Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 12:42 PM

8 posts, read 26,517 times

Advertisements

My family of 5 and I are planning to move to ABQ from PA. I am an RN with 10+ years of exp and my husband works in Social Srvcs. I plan to sell my house here and rent in ABQ until I know where I want to buy. Where should I look for housing, decent schools (HS and elementary), decent paying jobs, and a relatively safe neighborhood in the ABQ area? Should we secure employment prior to a rental search? Or would a landlord/management co. rent to us based upon cash$ down and savings? Just looking for suggestions and any guidance you may have. We are sure ABQ is the place we want to be. Although we do OK in PA, we need a change that includes, friendly and welcoming communities, not to mention better weather!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 02:09 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,341 times
Elementary: Either Double Eagle or North Star
Middle: Desert Ridge
High: La Cueva. If not, El Dorado. If not, Sandia.

Look in the far northeast heights for more expensive housing.
For nice and new but less expensive houses look into the Westside or Rio Rancho.
For more established neighborhoods, but are still nice, look off of Ventura and Holbrook, staying on North Side of City. This will all make much more sense when you see the city.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:27 PM

47 posts, read 237,146 times
Anywhere in the NE heights would be good for you. I attended "Hubert Humphrey" elementary and La Cueva High school. I'm currently an IT guy for APS (Albuquerque Public Schools) and I lived in the NE heights from 8 years old to 18. I personally would NOT recommend living in the LCHS district, instead live somewhere near Sandia Highschool or Eldorado. If you want a google maps of the surrounding areas of the schools let me know.

(i don't suggest living in the LCHS district because that school is going to complete shi*)

Old 09-24-2007, 09:53 AM

Thank you for the information. This is great guidance. I wish I wasn't so nervous. The only thing I know is that I want to move to ABQ, I will continue to need your help on how I'll pull it all off--so keep the info coming
Do new businesses seem to do well overall in ABQ? Also, what types of businesses seem to flourish?

Old 09-25-2007, 11:08 PM

150 posts, read 792,024 times
Default Where oh where?

I pretty much agree with a couple of the previous contributors. It's either the "Far" Northeast Heights (East of Wyoming Blvd / North of Menual Blvd) for the best combination of safe neighborhoods (and nice), and good schools. Albuquerque has designated feeder schools. This elementary goes on to this middle school, and these middle schools go on to this high school. You can check the Albuquerque Public Schools for map boundaries, but they are in the process of being changed at this time I believe.

Any neighborhoods in the area designated above would feed to La Cueva, Eldorado, or Sandia high schools. The expressed displeasure with La Cueva all depends on who attends that high school. It is Albuquerque's newest, and most "preppie," with a preponderance of anglos. My preppie nephew loved it. My punk-rocker neice hated evey day there. Sandia has been the #1 high school for SAT scores, offers some special coarses for those gifted, and bored...and is more economically, and ethnically balanced. El Dorado has a mix of ethnic, and economic levels also.

After the "Far" Northeast Heights, the west side does offer some nice areas west of the new Cottonwood Mall on Coors Blvd., and in the independent city of Rio Rancho. It is the fastest growing city in NM. Both the heights and RR have relatively low crime rates. On the west side, stay north of Paseo del Norte Blvd. and you'll be OK. The Albuquerque high school over there would be Cibola, and RR has it's own new high school, and they're already planning another. The only caveat about the west side...if you work on the east side of the Rio Grande, the traffic commutes are just awful! Not enough bridges for too many cars. If you live in the Heights, and can avoid having to use the two Interstates to work, that is a huge plus.

Nurses are always in short supply here, although this is a great medical community, led by the UNM's School of Medicine and Trama Hospital. UNM is also one of the foremost cancer research institutions in the U.S. If I had to guess which business had the best chance of being successful here...it would be a Pre-school / Nursery-school. Seems every one is packed with kids, even though there are dozens around. The more people move to Albuquerque and environs, the more kids they bring. :-)

My opinions (and that is all they are), are based on 24 years in Albuquerque. I've never regretted moving here for a minute. You'll either love it, or hate it, and leave after 5 years. (You have to give it a chance.) Biggest plus, the great, year round weather. Goldilocks would have loved it here. Not too hot, not too cold...just right! Oh...and very low humidity. You don't know what you've been missing to the East, until you've experienced it for yourself. Good luck.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:51 AM

I truly appreciate your comments. Great info. I'm still figuring out all of the details but I am so determined to make this move. My family is as anxious as I am.
Keep sending me any and all advice.
ABQ Newcomers---How did you do it?
Thanks All~

Old 09-26-2007, 07:05 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,611,388 times
Do new businesses seem to do well overall in ABQ? Also, what types of businesses seem to flourish?

If my employer research is anything to go by, someone who could design and host websites for small businesses at a reasonable price could make a killing in ABQ. I'm amazed at how UN-tech the businesses are that I'm researching (accounting & CPA firms). A simple website with info on services offered, location, and contact info is so easy to do and pretty much a necessity these days - not everyone looks your business up in the phone book.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:55 AM

Yukon: I've noticed the lack of local ABQ business info via the net. As an RN I've turned to the IT side of healthcare, building and supporting healthcare systems so I've become pretty reliant on technology. I don't mind changing my pace if that means more peace in my life, but I am spoiled by the speed and access. Your info is giving me an idea, so thanks!
Back to basics: I can't seem to find to much info on salary ranges in ABQ, but are the salaries typically acceptable/do-able for the cost of living in ABQ?
Maybe I just worry too much....

Old 09-27-2007, 08:56 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,611,388 times
For what it's worth, in the area I'm looking at (non-degreed accounting/tax), the wages appear reasonable, about the same range as here in Tampa, but the cost of living (rents, anyway) are less in ABQ (meaning I could take a cut in pay if necessary and still survive there). Somewhat reassuring given the possible upcoming recession

Old 09-27-2007, 09:53 AM

13 posts, read 90,973 times
As an RN you should have no trouble finding a job - Albuquerque needs nurses with experience.

Try phs.org, unmh.com or lovelace.com
It's pretty competitive here and if you arrange it ahead of time you might be able to get moving expenses paid and a sign-on bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque