Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 08:22 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,999,247 times

Advertisements

Here are some xeriscape gardens to visit around the city:

Xeriscape gardens to visit.

The 7th one listed is the Eubank median. What I really like about this planting is that it's un-irrigated (but still very beautiful). For the past several months they have been extending those median plantings southwards from Juan Tabo, and have almost reached Montgomery. Very impressive.

As the plantings betw. Academy & Juan Tabo have matured, they've become quite attractive, and also very healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 10:25 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,031,622 times
they should do more of the un-irragated landscapes,I really like the look of Ocotillos,yuccas and cactus.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:59 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,717,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
The 7th one listed is the Eubank median.

For the past several months they have been extending those median plantings southwards from Juan Tabo, and have almost reached Montgomery. Very impressive.

Academy & Juan Tabo have matured, they've become quite attractive, and also very healthy.
Ah, TR, I love that Eubank median. Just well done - very ABQ-esque. I love the mix of yuccas (especially some awesome yucca faxonias) and even a nice, big Joshua Tree.

Agreed that that median is very well done. From Academy all the way (almost) down to Montgomery. One of my favorite median-landscapings in all of ABQ.

You, know, just yesterday, it depressed me, as I realize it has been almost 9 months now that I have not had a foot stepped into ABQ. That is about 8 months too long by my internal body-clock. I wish I could visualize the matured plantings...ummm...even more maturing! Thanks for the "mental image" though, TR!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
they should do more of the un-irragated landscapes,I really like the look of Ocotillos,yuccas and cactus.
Agreed fully, desert. I am a fan of all three in ABQ. Even some of the hardier barrel cacti, some agaves, etc., are good mixes for cacti, along with the ocotillo and the yuccas as you mentioned.

Also would like to see them incorporate a little bit more in way of cold hardy palm trees occasionally like the Trachy Fortunei (Windmill Palm) - as cold hardy palm trees in the proper microclimates do very well in ABQ and also require very little watering.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:59 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,717,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
The 7th one listed is the Eubank median.

For the past several months they have been extending those median plantings southwards from Juan Tabo, and have almost reached Montgomery. Very impressive.

Academy & Juan Tabo have matured, they've become quite attractive, and also very healthy.
Ah, TR, I love that Eubank median. Just well done - very ABQ-esque. I love the mix of yuccas (especially some awesome yucca faxonias) and even a nice, big Joshua Tree.

Agreed that that median is very well done. From Academy all the way (almost) down to Montgomery. One of my favorite median-landscapings in all of ABQ.

You, know, just yesterday, it depressed me, as I realize it has been almost 9 months now that I have not had a foot stepped into ABQ. That is about 8 months too long by my internal body-clock. I wish I could visualize the matured plantings...ummm...even more maturing! Thanks for the "mental image" though, TR!!

BTW - another very well done median tends to be Motgomery Blvd. east of the Eubank area, up through to Tramway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Agreed fully, desert. I am a fan of all three in ABQ. Even some of the hardier barrel cacti, some agaves, etc., are good mixes for cacti, along with the ocotillo and the yuccas as you mentioned.

Also would like to see them incorporate a little bit more in way of cold hardy palm trees occasionally like the Trachy Fortunei (Windmill Palm) - as cold hardy palm trees in the proper microclimates do very well in ABQ and also require very little watering.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:10 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,031,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post

BTW - another very well done median tends to be Motgomery Blvd. east of the Eubank area, up through to Tramway.

there were some windmill palms planted at a new business center last summer on Alameda east of Jericho Nursery but they took them out a few months later,I dont know why but maybe they dont do too well on drip systems,but I wish they would plant some more around the city,I saw the windmill palms at the Hilton at the Big I in December and they looked really good for being in winter temps.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:24 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,085,640 times
EnjoyEP pining for the fjords mentioned:

> BTW - another very well done median tends to be Montgomery Blvd.
> east of the Eubank area, up through to Tramway.

Don't forget Tramway landscaping. It cost a bunch and there was a big stink about it then, but it reallly looks good now with about 90% xeric along with some strategically placed irrigated trees that probably don't need any irrigation any more (if they are even getting it now at all). Some of the vegetation is native, but not exactly at that elevation.

You can use an off-road trail all the way to the actual Tram road from I-40. There are some areas with a trail on both sides. Really serious bikers like Tramway from I-25 to I-40 for its wide shoulders the whole way.

Many in-shape and some not so can be seen walking/running/blading/biking the trail in the morning among all the native vegetation.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:15 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,963,823 times
But Mortimer I would love to see the Tramway median also xeriscaped like the Eubank, Montgomery, Menaul stretches instead of dirt and weeds. Tramway is one of the truly nice boulevards in the city what with the beautiful Sandias framing it from the east and views to the city and west mesa to the west.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:40 PM

53 posts, read 162,874 times
I visited the APD Xeriscape Garden at Osuna & Wyoming last week. The trees were in bloom and I took some very nice photos with my DSLR. But the last time I was there was several years ago and I seem to remember it looking much better then.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:48 PM

53 posts, read 162,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
I would love to see the Tramway median also xeriscaped like the Eubank, Montgomery, Menaul stretches instead of dirt and weeds.
Tramway is a high income corridor... I'm sure they can afford a special assessment in that area to get it done.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:06 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,999,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Don't forget Tramway landscaping. It cost a bunch and there was a big stink about it then, but it reallly looks good now with about 90% xeric along with some strategically placed irrigated trees that probably don't need any irrigation any more (if they are even getting it now at all). Some of the vegetation is native, but not exactly at that elevation.
I would consider the drive north on Tramway, from I-40 towards I-25, a "scenic" drive. Although it goes through some suburban areas, I never tire of the close-up mtn views and driving under those cool pedestrian bridges. And like Mortimer said, the landscaping is awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque