major adjustment from Brooklyn, and everywhere is going to feel fairly suburban, though there are many perfectly safe pre-WW2 neighborhoods in ABQ, some of which will have decent schools - check into areas just NE of UNM, or ridgecrest/Nob Hill.
I have moved a lot in my life so hopefully it won't be too tough of a move. I spent a lot of my holidays in Arizona and New Mexico as a kid, and I love it down there. I know that it can be an adjustment as I've had to adjust from Seattle when I moved to New York. I'm also a fan of older homes, that's good news for me.

This information is very useful, thank you.

Last edited by where2raise; 03-16-2012 at 05:48 PM..

Old 03-17-2012, 05:33 PM

662 posts, read 1,451,822 times
I just judged a Destination Imagination tournament here in ABQ, and one of the schools that competed was a charter school with a Spanish Immersion program here in ABQ. The kids learn 60% or more a day in Spanish and later use more English. It is for children who are not native Spanish speakers. I don't remember the name of the school.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:09 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,744,450 times
Corrales International school?

Old 03-18-2012, 02:56 AM

93 posts, read 239,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by where2raise View Post
So my husband and I are in our mid-to-late 20s, been married ten months, living in NYC, and have been trying to figure out where to begin our lives together. Since he studies astronomy we both felt it would be a great place for such. As well, I study linguistics and speak 5 languages fluently (Spanish included). I know there's a military base nearby, and I know they have high demand for language translators. How would this work if we have no military training? If it can't would there be other jobs available? I've heard bad things about the job market in New Mexico, but I'm still hoping we can find something.

We do plan to start a family, so how would this hold up? I've heard bad things about the crime rate, but what neighbourhoods would be the most safest? Are the public schools any good? Would Rio Rancho be a better place to live? I'm not a really big fan of suburban areas but I guess I could make do. I would like to raise my children speaking English and Spanish, so what schools would be best for an immersion programme?

Originally I thought Albuquerque would be great, but I'm beginning to get discouraged. My husband has some family in the state and my grandparents have a condo in Santa Fe.
Speaking of Santa Fe, should we look more into that instead of ABQ? However I'm afraid it may be too expensive and too tacky, I'm not a huge fan of tourist-y areas.

Anything else I didn't cover please let me know.
Maybe you should try the Defense Language Institute at the Presidio of Monterrey California. Military and civilian members study foreign languages and I'm sure they need instructors. I have a friend who was sent there before he went to Iraq.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplr View Post
Maybe you should try the Defense Language Institute at the Presidio of Monterrey California. Military and civilian members study foreign languages and I'm sure they need instructors. I have a friend who was sent there before he went to Iraq.
Funny you say that, I do like California's Central Coast and that was another place we've been thinking of moving. We still don't have our hearts set on a location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque