Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 09:06 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,229,418 times

Advertisements

Yeah.. my wife's family has too much grass (for the area) @ about 1000 sq ft. As for my family... just let the mess dry-up and pick it up later. Welcome to the land of manana!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 09:32 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,922,720 times
Many houses have Xeric Front yards with lawns in the backyard.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:18 AM

145 posts, read 481,852 times
Jrod,

Not to get too deep in it but, because it is so dry here its actually very easy to clean up after a dog. Now mind you I have a Jack Russell, not an Irish Wolfhound. I also use a very high qual dog food (little waste). IF you dont clean up after It petrifies and will still be there in 20yrs.

With respect to paying for lawns, if the home you are interested has a nice green lawn ask to see the water bill for the last month or so. This is perfectly acceptable. granted the number of people in the household is relevent. I do know without a lawn and 1 person its the min $34 a month. with 2 people and a small nice lawn its over $100.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:37 PM

20 posts, read 83,897 times
Thanks for all the information, especially EnjoyEP. I've used your advice as a starting point for my research. There seems to be a surprising number of trees that have low water needs, grow best in full sun, and are hardy down to 10 degrees or less.

What trees have you specifically had experience with?

Old 07-15-2008, 04:29 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,481,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghoo View Post
a couple of shots of landscaping that was put in at a house I am remodeling.
might be useful. Very affordable. No maintenance.
Very well done! Clean, simple, low-maintenance, attractive!

Old 07-15-2008, 07:31 PM

145 posts, read 481,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Very well done! Clean, simple, low-maintenance, attractive!
Thnx Steve-o. Too kind

Old 07-16-2008, 09:57 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,481,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghoo View Post
Thnx Steve-o. Too kind
No prob!

Did you do anything with the backyard?

Old 07-16-2008, 10:07 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,728,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfLosAngeles View Post
What trees have you specifically had experience with?
Tree-wise, I love fruit trees.

Try peach trees or nectarine or plum or apricot - all great for ABQ's sunny / warm climate; (but the great thing is that most fruit trees - outside of citrus which wouldn't cut it in ABQ - need some of the chilling / freezing that ABQ's winter nights provide...this is why these particular trees do so well in an Atlanta which also has freezing / chilling winter nights versus a Phoenix where it is too hot).

The blossoms are unbelievable in March - so pretty and aromatic - and the bonus is you get to eat fruit in the summer. Usually good for shade too.

Otherwise, Crape Myrtle, Desert Willow, Lacebark Elm, Cottonwood, and Kentucky Coffee tree are good, easy, low maintenance.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:23 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,916,377 times
What is a good source for Crape Myrtle? We were at the BioPark last week and my husband wondered out loud if Crape Myrtle would do well here.

And a question for the experts. Does buffalo grass fill in over a couple of seasons? We planted from seed this spring and have a budding lawn but it definitely needs to fill in. Wondering if we should overseed this season or wait til next spring or summer to see what happens.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:34 AM

1,763 posts, read 6,004,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
And a question for the experts. Does buffalo grass fill in over a couple of seasons? We planted from seed this spring and have a budding lawn but it definitely needs to fill in. Wondering if we should overseed this season or wait til next spring or summer to see what happens.
Lisdol - I would try a combination of overseeding and perhaps some add'l buffalo plugs. Make sure the soil where you plan to overseed is not too hard-packed or dry; if you can loosen it up and even put down some add'l soil it will help. Plugs can be bought at area nurseries, in flats of ~ 72. Alameda Nursery sells them for $22, although we got some grama mixed in with the buffalo which sucks because it grows much higher, and needs to be mowed/cut. The buffalo plugs we got at Plants of the Southwest [$34?] were all buffalo, no grama.

If you do wait a season to let it fill in [which buffalo is only too eager to do], still try to make sure the soil is moist & loose enough too let the roots establish. We planted our buffalo lawn from plugs exclusively [recommended] but in retrospect I wish we had started from seed like you. I think it creates a denser and more sod-like lawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque