Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2007, 08:09 AM

3 posts, read 12,360 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are trying to narrow down some areas of interest in ALB. We keep running across this Anderson Heights and especially Peach Tree. Through some of the posts we have read, apparently it is unwise to venture south of I-40, does this hold true for new communities? Crime in these areas, is it capital or what? We just want a new home in a nice area and maybe not have to sell a kidney or two to get it. Does anyone need to buy a Kidney (JK). Ultimately it's all about safety with a caveat on travel time to the airport. Inputs, suggestions, warnings, anything helps. Thank you ladies and Gentlemen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 09:58 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
Have absolutely never heard of either of these communities/developments.

Upon closer look, this is Rio Bravo & 118th St SW.

Since this is what most Albuquerqueans would consider "BFE", I strongly suggest you give thought to where you're going to find employment near there. With oil hitting $93/barrel today and gas prices certain to hit the mid-$3's and above next year, maybe it's worth a bit more to have a home in the city, rather than sprawlytown.

The pattern is pretty well established: Developers find the cheapest lots they can, dump cheap houses on the market to the most marginal of homebuyers, and clear out. The homebuyers (not all, but enough) default, get foreclosed, and the newish development becomes a slum of rentals and vacant homes in a few short years. All with a road-rage-inducing snakepit of roads that get more cars every day.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:18 PM

741 posts, read 2,922,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJSP24 View Post
My wife and I are trying to narrow down some areas of interest in ALB. We keep running across this Anderson Heights and especially Peach Tree. Through some of the posts we have read, apparently it is unwise to venture south of I-40, does this hold true for new communities? Crime in these areas, is it capital or what? We just want a new home in a nice area and maybe not have to sell a kidney or two to get it. Does anyone need to buy a Kidney (JK). Ultimately it's all about safety with a caveat on travel time to the airport. Inputs, suggestions, warnings, anything helps. Thank you ladies and Gentlemen.
My reply to you from the "Where should we NOT live in ABQ?" thread:

This development actually appears to be located in the SW part of town, not the SE. This is an area that is probably seeing the most active housing development in town (primarily entry level). This also is the area where they are building a new high school (Atrisco Heritage Academy) scheduled to open in 2008.

There are those that will say that they have no problem living in the area you cite. I would not be one of them. This general area (SW Albuquerque) has a long history of gang/drug activity, violence and one of the few places in town I personally could not recommend living in, particularly if you have children. Most of the worst schools in ABQ are located in this quadrant of town, with an incredibly high number of ESL students.

I am not sure what it is in particular that attracts you to this development, but I would strongly recommend seeking an alternate place to purchase a home.

Chap

Old 10-31-2007, 05:55 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
Zoidberg eloquently stated:

> The pattern is pretty well established: Developers ... dump ...
> default, get foreclosed, .... snakepit of roads .....

Excellent. Well put.

> ... gas prices certain to hit the mid-$3's and above next year,
> maybe it's worth a bit more to have a home in the city, ....

If your time has any value, this is true for $1/gallon gasoline.
Gas would have to go well over $10/gallon for that part of the
equation to have more weight than my time.

( I had to look up BFE. I know BFD, but never heard BFE as an acronym.)

Old 10-31-2007, 04:53 PM

116 posts, read 471,851 times
If you move to that area, anywhere in the South Valley these days, make sure you speak Spanish....no joke. Storefronts and everything else are in Spanish. I grew up in the South Valley many years ago and it wasnt like that then but now its very different. The houses are cheap for a reason. Look at the NW Heights, very nice and lots of new building going on

Old 10-07-2009, 05:44 AM

1 posts, read 4,467 times
Default Anderson Heights is a good Neighborhood

We have lived here for three years and have no problems. There are more and more people moving into the neighborhood that work around or close to the base since it only takes about 20 minutes to get to and from work. We live in the gated neighborhood. We went to a home owners meeting last night and KB is coming in to finish more homes and build another 3 acre park. Good prices for lots of room. We love our house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJSP24 View Post

Old 10-07-2009, 08:41 PM

132 posts, read 291,189 times
The south of I-40 thing is completely bogus. The area between I-40, I-25, Coal, and San Mateo (plus Ridgecrest and "Fringecrest") is a great area in a well established area of the city. Some of that is student housing which is probably not what you are looking for. However, this area will allow you to spend much more time enjoying life instead of commuting to a "safe" gated neighborhood or any of the other suburban areas.

There are also nice, new suburban neighborhoods up in the far southeast heights along South Juan Tabo. It's about 15 minutes from the airport.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,893 times
I live in anderson heights and was one of the original folks to purchase. this is a newer development and there are many people who care about where they live. we love our home and made it our home with backyard gardens. it seems to be a new mexico thing you will have a well groomed home and a not so well groomed home in every neighborhood. we like the convieniience to I40 and I25. i work at the university and find it a very easy commute compared to in town. i love the rural feel hiking is available near the volcanos. is it perfect, no. but i think if you have kids there is a lovely park and i think you have to give it time to become a neighborhood. good luck

Old 09-30-2010, 03:38 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,720 times
Anderson Heights is infact nice... but like stated, some people do not care about their yards.

There are really not any neighborhood associations out there to regulate. It is next to Atriso Heritage High School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque